I had the mesh surgery about 7 weeks ago. I'm 49 years old and have, it seems, entered perimenopause, with irregular periods for the past few months (I am currently 3 days past what should have been the normal start of my period). I've never suffered menstrual cramps before but I've had a lot of pain "down there" for the past 5 days or so. I'm not sure if it's related to the surgery, menopause or just regular old period cramps because it all happened around the same time.  Can anyone tell me if the pain you've been experiencing since your surgery feels like severe menstrual cramps or is it a different kind of pain?  I'm just not sure what I'm experiencing. Like all of you, my doctor tells me all is normal, just give it time to heal.  I"ll tell you what though, I've got the go-ahead for intercourse after next week, but I'm scared to death to even try after reading all of these posts. I'm sure of the thousands of procedures that have been done, this is a small sampling of the worst case scenarios, but it is daunting to think of even just one woman going through this because of what seemed like a minor surgery that should have made their lives so much better. I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't have just stuck with Poise.

on nov 14 2011  i had vaginal mesh and a sling removed im having a horrible pain spasms,vaginal pain, pelvic pain and more still on post op but i am just getting the run around with no answers , getting worse not better!!!!!!

Besides the pelvic pain, has anyone had back pain also?? I have had back pain / pelvic pain (especially in the morning).  I fell 4 years ago a thought this was from that. Although, I had my mesh lift 5 years ago after a hysterectomy. I told my Dr. that I had numbness in one of my toes and she dismissed it. I still have it.  Anyone have any of these symptoms??

Cindy N.C.

I had a hysterectomy and Bladder Sling procedure done on April 14, 2011. Everything has been fine for me up until a week or so ago. I started having terrible pain in my lower abdomen on my right side. It feels like I can't finish urinating when I try and I am back and forth to the bathroom more than normal. I am also having lower back pain. I haven't been to the Dr. as of yet, I am almost kind of scared because I had the surgery to help me and now I am wondering if I did the right thing.??

I had the bladder sling surgery done extreme Pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO SEX!!!! !!!!!!! Year later had it removed Pain!!!!!! No SEX EVER PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Called a lawyer. Bladder sling is MUTILATETING WOMEN!!! Being taken off the market!!!! ABOUT TIIME!!! Nothing out there to help us at this time but get a lawyer firm on Bladder Slings. Get yourself a lawyer it only gets worse!! Do it now Angie. I have been suffering for 4 years since I cry almost every day. Your not alone, these doctors are still doing this for the money!!!

I would love to hear some advice on bladder sling surgery complications. I had bladder sling surgery as well and have a lot of pain, bleeding etc. the last doctor I saw removed some tissue attached to where my stitches were no pain medication very painful and it felt like she pulled my insides out and told me my mesh needed to be removed but she would not touch it. Where to go now very frustrated

I had bladder sling surgery three years ago along with a pelvic floor lift.  I went to a wonderful urologist who specializes in women's problems.  After surgery I had the same pain during sex that all of you are experiencing.  This is due to the muscles around the pelvic floor area becoming inflamed due to the surgery.  I had to have physical therapy for six weeks.  This is where you go to a specialized pelvic floor therapist (she was in the same office as my urologist) and they have computerized probes that message and stimulate the muscle areas inside to calm them down.  The therapists also show you how to do some therapy at home.  The therapy was a blessing, but your husband needs to have patience and take things slow for at least six months afterwards. Insurance covered it!  At this moment I am having pain consistent with a bladder infection, but I don't know if it could be a problem with the sling.  So I'm off to the doctors tomorrow. I'm hoping for a pill verses another surgery:)

I feel so bad for all of you have had such devastating results. I had just a bladder sling surgery done 8 days ago and so far, so good. I'm 46 and I haven't really had periods for about 18 months now. The bleeding I'm now experiencing seems more like having a period rather than post-op bleeding. I was able to use the bathroom twice before leaving the hospital and each day I have less and less discomfort. I have a follow up appt tomorrow and plan too ask my Dr how soon I can start running again. It seems like everyone on here has had the TVT surgery in conjunction with another procedure. Maybe so much being done in that region of the body is just too much to heal from at once. For women out there who are contemplating this surgery please know that there are success stories out there too.

ok everyone, what are we going to do about this?????

and what did your doctor say? i am in pain all the time from this surgery mesh that was put in. i am furious about it. i have written the fda and lots of people. something needs to be done about this.

i had bladder surgery in Feb. and I am dealing with pain on my right side. Had test and nothing is showing up.....could it be a pinched nerve. I feel the surgeon that did the surgery does not want to deal with me. Have you been helped since? If so what was done?

I have pain all the time and I bleed my vains in my legs bust all the time what was your symptoms?

Hi Everyone,

I read thru a few of your posts.  OUCH !!

I had bladder sling surgery in Nov 2010.  I had both stress incontinence and urge incontinence.  The surgery went well and during recovery the muscle around where the tiny incision is made on my left side was tender and it went down to my knee, this is a common after effect of this kind of surgery.   I healed up well and my surgery has been successful.

BUT around July 2011 I decided to try some easy back care yoga stretches, very light, all done on your back, this was to help a chronic sacrum muscle issue I have that effects my left leg nerve.  After 6 sessions everything was feeling pretty good then all of a sudden the night of the 6th yoga stretch I got what I can only describe as "a severe menstral cramp ache" in the left incision area (left pubic bone area)  went on all night, in to the next day, then stopped.  After 2 days I did some modified yoga stretches and it came back but lasted over a week. (I had a hysterectomy 17 years ago, so the return of a mentral cramp feeling was weird)   My bladder would feel loose, the cramping was severe.  I was scared I had "stretched" and ripped my sling away from the left side.  I went to my urologist and she checked me out, the sling was firmly in place but when she ran her fingers towards the left side, it hurt.  She said I more than likely tore a muscle in there, that I have very thick strong muscle in my pelvic area and doing the stretches had torn one.

So she told me to repeat post surgery recovery of 8 weeks, and not to attempt any kind of yoga or strenuous stretching exercise for about 5 years.  and don't be lifting over 11 lbs.

I am better now, but even if I try to walk too much or lift something heavy I can feel that twinge in the left  incision area, so I know that I am going to be limited.  She had told me also that after the surgery to be careful not to have "rough" sex as this can cause the sling to erode in to my bladder.  So my partner and I are very careful but I can sometimes feel some discomfort so we just modify our activity.  I don't know if this helps anyone, but this is my experience.  Right now my pelvic muscle area is in discomfort because I moved something, pushing it with my foot and that's all it took.  Taking it easy again and sitting on pillow.

I had a bladder sling lift about 7 years ago and have not been able to have a pap or sexual relations with my husband sense the surgery .

I was told that it was scar tissue and then I was told that my pelvic bone had shifted over my vagina opening. I was in my mid fifties and this been hard on me and my husband

i had surg in 2009. i also have had ct scans and pelvic/abd ultrasound. my gyn says she sees no reason why i should be in this much pain. she is not the same dr. who did my surg.the pain is bad. and increases when i move around. i feel i'm not getting the help i need. i'm going to the er tomorrow. it's been 6 wks. now. i can't take the pain any longer.