Hi everyone. I hope you can help me out with this one. I have some extra pounds. And by ‘’some’’ I mean 40. My doctor suggested some diet program, nothing special, just eating healthy food, a long list of what to avoid. I am gonna start with that every day now. He also suggested long walks, exercising outside, running. There is no way I could be that active every day, I have a daughter to take care of and a job. So I’m thinking workout dvd’s. A friend of mine offered to lend me wii fit. I’ve never used it. Do you know are there any important differences between wii fit and traditional workout dvd's?

Hi Aristotle40

I have wii fit. I love it. My mother bought it for me. She knows how much I enjoy playing games, so she thought that it may be a good idea to buy me something that will force me to move my body and to be active. When a colleague mentioned her wii fit,  she knew she had to buy it.

It’s been a year since that and I still love it.

As for your question, it is pretty much the same.  My mum always had tons of fitness dvd’s . I sometimes use them and maybe they require a bit more energy. But besides that, no mayor differences.

Well, with workout dvd’s you are actually doing exercises.

Don’t get offended, I’m sure your friend had good intentions.

In my opinion wii fit keeps you standing in one place, barely moving. You will achieve to lose more calories than by playing some regular games, of course. But the same number of calories you will lose by washing your car or by doing some regular house choirs. These house choirs, just like wii fit games, keep you active. But let’s not confuse ‘’being active’’ with ‘’exercise’’.

If you ask me, go with traditional dvd workouts. Or even better, listen to your doctor and find time to practise outside.