Ok, so I smoke yes, and please don't give me any bull**** like "don't smoke it's bad for you" it's my life and ill do as easel ease, I just want to know if when I have a cigarette (as I have tonsillitis) will it hurt? Or make it come back worse? Etc.etc...

your a fag. those have no nicotine

Yes I am a living witness smoking is bad for tonsillitis. It make the tonsils more infected and closes the airways to breathing

I've had a bad case of tonsillitis for a few days now, not fun. I'm a smoker too, I had a ciggarette or 2 on day 2 and it was not fun. Hurt like a b***h. Don't ask questions on a health website if you can't handle simple answers like don't smoke. It's common sense. I wish I never started. Idiots

im being honest i have tonssilitis and i am smoking..obviously its not tht gd an idea but it hasnt made it any worse for me i dnt thnk anythn you do can actually worsen it or make it better..you just MUST take your antibiotics and of course dont smoke the usual amount just smoke one when you really have to..

Guys - stop being kiddish..i am a smoker and i have tonsil issues all throughtout my life. Whenever tonsils used to swel i used to stop smoking for most of the day for for 1-2 days and then continue..this had worked well for me all these years.

Now its been over 2 weeks and there is no sign of the fever coming to normal and tonsils have been aching and rotten all this while....the worst thing would be to smoke. Even without smoking swollen tonsils accompanied with fever even with antibiotics and fever medicines for pver two weeks aint a joke. So stay away from the cigarretes till u r fully fit only.

I'm having a ciggy at the moment feels the same to me but seriously I should have said no to a ciggy my swaollen tonsils could have have been a sign

Im a smoker and I know exactly how you feel. Problems is this is now my 3rd round of tonsillittis in a row. My dr said that smoking does irritate and can provoke a reoccorance. Im at pains to say it but yeah its best to just leave it till you are a few days clear of the infection. In the mean time use patches to take the edge off the cravings. Take care :-)

I have tonsillitis and it is obviously a bad move to smoke, however; I am smoking but much less than normal and immediately gargling warm salty water after smoking. I'm sure smoking is bad for tonsillitis, that's just obvious. I do feel the salt water is helping somewhat though following it. I'm also drinking warm water with honey regularly and that's nice. Maybe if I wasn't dosed up on codeine I'd notice the ill effects of smoking more. So yeh, it's not good, and you shouldn't do it. If you really must, gargle salt water straight after. I'm also brushing my teeth, tongue and roof of my mouth regularly to lessen any bacteria in my mouth.

The only thing worse than a anti-smoking advocate who has never smoked is one who has... please go and submerge your head in a bucket of ice.

Just come out of the doctors after being told I have tonsillitis, I'm having a ciggarette now. Normal one will make it much worse but menthol seems to help me, although smoking will irritate your throat no matter what, menthol soothes your throat, do what you wanna do:L

If you have tonsillitis, take it easy. Get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids. You can take acetaminophen or ibuprofen to relieve any pain or discomfort. (Don't take aspirin or other products that contain aspirin, though, because these may put you at risk of developing Reye syndrome, an illness that can have serious complications.)

Call your doctor right away if your condition gets worse; for example, if you have difficulty breathing or swallowing. Also talk to your doctor if your fever comes back or if you're not feeling better in a couple of days.

Avoid smoking or anything that will irritate your throat. It's best to drink lots of liquids. You may prefer softer foods, like applesauce, flavored gelatin, or ice cream. If you don't feel like eating, try drinking liquids that contain calories, such as fruit juices, milkshakes, and soups and broths.

Hey Shaine, I face the very same issue. However, you absolutely should not smoke while your tonsils are infected because the smoke only causes dryness of the throat resulting in more irritation and subsequently it can undo the positive effects of the medication or possibly even worsen the negative effects of the infection. I quit smoking the day before yesterday owing to developing tonsillitis. It it should be stated, that ever since I resumed smoking 3 months ago after over a year and a half off smokes, I began having irritation in the throat, an irritating sensation in the ears which only got worse with time and ultimately was revealed to be because of my infected left tonsil. I share your passion for smokes, but when the time comes to choose, we have no choice but to do so. The person who first said 'Life's unfair' couldn't have got it more right!

Hey S, I love smokes too, so I'll spare you the lecture. A day prior to finding out I had tonsillitis, I couldn't resist the urge of indulging in a ciggy. Initially it felt nice, relaxing, it even felt like it had this very subtle soothing effect on the infected tonsil. But that was only a temporary ruse, the next day, it only got worse and I had to visit a doctor to get it treated. So yes, it will get worse! As for whether it will return due to smoking after full recovery, I would think so, but I don't have personal experience to back that up, just the fact that I started having symptoms of tonsillitis only after resuming smokes 3 months ago after a year and a half smoke free.

It doesn't do anything, I have tonsillitis now and I'm still smoking all I do is cough up the white stuff on my tonsils but it doesn't do anything, I've had to take paracetamol and everything and it's getting better! All you need to take it paracetamol and gargle warm salt water and you will be fine but you can still smoke while having tonsillitis