Good day there. My cat’s behavior is really weird in the past couple of days. I don’t know what the cause is but I could not be with her for two days because of this. She didn’t let me sleep, eat or anything else. I left her at my friend’s house because he told me that he knows how to deal with cats. Please, don’t call me horrible owner. Understand me. I was just tired. When I went to take her he told me that she is really stressed and that the main cause is pain. He told me that my cat has back pain but he is not 100 percent sure. Can you tell me how to recognize and manage back pain in cats?

Hello. Sometime cats won’t show any symptom that can indicate that they are in pain. But in your case it is pretty obviously that you cat is in pain. I don’t know how your friend was able to determine that she is having back pain, buy you should definitely listen to his advice.  But determining that your cat is in pain is like playing a detective since they hide it very well. You need to observe your cat’s behavior. But it is very rare that cats are crying in pain. That is so rare! They usually suffer in silence. I am not sure that your cat is dealing with back pain. I believe that there is something else.

It is very hard to tell. I agree that this in your cat is probably not a sign of back pain. But here are some signs that you can notice in your cat. Like someone told you, they often hide a pain so it is hard to tell. But when they are in pain they are biting everyone so you should be careful.

Observe her behavior, breathing and hearth rate. This everything can change if your cat is in pain. Don’t give medicines to your cat if you didn’t consult your vet about it.

If you are suspecting on back pain, try to give a massage to your cat.

Good day.

With all due respect, I think that it is very hard to recognize back pain in cat. I have a cat for a couple of years now and she had once or twice back pain. I never was able to determine that she is in pain. She is hiding it very well, just like other cats :/ It takes much more to determine it.

Treating a back pain in your cat is not that hard.

Usually it can be treated with some good massage or some medications that are prescribed by your vet.

Is your cat very nervous?