Hi everyone. :) I have a female dog. I adopted it about three months ago. My dogs love her and they get along very well. The other day, I came home from work and I noticed some blood spots on my carpet. Now, I’ve never had a female dog before so I needed time to figure our where did the blood on my carpet came from, but now when I have, I need to ask you a question. What do you think, is it ok if I spay my dog while she is in heat? Is that even safe for her?

Well, if I were you, I would definitely wait a month or two.   

You could do that, I know a lot of veterinary clinics that will accept to spay your dog while she’s in heat, but even they won’t recommend it. 

The main reason is that there is an increased blood supply to the reproductive organs while a dog is in heat. And those organs are being removed during the spay procedure.  

That’s why every (normal) vet should avoid doing it at that point. 

The best would be to wait until the dog has been out of heat for three months.

Hello. There is no need to be quick in the decision. Like rubylock told you, you should wait for a while. I have a male dog, and I don’t know that much about female dogs, but I think that I can help you. Well, during a heat cycle, the blood vessels that supply the ovaries are engorged. These tissues,  can be more, let’s say, friable, more than normal, and they can bleed more. The most important thing is to consult your vet about this issue, but I do believe that he will tell you similar things and tips, like we did. 

If you spay a dog while she’s in heat she may still attract male dogs for several days after it. And if a male dog successfully ties with this female, the female can suffer some bad consequences because of the  trauma of the surgery site.  Keep that in mind. 

So my answer would be definitely not. You need to wait until the dog is out of heat for three months. That’s when you can do this procedure.

And you know what else, if you spay a dog while in heat, that may produce false pregnancy. And you don’t want that to happen.

Hey there everyone.Well, I am not so sure about this, but I know that there are so many benefits if you do that.

For example :

• Spaying totally reduces risk of certain illness, such as mammary gland cancer.
  • Spaying also can reduces pet overpopulations. We all do know that millions of dogs are put down every year because they can’t find a home, someone just can’ adopt them.
  • This also can save your dog from dealing with males who are attracted to your dog,
  • It also eliminates unattractive smell.

Spaying is definitely a good idea, and I don’t know, I would consult my vet, but I would do this :)

Hey everyone. I don’t know that much about this topic, but I know that many vets are really reluctant to spay dogs, while they are in heat. Well, now, it depends. Now, due to the increased blood flow, spaying your dear pet, your lovely dog, that is in heat, does carry some risks, compared with spaying a dog that is not. But, beside, this is really safe procedure, so when I think about this, I think that this is good idea.

Spaying a dog in heat requires about half an hour.

Of course, because your dog is in heat, you can expect some changes to happen.

Hey everyone, I don’t have a female dog, but here’s what I can tell you on this subject.

My opinion on this summed up - don’t spay you dog if she is in heat! It can cause some problems like bleeding and other complications. Not necessarily, but it could happen so why wouldn’t you just wait? You will just need to take good care of your dog for the time being in heat because you don’t want her to breed, so don’t let her be close to any male dogs. Even if that means keeping her indoor for some time. Even that would be better than spaying her while in heat.