I'm having a tough time with my swim training. I am in excellent cardio shape, but by the time I reach the end of one lap I can't take it any more. I've slowly increased to being able to do a full down and back without stopping, but why is it so hard? I watch some of these other people just go and go and go. Help!

You have to try and relax. Easier said then done. I'll send you some short workouts with drills to help you.

Thanks guys.

Technique, technique, technique, swimming is really so different than running and biking, spending time learning the proper way and most efficient way to swim is vital to improving your speed and endurance in the bool.

Get a coach, go to a masters class, read a book (total immersion definitely taught me the basics), and in the beginning make sure each time you are in the pool you are doing some drills to train your body on the positions it needs to be in while swimming.

I could not even swim a length of a pool when I started, still am not the fastest fishie but feel very comfortable swimming over 2 miles.

My coach insists it's 'a girl thing', but apparently we tend to kick too hard/much. Your legs are supposed to be mainly for balance -- or so they tell me! I was having exactly this problem, and if I focus on just my arms, my legs go back to normal and I can make it to the end of the pool no problems. As soon as my focus drifts a bit, I start kicking too much and thinking that's going to make me faster (it doesn't, btw), and I end up gagging and dying for air. The point was driven home for me when I was swimming a lap with a pull buoy and my legs tied together, with only my arms and paddles to pull me forward. I was faster that way than with my legs, and I could go twice as many laps. Now I just keep repeating in my head arms arms arms arms arms arms arms arms head down arms arms arms arms arms head down arms arms arms arms arms arms arms arms arms arms ...well, I'm sure you get my point. :)

Great inspiration! I'm glad I happened upon this thread.

I am in 'fear' of trying to swim since I suck like a hoover and cannot make it to the end of the pool.
Bike: check
Run: gettin' there
Swim: haven't been near a pool for a year due to frustration

Maybe, just maybe I'll go work on some of the TI techniques for a few weeks. Then maybe, just maybe I'll try to swim a length or two.

OY!
signed,
:moon: Where's The Portojohn