Hello everyone,

For the past month, I've been feeling this very weird head pressure behind my head. The odd part is, it only happens to me while I sit down in my room or when I think about it too much and worry about it. When I'm out, or with friends I don't notice the head pressure what so ever. Even when I get up and walk I don't notice the head pressure, It slowly goes away. On May 20 I had a flu with a severe headache that lasted 1day. They did blood test, urine test, and a CT scan. Everything came back okay. Shortly after I started feeling the head pressure with a bit of dizziness, but the dizziness went away. Sometimes when I lay in bed on one side and close my eyes. I get a quick dizzy spell but goes away within the minute. Now I'm really worried. Any ideas? Should I head back to the doctor? Or it's something that will pass? I'm 21 years old.

Thanks!

Hi, I can really relate to what you're going through. About a year ago I started noticing feelings of strong pressure, although they tended to be more in the front of my head than the back. They would appear only when I was sitting down in a chair and doing reading or computer work. The feeling is terrible and seems to drain me of energy. Worst of all, it seems to sap my concentration and focus, really hurting my ability to think clearly. It's been like this ever since last summer. I've tried over a dozen different chairs and now understand that it's some physiological problem in me. It tends to get better when I'm standing up, lie down, take a nap or go to sleep, or find something to really occupy my mind. It seems to get triggered and become more intense whenever I'm in stressful situations, and once the pressure appears, it tends to stay with me for the rest of the day, only disappearing when I go to sleep. Exercise tends to help, particularly cardio where my body is moving, but the pressure returns as soon as I sit down again.

Posture may have head something to do with it since I have spent the past 8 years or so sitting with my spine curved and my head close to the desk, sitting on rock hard wooden chairs. The odd thing is that of all the chairs I can sit in, hard ones seem to help the most, possibly because they provide a direct point of pressure to support my body, whereas softer chairs support my body in a more diffuse way and make me work more to sit up normally, possibly causing the muscle spasms or whatever it is that's happening and causing this pressure.

I've gone to a few general doctors. The first seemed to not believe me or had no desire to help. The second was much more receptive and sent me to a physical therapist because he thought I may have posture problems that could be improved. So far I'm just beginning the therapy, although I doubt it will make the pressure go away. I'm hoping all of this will soon pass away because it makes life very difficult. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Two weeks ago I had a Nissen Fundoplication to correct a hernia and reflux. After two day's I noticed a slight headache when doing any activity. Now two weeks later it's so bad that it wakes me up at night. It is worse when I sit or lay down and better when I sit up straight or stand. It's so bad that two nights ago I went to the emergency room.

First they thought I was dehydrated from not being able to eat or drink enough since the surgery. Eating is hard but I was not dehydrated. Even so two bags of fluid went in me. I kept saying to the doctor, "I can make the headache come on just by leaning back into the pillows or laying down" at this point I was thinking logically despite being awake well over 24 hours. Two bags, and two trips to the restroom later still a pounding headache and no one really paying attention to my back.

Second they did a CT of the brain and chest looking for blood clots. All clear. This was a good call as I really wanted to make sure I was not suffering from a blood clot or internal bleeding related to the surgery. Stumped the doc.

Blood pressure normal when standing and sitting. No headache. Lean back or lay down. Pressure from the back of the head to the left temple then the left eye feels like it's popping. I flush red except around my eyes which turn white. Head scratcher. ER doc said go home and take the Hydrocodone I was prescribed for pain. Basically drug myself to sleep. I had a real problem with this but I was so desperate that for two days I did it and managed a few hours sleep at a time before the pain wake me up. I'm not a big fan of drugging pain as it usually means something is wrong.

Now two day's after ER and I'm through drugging myself to sleep. Beside the hydrocodone make me nauseas and I don't want to throw up after having Hernia and GERD surgery.

The surgeon put me on Toradol 10mg (powerful anti inflammatory) 3X a day for 3 days. It helps for about 30 minutes then pain is back. I've noticed at the ER that Tylenol 500mg helps for about 45 minutes. ER said to take the Toradol, Tylenol and Hydrocodone each day. Called a pharmacist to confirm no interactions and he confirmed. So now it's just the Toradol and Tylenol and squeezing a little sleep in. Very frustrating because I need sleep to recover.

Going to see my GP on Monday but if you have any ideas it would be appreciated. Based on the ER and online it would appear that all my symptoms are backwards (it figures. Nothing is ever easy with me) from what's expected. I'm also wondering if this is related to Vegas nerve damage. Oh and my surgeon who I really like and trust does not think it's related to the surgery. Uh huh.

! I know this is a few months old now and I hope you are all ok but i would suggest talking to you doc about pusdo-tumour cebri (also known as idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH) . It affects predominantly obese women of childbearing age. The primary problem is chronically elevated intracranial pressure (ICP) The spinal fluid is meant to be 10cm or under (of pressure)
Symptoms of elevated intracranial pressure (ICP)

* Headache that is nonspecific and varies in type, location, and frequency
* Pulsatile tinnitus - A rhythmic sound, heard in one or both ears, with pulsing synchronous rhythm that may be exacerbated by the supine or bending position
* Horizontal diplopia - A symptom of a false-localizing sixth cranial nerve palsy
* Radicular pain (usually in the arms) - An uncommon symptom...

From what you said about you eye feeling like its "popping" it sounds likely
Good luck and I hope this helps (I have P.T.C and am now being told I'm most likely going to have to have nuro surgery to have a shunt put in my brain cause my CSF pressure is currently 31cm at my last spinal tap )
good luck
P.S Yes I did cut and paste some of this but I wouldn't want to give the wrong info and worry anyone :-)

i have the same problem.when i am sitting down, it puts pressure on my head.especially if i wear a tight pants or belt around.i have to loosen it up.Same with me, when i am walking or jogging ,busy or chatting with my friends, i do not feel it..most of the time, i wish it would just go away coz its hard to focus on what you are doing.it hinders me to be productive so I am afraid to find a job.

It may be psychological or not because you mention that whenever you with friends you didn't feel it or it may be time dependent or when lie on bed and pressure been apply on your head, this may be a cause. You should concern with doctor because it is completely concern with and it is too serious like a tumor. 

Have you tried cranio sacral therapy, or chiropractic adjustments? I have the same thing when leaning back or lying on my back and that is one of the few things that helps.

Hi, I too have been experiencing pressure on the right back side of my head when i sit down. I had MRI's and CT scans to rule out anything life threatening and it seems to be caused by a slipped disc in my neck at C4. I'm having many other symptoms of back pain and entrapped nerves in my back but it all started with that feeling of pressure in my head only when sitting down. I have been stretching every morning before beginning my day and that feeling is almost totally gone. Try some Pilates stretches for the neck and shoulders that has really helped me. I also purchased and inversion table which is helping with all of my back pain. Hope this helps.

This sounds exactly like my problem. Bilateral occipital head pressure, clean imaging and tests. Can't stand bucket seats and only like hard stools where I can lean over my work. Can't find any comfortable way to work on computers. Exercise lessens feeling, though sometime lifting will make it worse. Had it for 8 years. Not dealing very well. If you read this or my friend request, please get in touch.

were you ever able to correct your condition? I have suffered from the exact same condition for the past five years. i have seen several physicians, and they attribute it to stress.

when i sit down, i feel pressure at the front of my head. the pressure affects my ability to concentrate, and i also get tired. i can best describe the feeling i experience after the head pressure sets in as a brain fog, which also lasts for the entire day. i have also found that cardio. exercise helps. please get pack to me if you read this post.

I have just been fully tested... neck, brain CT Scan... an MRI.. eye exam ... and have been told it is stress.  I don't feel I am under stress.  Well, if so, it is the stress of not knowing why i feel the head pressure, when sitting.  So, I guess I must now be treated for anxiety.

Hi all! I have never posted anything out here before, but I am desperate. I had a baby 10 months ago and I have never been the same since. I'be been to every doctor you can imagine.  My symptoms are similar to everyone here. When ever I sit or lean back I have pressure and pain in my head, pain in my neck, and my throat burns.  If I stay moving I do not experience it at all.  It also happens if I cross my arms and lay them across my abdomen.  It is the most bizarre thing I have ever experienced and has caused lost of anxiety.  Has anyone gotten any aswers to this?  I had a myelogram last week in which they did find three places where CSF fluic was leaking.  That did relieve some of the pressure in my head, but now I still have the pain and numbness/tingling on my nose. I have had MRI of brain and cervical spine, abdominal ultrasound, and lots of blood work. the only thing that is found is Thyroiditis.  IF anyone has had any luck with these symptoms please let me know. I will post as I find any new things that may help you all as as well!! Good luck to everyone

Can you please describe your headache symptoms a little more from when you still had an non-diagnosed leak. For instance, where was the pressure feeling in your head, did sitting in a car bring it on or only certain chairs, were you ok exercising, etc?

thanks

I have been having head pressure when sitting or wear tight pants. Dr s think I am crazy. There is siginifcant pressure behind my nose and eyes feel like bulging out. I also have a nauseas dull pain in my thoracic area of the back. 2000k later pelvic scan showed nothing. Dr wants me to go to neurologist.....

I have been having head pressure for many many years, when sitting or now when leaning forward.  Have been diagnosed with so many useless labels.  Have seen 2 Neuro's and had 5 MRI's all said nothing was happening.  I have since paid for my own MRI and told them to look for a Chiari and compression and Yep they found it.  I also have a Retroverted Odontoid Process which is causing compression from the front.  When I sit it is like someone is cutting off circulation to my brain (as though I am hanging upside down).  It is likely that I have a spinal cord tethering?? lower down that may be causing/contributing to it all, but it just goes to show that just because they say all is normal, if you know something is amiss, keep looking.  I got my old MRI's out and the issues were there all along, no one bothered to look as they were looking for other issues, like tumours/strokes etc..  Just another idea for anyone to look into.