I experienced this for the first time recently.  It is likely due to an increase in lactic acid which is sometimes a side-effect of drinking (especially liquor).  High amounts of Lactic Acid will cause your muscles to tense up and make you feel sore.  the alcohol ALSO will interefere with production of amino acids and electrolytes making it take longer for your muscle soreness to dissipate, which is just another great reason to drink LOTS of water (and gatorade might be a good idea too).  

Sorry but it don't have anything to do with drinking water. I drink water all day long, at least 8 bottles a day and I too have the same problem. I am a 40 year old female and drink pretty much every day unfortunally but when I have a beer or two i'm fine but when I have too many or too many liquor drinks I feel like someone has beat me. It's funny because I drank a little too much last night and today I hurt badly so I decided to look it up and that's when I came across this page. I am glad to know i'm not by myself with this problem because my friends think I am crazy when I tell them about the way if effects me.

Hi there, it is not the water, but your incapacity to retain the water. you need to start hydrating properly adding minerals, stop drinking for a while, a few months. make your kidneys work again. After that any time you drink you will have minerals in the water and you will not hurt. I also was skeptical in the beginning and I have exactly what you have, but I decided to give it a try. But I stopped drinking for 8 months, started taking additional minerals. that is the trick. I am fine now.

Well water is considered as a best hangover cure but it's also a fact that you cannot drink plenty of water at once. Hangovercaps is a remedy against hangovers. There are many supposed cures for hangovers. The intensity of a hangover depends on the condition of the liver, which is partially determined by heredity and also lifestyle. By taking Hangovercaps before consuming alcohol, your liver will receive optimal support and you will not have a hangover the next morning.

Drinking causes a lack of coordination and makes your muscles work harder, causing them to be sore the next day. I get this sometimes when I drink.

I have no clue to what is wrong with you? but, I am dealing with the exact same issue. But, I am a 42 y/o female... i drink beer regularly. But, when I drink anything else with alcohol in it... I am in excruciating pain.... like having the Flu... and am very sensitive to the touch. my skin and muscles feel like they are bruised. I have to sit down and cannot move due to the extreme pain. I get migraines and have been tortured, I mean TESTED for many things... but, doing research today.. I have found that Hodgkin's is one of the few diseases that i can locate online that testifies to drinking alcohol and having pain? go figure.? I did a google search today and found your quest for an answer... please assist me in my quest and let me know if you find anything? Thank you soooo very much. Melissa

I have researched these same symptoms - sore to touch after drinking alcohol - about 10 -12 hours after I have drank.  Soreness will start in my neck/chest area and will spread down my torso/arms throughout the day and it can take another day or two to go away. There is no definitive answer out there but I personally have found a way to manage these symptoms.  Take two Benadryl (not one and not generic) BEFORE you drink any alcohol.  If you are worried about the side effects I would take the Benadryl around lunch time (assuming you know when you are going out). This method works for me 100% of the time.  If you only take one benadryl, a generic or alternative antihistamine - I have found that it still helps the soreness - but not very much.  I am under the impression the soreness is from the surge in histamine in my body - which makes me think I have an alcohol intolerance.  I hope this helps people be able to go out and have a good time without the horrible side effects.  Let me know if this helps anyone! - SJ

I have experienced this bruised/achy body issue for years after a big night. Always kicks in after the main hangover goes away, and lasts about 2 days. I have been a heavy drinker for about 15years, and at a young age I was diagnosed with RSI. I regularly have bulging discs in my lower back, and a lot of back issues. I am wondering now about this muscular dystrophy stuff, is pretty scary, and may be the underlying reason for all my physical issues. Does anyone know a good health care option where you can have all this stuff thoroughly tested? I would like to be tested for everything that heavy drinking can cause, to know where I'm at and if I am in danger. Thanks

Has anyone found an answer to this yet? I get this most violently when I drink white wine. Exactly as described here - 24 hours after drinking it starts in the upper arms and spreads down the the torso and upper legs. It stays for around a day and is very painful. I have had liver function, renal profile, thyroid and full blood count tests - all came back normal - but I am scared to drink and get anxious about it a LOT at the moment!

If anyone has an answer from a doctor- could they please post it to put all our minds at rest?! Is this an allergy/dehydration or intolerance? I thought it might be something to do with an allergic reaction which brings on water retention.

If anyone knows...please post!

Muscle soreness after drinking alcohol is almost directly related to dehydration and the metabolism of the alcohol. I will explain. Alcohol dehydrates you severely if you do not compensate for each drink with a glass of water. Yes, one glass per drink will keep you hydrated. If you drink little to no water, however, you become dehydrated. In turn, your muscles become drained of essential fluids which keep them healthy. Also, alcohol metabolism causes a big buildup of lactic acid, which prevents your muscles from healing and causes soreness. In conclusion, your muscles may ache not only because of a lack of bodily fluids, but also because alcohol (and what it metabolizes into) is harmful to the body, the muscles being one of the main targets of this process. Hope this helps. All information was acquired thru research and is sufficiently accurate.

It's more in the skin than the muscles - it's very superficial and happens in areas where muscles are not prevalent ie the backs of the upper arms and in the sides near my ribs. It doesn't hurt all the time but only when touched or pressed. Also there is a delay of 24 hours. This isn't muscle aches. Any other thoughts?

I think you are on to something. I take an allegra and make sure to drink planty of water before drinking and it seems to micro-manage the soreness. If I do not balance the water then I can be sore for up to a few days. I do wish i understood what is going wrong in the metabolizing phase but my Dr. just tells me I am allergic. If it is simply deydration then why does this not happen to a larger number of drinkers? I have a hard time believing the average drinker balances their alcohol/water ratio. Thanks again!

I saw a doctor about this - it's an allergy to something in certain alcohols. Nothing much to worry about just don't drink as much and don't drink stuff that you know aggravates it. I cut out white wine and am totally fine. Don't worry and be healthy!

When does it go away? Per occurence

You need to be checked thoroughly for Hodgkin's lymphoma