I do not have pancreatitis, thank goodness, but I'm here because my 30 year old cousin is in the ICU right now with it and things are not looking good. My understanding is that a few days ago, she experienced breathing trouble and then two days ago, she was admitted to the hospital in great pain. She's now in an induced coma to spare her the suffering. I'm traveling to see her tomorrow morning and I'm nervous about seeing her. Not because I'm scared of hospitals, but because of what happened to me three years ago: I nearly died from cirrhosis of the liver due to alcoholism at age 42.  I'm incredibly lucky to be alive. I was in the ICU 12 days and it's taken me many, many months to feel better.

I'm writing on this post to address everyone wondering about drinking again. My advice is to stop right now, embrace the gift of your survival, and take advantage of the time you've abstained from drinking due to your illness. You will never get closer to sobriety than you are right now.

My craving for liquor, especially my beloved vodka, is gone. It takes less time than you think. I live in a pretty progressive area and I've found that smoking moderate amounts of marijuana helps me on a couple of levels--it eases my anxiety about my illness (my liver is damaged for life). It also lets me participate when my family and friends are drinking. Though I have an illness, I'm still me -- and 'me' likes to hang out and party. I smoke a little and get mellow while the drinkers are getting silly and slurry. I get to look forward to no hangover, restful sleep and a healthy appetite. My doctor says smoking pot is fine in moderation. My relationship with it is very different from the one I had with booze. Booze was a physical and emotional obsession. Marijuana gives a gentle, introspective feeling. I only use at home, never before driving or work.

Only you can decide what's right for you. I probably wouldn't have listened to me either, but please take this as advice from almost beyond the grave. I was so close to death thanks to alcohol that the priest came into the ICU and gave me last rites. For some 1 in 1000 reason, I was spared -- maybe to share my experience.

I've been reading all your stories and I was just in the hospital for Pancreatitis but unlike many of the stories on here, I am NOT a big drinker at all. I am a 22 year old College student and I drank with my friends over Thanksgiving break. I probably had about 5 mixed drinks over a 9 hour period. I was in the hospital for 6 days and the first 4 days were hell. It felt like someone was stabbing me in the stomach and it was awful. I actually had it for two days prior and did not even know it and somehow I went through everyday activities during these two days. It sounds like many people who get Pancreatitis, were heavy drinkers before but I wasn't. The last time I had drank before this night with my friends, was about a month prior. I would be totally fine with cutting alcohol from my life, but what about for very special occasions?? Is there less of a chance to get Pancreatitis again, if you were not a heavy drinker to begin with? I just find it very weird how I got this. I maybe over the course of the last 4 years, would get drunk 20 times a year and that's it. 90% of my friends drink 2-3 times every single week. I have had a couple very bad experiences with drinking in the past but never in my life, have I drank more than 10 times in a month. Most of the time I do drink, I get very mildly drunk and I would very rarely black out.

My main question is......Is it less likely to get Pancreatitis again, if you did not in the least bit abuse alcohol previously to getting Pancreatitis??

Hey, Are you still on here? If so I would like to talk to you about your situation. I had pancreatitis about 2 weeks ago and im very depressed about not being able to drink at all. Im scared to death to drink and everybody is saying never again! Mine was very mild. One of the levels, lipase i think, was only like 250 or 360. I know it was about 100 count above the top normal level. Ive heard of some people being 3000 or more! I never threw up. My belly hurt for about a day and a half and when I was admitted into the hospital I had already quit hurting. I went just because I read about the side effects of the prednisone I was taking and wanted to get checked out and. the pain had almost went away by the time I was seen that night.

hi guys im 36 yrs old and have not touched a DROP of alcohol since i was seriously ill with pancreatitis aged 20.... i did not get a diagnosis for 7 years!! each time i had an attack i would be bed ridden in severe pain, vomiting, dehydrated and hallucinating, i found out when i landed in hospital 16 yrs ago that i was infact in shock as a result of how poorly i was and i shoulda been in hospital each time on a drip and under supervision.... docs thought i had irritable bowel, slow appendicitis, growing pains, stomach cancer, you name it i had the tests!! all came back negative..... the thing with me was the attacks started before i drank alcohol so therefore it was not the direct cause... BUT when i started to drink aged 17 things got a lot lot worse.... the pain i experienced was worse than child birth.... my mates cried when they saw me in hospital as i looked like i was dying, i was told i was very lucky to be alive as even a single attack can kill you..... i must have had 3 a year for 7 yrs!!! the surgeon that diagnosed me saved my life. i am so so thankful for his expertise after years of being misdiagnosed and effectively killing myself, he told me my pancreas was 20% calcified, that if i carried on drinking at a steady level, as in at rhe weekends, i would be dead by 30.. FACT!!! that some people had been hospitalised after just one glass of wine... this is why i have not touched a drop since.... i found it easy to quit, at first i felt shy in social gatherings but within a year it became the norm, i would drive all my mates to clubs all over the uk (saving a lot on taxi fares haha) and we had a blast!!! it gave me natural confidence, i would be the first and last on the dance floor :) i spent a lot of money on drink before hand, even though i didnt drink a lot really, i also lost 2 stone!! just from stopping the drink.... im lucky in that i have not had a single attack since i stopped.... even tho i have irrereversible damage, i have been told that as long as i abstain from drinnk and also estrogen i will prob never have another attack :) when someone tells you you WILL BE DEAD by 30. you have a simple choice, its a no brainer really!!!! you choose life!!! life is more important that booze! i would never wish to go thru the pain i went thru again.... i think if you have one attack then its likely that until u remove the cause you will habve more, and more... until you end up seroiusly ill like i was..... i am on this forum as funnily enough, as my condition was caused by a malformed duct i have been wondering if i can have just a couple of drinks over xmas, but when i read all the above and think back to how i was its simply not worth it.... if u carry on u will increase the risk of pancreatic cancer, thats how patrick swayze died, and its not a pleasant way to go!! so think before u drink... is it really worth it???

Please, try not to drink at all. Easier said than done, I know, but I was a vodka drinker and I wouldn't listen to the doctors. I now have chronic pancreatitis with regular attacks that last 7-8 days. Pain cannot be described other than excruciating agony. My pancreas is now partly calcified (not a good sign at all). It IS life threatening no matter what people say. If you can stop drinking, please, please do so. It's not worth it..

HI all im 35 going on 36 ive been drinking since i was about 15 mostly beer gave up when i was 17 but took it back up when i was about 20 and was drinking a carton or more every day or every second day.I Would start drinking about 5pm and had a beer hat that held 2 beers with a straw and would do 6 beers through it when i started so i could get pissed quicker.i found out in my mid twentys i had diabetes and stopped drinking as much but than didnt believe i had it and was binge drinking one ta two nights a week at times drinking a thirty pack of beer in one drinking session which was in between 8 to 10 hours on top of my diabetes i have high blood,high cholestrol,anxiety and over weight and sleep apnia.Anyway the last year i have been going to the pub every friday night and drinking anywhere from 20 to 25 beers and maybe a vodka and redbull.Even  though i drank carlton dry which is low carb i used to get up the next morning and have bacon and eggs so adding all this together with drinking energy drinks like no sugar V's,redbull and mothers during the day and pepsi i was a walking time bomb for something else PANCREATITIS and yes it hit me first  i went to hospital with bad pains and they give me some pink lady which stopped the pain a little so i went home than the next day holly sh*t was i in pain so called an ambo and they took me to hospital and admitted me straight away.My blood gases went down and i nearly died it scared tha sh*t out of me and my wife family and friends but luckly i didnt and im hear today to write this i have a 8 year old daughter and a 13 year old boy that i wont to see grow up and it has been a month since ive had a beer and yes it is very hard going through the withdrawls and anxiety attacks which are worse now that i found out the clomazapam im on is no good for me and they have reduced it but the main thing is im still alive and im slowly getting through it day by day and have told my family and friends my drinking days are over and as much as id love a beer i dont think its worth going through and putting everyone else through the pain again.Take care hope this was helpful cheers Anthony Horder.

I have had 2 bouts with pancreatitis one stay hospitalized me for 17 days and the second for 29 days. I have been sober now 3 years with no flares. I strongly recommend for anybody that has pancreatitis to stop drinking completely. The risk aren't worth it which include cancer and diabetes. The doctors told me that I almost died this last time which is a possibility. I hope this awakens and educates anybody thinking about drinking after that diagnosis.

So ive been out of hospital for two weeks after having my first bout of mild acute pancreatitis.After a break-up about a year ago i started making up for lost time with the lads and had about 6months of major drinking at the weekends,the last 6months have been a bit more tame and ive only had a couple of nites out,but a fortnight ago i has a big sesh and woke up at 4 in the morning thinking my stomach was going to explode!! not a good situation! after trying to be sick and trying to use the toilet to try ease the pain no result by ten a.m. i couldnt bear it any longer and went to hospital where i spent two days on a drip,paracetamol,dyhyracodein and something else which i cant remember what it was called.ive also been told by two different doctors that that i shouldnt drink again and that i shouldnt drink for 3-4 months.At 28 the prospect of not being able to have a social drink with friends is killing me inside.but i am going to give myself a fighting chance and not drink for the remainder of this year for def.after that we'll see.i guess im just going to have to have a serious think about what to do when the time comes that i can.I know one thing for sure though-i never want to be in that much pain again.Theres only one way of making sure of that and its not really the answer i want to hear.i suppose i just wanted to let others know that im in the same boat.chin up. x

just wanted to add that i had serious pain for about two days but it took a full week before i was back to normal.
The night of drinking that caused it was a full afternoon of lager and a nite of vodka.-not good times

Anyone who tells you that you can still drink after having pancreatic attacks is severely misinformed! I had my first attack when I was 28 after years of heavy drinking, but no more than my friends or college buddies. My vice was wine. Anyways, I started having severe upper stomach pain and throwing up. I was in bed for a week bc I thought I had some kind of flu. Well this kept happening every couple weeks and I finally went to the doctor and they said it was just my nerves! Finally, I found the right doctor who performed a CT scan and they found cysts and scarring on my pancreas. He told me that I could never drink again. I didn't want to face it until I had 4 more attacks!!! I finally went to a specialist bc I didn't want to die! He laughed when I told him this bc he said if I developed chronic I would be wishing for death! He said that chronic causes diabetes, use of a feeding tube and 10 miserable years hopped up on morphine until you die. He said one more drink could cause this. I was scared by this and finally stopped!!! I have had no more attacks in 2 years and I can eat whatever I want. It sucks watching everyone else drink when you are having water...believe me! It drives me insane, but if you can't do it on your own then go to AA. Do not drink!!!! Think about it...is it really worth giving up your life for??? It sucks so bad that other people can drink and drink and drink and never get pancreatitis, but we are the unlucky ones and it could always be worse. At least we don't have terminal cancer. Anyways, just wanted to share my story.

do not be naive people I have had pancreatitis attacks twice... the bottom line is you are allergic to alcohol if you continue to drink your acute will turn chronic which can lead to pancreatic cancer...change your lifestyle smoke a bone do something however DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL...

yes we all are different and having an attack is not good. you have to look at the whole picture and what Chris is saying is just that.Many confuse CP with AP and I believe ( and Iam not a Dr) that this is case to case. I asked many Dr's and all had different opinions other than drinking could cause an attack? They don't know and the link is not proven, just as diabetes has no cure. So I think drinking heavy can cause more than pancreatis but you have to drink if you can do it, maybe one or 2 on occasion after an attack. Don't drink heavy and be positive. I have been a year without an attack and I have had the odd beer light and no probs. Can eat good even with gerds. So if you are going to try it do as Chris said , don't go out and binge or fall back to heavy drinking as then you may have issues. I also say don't just listen to what im saying you nay have problems that drinking is a do not ever issue and for you better to be safe...I am saying that I have had an attack have had a few beers and okay, but be cautious as to not to fall into a I can go out and get drunk... Keep it safe as Drs will say no as they have to their jobs depend on that and also it is the safest bet.. Good luck to all and I hope I and some of you can still enjoy many years of life with moderate consumption without any more attacks. .Please don't go out and drink just because I am okay ,really look at all the health issues you have but keep positive their is hope, that's my abbreviated story....Be well

My sister just died of acute pancreatitis due to alcohol....symptoms started Friday....dead by Sunday....I would not mess around with alcohol if you already have a history of pancreatitis....very deadly

I had lipase levels of about the same as you, you wrote this about 9 months ago and I would like t know how you are going currently?