Hey there, I was wondering if anyone had an explanation as to why waking up early mornings gives me unspeakable stomach cramps and diarrhea.

Any time after 9 o'clock it's fine, I don't get any pain atall. But if I woke up say...7 o'clock then my stomach feels like it's been tied into knots and constantly being stabbed with sharp knives.

The diarrhea is also appalling. And it feels like no matter what I do, I can't get rid of it. Eating breakfast or skipping breakfast it's all the same. It's highly embarassing.

I've suffered with it since school (coming up 6 years now) and was constantly in trouble for "skiving" lessons, when truthfully I was just stuck in the toilet!

I'm Bipolar and have always had bad anxiety so my guess was that it was some sort of a nervous side effect, but now that I'm on medication (Only been on for a year) I would have thought it would have stopped but it hasn't.

Does anybody have any sort of clue what this could be?? I would really really appreciate an explanation for this problem and any advice on a resolve would be absolutely amazing.

Thank you in advance

Hi

I was always told it is a "nervous stomach" and may not be to do with the time you get up, but with the amount of sleep you get. I have a similar problem however I am male and noone seems to be able to explain the problem (Spoken to a doctor).

If you have to get up early try sleeping for 8 hours and don't drink anything hot like tea or coffee in the morning. Another thing that may help is not eating just before sleeping. Try having dinner earlier and see what happends.

I would love to know what this is and if anyone has heard of this before, please let us know.

Hi Again

Another thing I noticed is temperature also affects this issue. If you live in a cold area try getting ready in a heated area and keep warm.

Again, I have no idea what this is... but I'm assuming it is something to do with the body reacting to a irratic sleep pattern.

Thanks for raising this, have you worked out anything that helps with this problem?

thanks for your help.

I haven't worked it out. Though the sleeping patterns could have something to do with it. And I'm not so sure about temperature, but defiantly will try your advice about getting dressed in a warm area.

I never drink coffee or tea, so I assume it's not a caffeine thing. Though one time when experiencing these cramps I tried drinking cold orange juice and then all heat drained from my body and I fainted, don't know if that's related or not.

Thanks again for your help :-)

Hi there

Have found these comments very useful as I also suffer cramps during the morning especially on first waking. Drinking coffee does seem to make things worse. I am menopausal and as I seem to go between this problem and cramps I think that hormone levels maybe causing the problem. However I also get anxious and thing nervous stomach maybe true.

Had a colonscopy about a few years ago and was told I had IBS so perhaps it is a combination of all three.

Anyway it is interesting and rather comforting that I am not alone. Any comments on the hormone idea?

It sound biological, have you tried been tested for gluten intolerance and lactose intolerance as well as other food allergies?

Wow...I thought I was the only one with this problem.
I am a male with the same problem...i realized that if I have less then 6 hours of sleep and if i eat anything in the morning, then I'll feel very bloated and I will have cramps. Later on during the day (maybe a 3 hours later) I would have to go to the washroom, and I might even have to go more then once during the day. If I have over 6 hours, then in the morning, I'll eat breakfast and I will go to the washroom, but I still might have to go several times during the day. So, what I did was I stopped my morning tea (which did make a big difference), but my doctor also diagnosed me with IBS. During stressful times in my life, my stomach constantly has cramps, and I might need to use the bathroom 3-4 times a day. My doctor suggested I take Dictel, and IBS medication, and it's worked wonders. Everyone should try it, but it's still not perfect...if anyone knows anything else, or has any other suggestions as to stomach problems in the morning...PLEASE respond!
I hope this helps!

I hope this helps!

I've got this as well! Me and my partner bought a house together in Feb this year, and so I now get up early with him when he gets up for work (6:30-7am).

Since then I have had horrible cramps in the morning and need to go to the toilet several times. Even after going to the toilet my tummy is still sore for several hours.

I don't know what is causing these early morning problems, but at weekends when we get up later I have no problems. I was wondering if it could be IBS as occasionally I get cramps after eating certain foods, but this doesn't happen often. Have read a few webpages about it and sounds like it coule be IBS but of course none of them mention the early morning problems.

Does anyone know of any medications I could buy over the counter to try and relieve these early morning pains? I'm in UK.

I'm having the same stomach issues...every fricken morning. I strongly belive it has been brought on by extreme stress, depression and anxiety; which can lead to IBS, GERD, stomach ulcer. I have been waking up with immediate cramping and a loose stool, with the cramping continuing throughout the day. Sometimes I feel feverish, and it is accompanied by tightness around the chest. Time to see a Doctor!

I'm having the same stomach issues...every fricken morning. I'm a 31 year old male with a high stress job. I strongly believe the symptoms have been brought on by extreme stress, depression and anxiety; which can lead to IBS, GERD, stomach ulcer. I have been waking up with immediate cramping and a loose stool, with the cramping continuing throughout the day. Sometimes I feel feverish, and it is accompanied by tightness around the chest (probably stomach acid) and feelings of hunger. I have been doing a lot of research on this and most point to digestive issues related to stress. It was nice to read everyone's comments and it assured me that I am not alone. Food does not usually upset my stomach. I have taken Imodium for the cramping and diarrhea, but then would get contipated for the Imodium. It's time to see a Doctor, but thinking about what types of tests may be involved does not thrill me (tubes down the throat, tubes in the butt). I hope that this info has helped everyone out just as your comments have helped me.

Substantial relief can be found by cutting down on consumption of carbohydrates, especially polysaccharides, refined sugars and starches. All of these are known to destabilize intestinal flora, and perpetuate gut permeability problems by inducing ulceration and low production of intestinal mucus and hydrochloric acid. I highly recommend a book 'Breaking the Vicious Cycle' by Elaine Goldin, as a great starting off point in understanding this issue.

Hi, i have been searching the internet for this problem, I have been quite upset this last couple days, i am suffering from exactly same symptoms myself for 4+ weeks now and practically every morning and throughout the day. I have an appointment at the doctors on thursday 5 Feb 08, (only just read the articles). I have been worrying myself sick about it. I have been under an awful lot of upset, stress and anxiety the last 14 months due to my ex husband dying suddenly and unexpectedly. I wake up and can barely move cos of the pain and its all around my trunk area, even through to my back, it winds me and i have to be very careful, takes me ages to get up by rolling usually off the bed. Once i have been up and about for 15 mins or so the severity wares off but then i am left with this soreness around my stomach all day and very bloated, even till bedtime, have to keep going to the toilet, today was 4 times before 10am. Its very uncomfortable and feels like its in knots all day and you feel full, even when you have not had much to eat. Hope it can be sorted out easily and will go away, never experienced anything like it, I panicked at first thinking i could be pregnant but that is not the case. Help anyone please?

Like most of the replies here, I too, have the same problem- Stomach cramps in the morning. It's been 9 years since I have this, I think, since high school. I'm 23 now.

(I just woke up at 10am a few mins ago, I got the stomach cramps, decide to google, found this post and some article, got breakfast drinks in my hands and its 10.30am now. Let's see whether I'm gonna to go toilet this time)

It's not everyday that I have this, but lets say I always get stomach cramps almost 5 days a week of my life. I always skip breakfast, I know its bad, but if I have some early appointments, I'll avoid breakfast or I might end up 'detoxing' in the toilet (aka diarrhea). It took about at least 30 mins to get the stomach settle down and try to slowly digest my breakfast and pray that I don't go to Level 2 (toilet).

Every now and then, I try to not skip breakfast since I'm genetically skinny and in need to gain some weight. So since then, I started to experiment with my body how I can get away with this. Heres what I always do;

1) Try to get at least 7-8 of sleep (I'm not sure whether this will help so much since sometimes, not always I overslept and still have the cramps).

2) Wake up slowly, stare up the ceiling for 10 mins (haha) and breathe slowly like you breathe in your sleep. The way we breathe when we are asleep is different than when we are awake. So at this time, our body is going through some sorta transition before our body components can fully be operative.

3) Wait for another 20 mins, start making some breakfast. Tea is good but coffee is a no-no. I will try to avoid brushing my teeth at this hour. The mint doesn't do my stomach any justice. So is milk. I love milk, but not my stomach in the morning. Sigh. Try to drink bit by bit, depending on your stomach, if the pain starts to fade in back again, I suggest you stop for awhile.

*oh gosh, having one now. Releasing some gas. Feels ok now (lol!)

It seem to work for me a lot of times. I haven't consulted doctor yet, but if anyone know what is the symptom or disorder called and how we can really get around it, scientifically or factually, would love to get to know it.

Love,
Roze

I have the same 'nervous stomach problem'. Some mornings are worse then others, but every morning is bad. I am on prilosec and it is helping a little, but not much. I try not to dring alcohal before bed and this helps too.