I am not asian in any way so the answer given by the dr does not apply to me but still leaves me curious.  I drank a bit last night and when I woke up in the morning my whole forehead feels like I would be covered in a bruise. I have never had this problem before and I have drank much much more in the past. 

I have the same problem. It only comes when I drink a lot of alcohol and I've found a correlation between white wine and this reaction. It starts around the evening of the day after I have drunk and lasts about 24 hours. My whole torse, particularly neck, collar bone and around the sides of my stomach hurt as if I've been kicked repeatedly. alcohol atrophy makes sense, when we drink in general the alcohol causes an imbalance in our body's chemicals which makes muscles ache, even if you don't have this horrible invisible bruise syndrome. i guess the smartest reaction to this will be not to drink. I felt so horrible when i woke up this morning that I'm going to give it a good old shot. How awful would it be if any of us pushed it to a point where this isn't just a temporary situation but we feel like this ALL the time. SO not worth it, just for cheap thrills.

I'm at the point where it's no longer temporary and have it all the time. It started when I was 19 only the evening after alcohol. It gradually stayed longer and longer each time. Then I started noticing it when I hadn't had enough sleep. I'd say I'd had it there all the time since I was 23 and I'm now 25. My doc thought I had fibromyalgia so sent me to a rheumatologist. He said my pain was cos I'm hypermobile, but couldn't explain the role of alcohol in it all. I'm starting to think that for me I have developed fibromyalgia as I was susceptible to it (hypermobile) and spent a lot of years not looking after myself properly and burning the candle at both ends. For me, my fibromyalgia is aggravated by a lack of sleep, sugary foods (inc alcohol) and possibly yeast (in alcohol). If you have these symptoms please see your doctor. It may be something like the beginning of fibro, it may be an alergy, or it could be something else entirely - which we'd all benefit from knowing! I sometimes wonder if this is something bigger and we should be highlighting this thread to the department of health or something. It may be to do with something brewers have beginning adding to their product that we're all reacting to.

Quote:

SJ wrote:

Do you have it when you do get enough sleep? It sounds like this is something dangerous, like we need to take serious heed of the situation and try and change our life styles accordingly. I'm a journalist and I intend to look deeper into the root of the issue. Do you still drink?

SJ wrote:

Quote:

SJ wrote:

Yeah it's still there even after a good night sleep but it's milder. it always gradually gets worse as the day goes on and sleep sort of resets it to a lower level. I still drink but not much and not very often. Alcohol prevents slow wave sleep and studies have show that interrupting sws in healthy people can bring on muscle tenderness. I imagine that a lot of people on here may recognise that they are very susceptible to the sleep disrupting effects of alcohol. I hope you do manage to dig deeper into the issue.

So is it linked to lack of sleep more than with alcohol? do you have no idea at all as to what causes this condition? How are you treating it? I'm really sorry to hear that it is a constant presence, that must be incredibly challenging

It is challenging but I feel that over the years I have got used to it somewhat. From what I understand, I have fibromyalgia, which started out as what is described throughout this thread. I do not take medication for this because it is mild and there is no cure. I have been seeing a Physio which has helped. I've read a lot about it over the years and I have come to understand fibromyalgia as a stress signal from the body. If I look after myself it is there in the background but managable. If i stay out late or drink or eat badly for a few days or am stressed it never fails to flare up. I'm sure some people on this thread may have fibromyalgia, others may just be experiencing a mild warning from their body. The reason I have this is because I spent a good few years not listening to my body and genetically I am susceptible. What i mean by this is fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and irritable bowel are thought to be similar, and my mum has IBS and her twin has chronic fatigue. You are also more likely to get fibro if you are hypermobile, which is again a genetic condition. Sorry to waffle on. I have had a lot of time to think about all this over the years and I am also a neuroscientist so I find it all fascinating!

I don't understand why there isn't a more thorough answer to this problem, that we all seem to be experiencing, myself included (33 yr old M) I have experienced all the symptoms most of you are explaining. It's definately related to drinking, the higher the amount, the more severe the symptoms are. Post after post after post, read the same, but few hypotheses, and NO ANSWERS!! What gives? And the fibromyalgia, did it start when you experienced those symptoms after drinking heavily, or are you just stating that, that's how it felt at first? SOMEONE has to have a better explanation of why this happens, and what can make it better, BESIDES to stop drinking altogether. Someone, PLEEEEEZZZE help us!

I am 25 and always got these horrible hangovers along with horrible sholder pain the next day.I  I recently got gout too from drinking.pretty messed up a 25 yr female getting something that usually affects old man.apparently i drank so much bacardi my kidneys couldnt filter the toxins so they crystalized in my blood causing gout in my big f=ing toe.I also get red rashes on my face and chest when i drink its so freaking embarasing.I am white not asian and drink like 3 nights a week.so not fair!sometimes my hangovers last over 24hrs what gives? am I allergic to alcolol or do i have cancer or what??

Much like other people, I have similar symptoms where touching these areas is very sensitive (it is not painful when not being touched, for the most part):

-Pain especially in sides and stomach (most prominent)
-Pain in back of neck
-Pain in chest
-Pain in sides of arms

I think in order to describe this pain, it is important to note that it feels similar to muscle pain, but certainly different than muscle pain (this is important when describing to your doctor if you have gone, in my opinion).

The pain is very, very superficial, as if the there's buildup of something just beneath the skin. It does not feel like a deep sore that one gets after working out.

I do not need to drink much for this to occur -- 1 to 3 beers will do it (usually about 30-48 hours after consuming alcohol, almost on the dot).

Shooting off the hip, what do people think of lactic acid buildup? 

I know with absolute certainty it's due to alcohol consumption, as others have mentioned.

With all due respect, we all seem pretty damn ridiculous. We are complaining about physical problems caused COMPLETELY because we have been poisoning our bodies. It's not unfair, it's the body's way of saying 'stop doing this now before it's too late.' If you have gout at 25, that is sad but it is you that drank the bacardi and you that has to deal with the repercussions. Since I started having these issues, the pain all over the body as we discussed earlier, I have basically stopped drinking. A glass of red wine every now and again but not over doing it. This has then prompted me to start running every morning, eat healthily and generally be kind to the only body I will ever have. I have never felt or looked better. Maybe you should try the simplest solution: Stop drinking so much.

im 21 since the start of the new year i have been suffering from lower back and hip and rib pains from drinking and stomach pain and cramps. i only drink on special occasion this has been happening for 2 months now i take tylenol for pain and still pain only goes and comes even my blood pressure is normal and i still exercise to stop the back pain is this the cause of kidney disease but still at my age im still health but whats the problem

do u have this pain all the time?

Hi i am 22yo F and I hav had this since I started drinking and it does seem to be getting worse as I get older but I have learnt that if I drink I am going to have a reaction and so will rarely drink. Unlike most of the posts I hav read I get a reaction on my skin almost immidatly after I hav an alocholoc beverage it doesnt hurt or itch it the feels hot, it starts of blotchy red marks on my neck and chest and gradually gets bigger untill all my neck and chest and even goes down my arms sometimes are all bright red. Some drinks are worse then others such as wine beer and liquor, I find that pure spirits such as vodka that have no preservatives in and no added sugar don't affect me as much but I will still have a reaction. I have worked in bars for nearly 5 years and have come across a couple of ppl with the same thing some worse then others. A big night for me will be no more then 5 vodka fresh lime and water over as many hours. I drink this coz it has the least sugar and preservatives this seems to cause the least severe pain the next day. I will NEVER hav any energy drink with alcohol as this makes everything 50x worse! The next day I will feel tender all over and no I haven't been dancing or partying to hard I feel like this even if I've had one drink over dinner. The more I have to drink the worse it will feel and the longer it will last. I get a very rappid pulse pretty much as soon as I start drinking and it will last for the whole next day. Usually after 36 hours all the tenderness and rapid pulse has gone. I dont know what it is that causes this but after speaking to doctors and testing out different drinks and hearing other theories I'm going to guess that me and most others on here are simply jst allergic to alcohol. Allergies can start later in life, even disappear after time or come and go. I think my body has trouble metablising alcohol and I also have a sensitively to some preservatives. Try and look for wines without presevitive 220, Coopers makes beer that is preservative free and most Irish beer such as guiness and killkeny are also preservative free. Like me drinking these might make ur symptoms less severe. By far he best thing to do is not drink at all I will drink about once a month and hav a big night ( 5 drinks in one night ) 2 times a year I jst feel to horrible to do it to myself more then that. I've learnt to go out and hav a good night with out having to drink to fit in. Also it u ask for half shots u feel lime u can hav the same amount of drinks as u friends without having as much alcohol if peer pressure is an issues with us younger ones on here.  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***

That feeling you get after a night of drinking is from the metabalism of the alcohol. Alcohol turns into a chemical once metabolised and that causes pain throughout the body until it has all been flushed out of your system. Drink lots of fluids(not alcohol) and give it a day is the only way to get over it.