I started swimming a year ago, and I could freely say that I'm in love with it. This feeling of complete body freedom I haven't found in any other physical activity and believe me when I say, I tried many. From women boxing to rock climbing, there isn't a thing I did not try. I have a question for you. What muscles get engaged in swimming? I'm interested in this because of the fact that water is not environment we spend our lives in, so are muscles developing in a different way?

I could freely say that almost all muscles are engaged in swimming, some more, some less. Legs are very used in all swimming styles. They work as a propeller, an engine if you like. Hands are used for extra forwarding and maintenance of right course. Swimming and diving are only activities in which our musculi intercostales are getting stronger. That's because they have to defeat water pressure in order to allow us to breath.