I have this problem too, except it just flares up every once in awhile. The last time I had it was about two years ago. Now I have it again.  The muscle pain starts pretty much immediately though, especially in my throat, chest, thighs, arms (not really around my collarbone though.) Normally, I can drink alcohol all the time and I'm fine. I wonder if it will go away again this time? I also go through phases where drinking alcohol makes me wheeze, but again these phases are temporary. Does anyone else have that?

I experence this same extreme pain after a night of drinking. I found this article helpful. http://healthinrecovery.blogspot.com/2010/08/alcoholic-myopathy.html

hi, I'm a female 41 years old and I have the same condition. 12 hours almost on the dot after I finish my last drinking I start having the bruised eeling. with me it starts from the neck and irradiates towards my arms, stomach and legs. some "attacks" last up to 19 hours. like all of you I cannot touch my skin, have a very strong sense of confusion in my head.

It is definitely linked to alcohool. it happened the first time in 2005 and got worse and worse ever since. It is not towards all alcohol but only certainalocohol and certain brands even, for xample I can drink aboslut vodka n problem, but cannot touch grey goose. can drink gordon's gin but not bombay sapphire. the list goes on, with white wines from europe  (Italy and France)  being OK, but not south american and australian wines. Beer from the can is Ok, but not all draught. the list is endless. So it is somethin IN the alcohol.

A weird thing is that in the past when I was a moker I got it from very low intake of alcohol. then I stopped smoking and it dsappeared COMPLETELY. after a year stupidly I started smking again and it came back, I stopped smoking and it stopped only to reappear, even not smoking, after a few months. weird.

It has gotten worse in the last year, and I know the time when I won't be able to drink ANy alcohol is near.

I am very happy to have finally found somebosy like me, as in the years I have felt like a fool and mad.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I would be extremely happy to know what is happening to you, how is your disease path, if you know more than me. I cannot say I have not been scared in the past.

so hopefully speak soon!

Also I rule out Alcoholic Myopathy and Hogkin's. I am not so sure about kidneys though as I have to drink a lot of water to stay hydrated and as soon as I stop I get immediately dehydrated. During the reaction to alcohol I get very bloated, like in severe water retention.

does anybody else  have this?

I don't smoke unless i drink and then i smoke quite a lot...how many fo you smoke? This may also be a contributer.

ive been trying to find others who get this for a long time. im M 25 and have always been a drinker. It probably only started 2-3 years ago,at first it was only if i drank way to much. but now its if i just have a few, i will still get all the pains just not as bad. my doctor said it was linked to my stomach acid problems, but my dad had the same acid trouble and had never had what i get. nobody in my circle of friends has experienced this either.i think im far from quitting drinking as its too much apart of my social life that i would give in to peer pressure anyway. i just basically put up with it but wish there was a real diagnoses or something that would ease it. it used to only happen with lager, it stopped for a while when i changed choice of drink, but now its any alcohol although i do tend to mix drinks.i last drank 2 days ago,and still feel a bit tender today.

Does anyone else have  a fast, if not very fast metabolism?  I do.

I have noticed drinking slower does not produce the soreness symptoms as much.

Any thoughts?

Hi this is happening to me aswell and everytime a have a drink, I wake up say 2 -3 oclock in the morning with these pains it gets really bad

I wish someone could explain
I was told that its like inflamation in our muscles they say somthing in the alchol causes this. At first They told me its energy drinks like red bull red square everything with energy in it

I then stoped drinking it, and changed my drinks but it still happens

Hey guys, I have been reading through this thread on and off since I began experiencing these symptoms about a couple years ago and I hope I can shed some light on this frustrating reaction. I am 23 and will experience tenderness and soreness mostly from the waist up especially in the neck, abdominal and shoulder region after only 1 or 2 drinks. After reading this thread I saw many replies on keeping hydrated so I made a point to drink tons of water before I knew I was going out to drink and all throughout the next day. I noticed that this did alleviate or at least delay some of the soreness but the pain and discomfort was still inevitable. However, I have recently been taking a daily dose of B vitamins. After a night of drinking (6-7 beers), I got home and was not looking forward to being in horrible pain for the next couple of days especially since I forgot to drink enough water, and even had a cup of coffee! I looked over at my bottle of Vitamin B and said what the heck and took a pill. The next morning I woke up and began waiting for the soreness to kick in... I waited and waited. I was actually getting worried because I felt fine! I am amazed to say that 2 days later I was pain free and did not feel the slightest of pain whatsoever! The first time ever! Now I know B vitamins play a role in fighting muscle inflammation and soreness but I would like to know if anyone has had experience or is willing to try taking them, as I did, to see if the same benefits arise.   ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***

Though I am not sure if it helped because I have been taking them daily for two weeks or because I took them after drinking... Or both..but I will experiment a little to get some more details. Hope this sheds some light and a little hope on this unpleasant condition!

It looks like these questions have been asked sometime ago but just in case someone still checks for an answer, I thought I would run a thought by you guys.

Have you guys heard of Hodgkin disease? Take a look st the some of the symptoms and see if it applies to you. One of the symptoms is sensitivity to alcohol!

I hope this help although I would; hate to be the barrier of bad news if this is the case for some of you guys.

i have had this sensation to alcohol also...after drinking a couple drinks with in 24 hrs i have and entire body pain like bruising from my neck down... it is horrible, seems to happen when drinking liquors ( mixed drinks) i know i likely have an allergic reaction to it, but would still like to understand this..it's like your cells are messed up, nerve cells , blood cells, something..please help those of us that would like to understand why we feel this way.

You might be allergic to sulfates that are in the wine.

bluedog wrote:

Guest wrote:

It is nice to hear that I am not the only one. About 3 years ago, I have noticed the bruising sensation after drinking any amount of alcohol and I have yet to find the answer. My sensation is throughout my torso and upper arms and lasts for about 1 and a half days after drinking any alcoholic beverage. I am not really worried but curious. I have talked to both my family doctor and my neurologist and neither have heard of such symptoms. My friends seem to think it must be some strange allergic reaction. I would love any detailed information of what is actually happening... Thanks :)

It sounds very much to me like you do have an allergy and I think what you'd be best off going to an allergist. I don't think either your doctor ory our neurologist would be familiar with something like that. Have you considered doing that?

i also get a bruise on my right hand and its big and purple faded the next day after drinking alcohol. im 26 years old and i can actually take the soreness of the body since im use to it, but the bruising on the hand makes me feel suoer sad and wonder why does this happen to me only on my right hand i get a bruise above... i dont know what this is...? help!!!

i to experience this aweful sensation after drinking. I am not a large alcohol consumer but when I have a couple drinks I usually will have body pain from head to toe as though I am bruuised. Took a long time to realize it was happening after I drank alcohol. Twice I have had blood taken for what seemed to be hypoglycemia to find out I have Macrocytosis ( enlarged red blood cells) so I am wondering if the enlarged red blood cells could be the source of pain. Also was told by my Dr that Macrocytosis for me is a result of drinking. Even thoug I do not drink much. After reading allergic reactions to alcohol I have suffered from nasal congestion which is an alcohol reaction. I have always felt I had an intolerance to alcohol but now I beleive I really do and perhaps those out there experiencing this sensation after drinking do also. There are other reasons for Macrocytosis but My Dr feels its related to alcohol. Also may not necessarily be he alcohol but the sulphites and other things in the alcohol that we are intolerent to. Hope this has helped give some insight into the weird issue. by the way if anyone replys to my post my e-mail is an L (lower case)before the 3 not a 1

Quit drinking might work?