Apply a cold treatment for hemorrhoids called "Anuice". anuice.com It stops bleeding from and shrinks hemorrhoids by application of ice cold. Keep in mind that the prostate is right nearby and will benefit from the cold. It worked for me on day 30 after my GL surgery, and might have worked sooner had I thought of it. Get two kits so that one is always ready in the freezer. You'll need them for hemorrhoids anyway. :-)

I had Green Light surgery about 11 months ago. A lot of the problems I'm reading about here sound familiar. At the time I had Green Light I couldn't find anything except proprietary information online. I checked out Johns Hopkins website and others but could only find references to older methods of laser surgery. I asked more questions of my urologist and was told TURP was the Gold Standard and had been proven to last at least 10 years but that Green Light had a record so far of about five years. The main selling point for Green Light was that it was less invasive and, after asking a lot more questions, I decided there was no reason not to use it. I said to my urologist that it seemed the main issue was removing material from the prostate to stop blocking the urethra and there was no reason why one means of removing the material shouldn't work as well as another. Although he'd been non-committal as to which was best he agreed with that logic. And he always came back to the fact that it was less invasive and involved a shorter recovery time.

Now I'm sorry I didn't go with the Gold Standard TURP. It took about four months before initial problems went away, including feeling like I might pee on myself and almost constant bladder spasms. I finally figured out that the medication I was given to address the spasms seemed to be making the spasms worse. It was a difficult call thought because it took about a week following stopping the medication for the spasms to go away. I only stopped when my primary care physician said I'd have to be on it for the rest of my life. That seemed unacceptable to me so I stopped. That was seven months ago. I had to figure out a lot of things for myself, going back and forth with some feelings of desperation between my primary care physician and my urologist, neither of whose advice seemed to work for me.

During the following months I saw my urologist several more times because my urinating didn't improve much. He asked a number of times about whether my bowel movements had changed. When I finally asked why he said something about the intestines putting pressure on the bladder.

Now its 11 months later and my stop and go urination is back to about the level it was prior to the operation. And in the past three days there has developed what feels like a constant inflammation somewhere in either my lower G.I. track or my bladder. Part of the problem from the beginning has been not knowing where exactly the stress, pain or whatever is coming from. I initially assumed pain was from the bladder because of some bleeding. But later the doctor's questions about bowel movements made me realize that some of the stress might all along have been in my lower G.I track. In the past three days there has all of a sudden developed a disturbing feeling somewhere either in my lower G.I. track or my bladder that feels like a constant inflammation. I'm very worried that there is something worse wrong with me. I'm going next week to my primary care physician and ask for a referral to another urologist or perhaps for something like a CAT scan to see what's going on down there.

to toni i.

My urologist is also telling me I may have scar tissue that is causing my stop and go and recommending the same tests you mentioned. But I think I'm going to see someone else for another opinion. It has just seemed like one excuse after another for too long. I want to see someone who isn't necessarily tied into the Green Light surgery.

I am a 49 year old man (from what I can gather, I am young to have this condition). I have had chronic BPH symptoms for around 8 years. My procedure was performed Mar. 30. Like some other posters, the urologist who performed the procedure gave me little information on what I could expect post op. I also made the mistake of believing the wildly optimistic claims in the Greenlight pamphlet. If you are considering Greenlight, please make sure to ask your urologist specific questions on recovery time, etc.

The procedure was performed in a local hospital on an outpatient basis. I was given general anesthetic due the severe urethral pain I suffered when undergoing a pre-op diagnostic cystoscopy. 10 days on I am still suffering from increased urgency, burning when urinating (the pamphlet does predict these issues)and considerable swelling of the prostate. I have had some intermittent blood in the urine, which is now mostly brown in color (or 'old' blood), and appears when the flow begins. My urine flow started out poor, but has steadily improved in both volume and stream strength. Post-surgery pain has severely limited my activity.

My whole groin area has been very painful since the procedure; however, I must point out that I had pelvic pain issues previous to the surgery. I had suffered from this condition intermittently along with the prostate problems for most of the aforementioned 8 years. The surgery seems to have amplified these symptoms.

My question for my fellow prostate patients is this: Did any of you have pelvic pain issues along with your prostate symptoms? If so, what effect has the Greenlight procedure had on this (and prostate symptoms in general)?

Hi, I am 52 and had suffered with my prostate for about 4 years. It had been getting progressively worse and I finally decided to have the Green Laser procedure to improve my quality of life. I was getting so bored with having to plan my activities around the availability of public lavatories.

I had my Green Laser operation on 1st March 2007. I was in the hospital overnight and home by 5 pm the next day. I had not fully appreciated my surgeons advice to 'take it easy' for a couple of weeks and ended up off work for a month.

I had a fever the day after I returned home which lasted for 2 days. I developed Thrush (Clamydia), diahorrea and suffered bleeding for 5 weeks. The pain was debilitating but the drugs the doctor prescribed for the inflamation and pain made me so sick that I had to stop taking it and switch to Ibuprohen which was not so effective and gave my nightmares. I suffered spasms in my prostate after urinating, burning and inflamation.

I was anxious that the procedure might affect my sexual function but I still get strong erections and a show of seminal fluid. I rather stupidly tried to have sex with my wife after two weeks and this extended the bleeding period and I passed a frighteningly large blood clot. My wife has made me wait now and I have agreed we will not try again until eight weeks after the operation. There are other ways to have sex so you can still satisfy your wife with a bit of imagination.

It is now six weeks since the operation and I still have a little pain at the tip of my penis but I no longer have any pain in my prostate and can function normally. I have some urgency but no where near as bad as before.

I am still amazed at the strength of my urine stream and the novelty of going in to a toilet, peeing and coming out again quickly without having to stand there willing my prostate to relax enough to let the flow out.

I have been been a bit depressed since my recovery was not so quick as I had been led to believe by the surgeon and I don't doubt that by trying to be too active too soon, including sex, I delayed my recovery. However, I feel much better now and I think I would still have had the operation even knowing what I now know about the recovery and the pain etc.

If someone who reads this is thinking about having the Green Laser procedure I would advise that the operation is not pain free, it takes longer to recover the larger the size of your prostate and when you are told to take it easy that means go home, sit down and don't move for at least two weeks. Lastly, even though you will be desparate to know don't try to have sex too early in the recovery period.

I am now nearly three weeks into the recovery from my Greenlight procedure (same 49 year old guy above). The pelvic pain has lessened a bit, but I'm still having considerable intermittent bleeding-old blood along with some scabs, some fresh. I have had periods where there has been virtually no bleeding at all, but each time I think I'm over the hump, I pee a toilet full of cranberry-colored urine. It is disconcerting to see this time after time, when the Greenlight procedure is touted as "minimizing bleeding".

My doctor still tells me this is normal, and can vary with the individual patient. I'm also suffering from penis-tip pain, which varies in intensity. At times it can be of the "grab the pipe" variety. I have not been foolhardy enough to attempt sex of any kind, masturbation or anything else; I have enough pain already, and have no desire to make things worse. Urge and frequency are still pretty high, and I expect this to last for awhile, then dissipate (hopefully).

I am able to do some mild housework now, but strictly avoid lifting anything heavy or straining my groin area in any way. It is clear that I am improving, if far too slowly. My Leave of Absence from work expires on 4/19/07, so I will have to go back on 4/22. I have to sit a great deal, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to work effectively.

My husband had the greenlight pvp surgery in 2005 because the urologist said there were NO SIDE EFFECTS.. WELL, my husband has been incontinent since the day of the surgery and he's only in his forties.. Imagine that.. Has this happened to anyone else..? Never thought he'd be in a diaper before he was 80 years old.. :-(

Billy M wrote:

I had laserscope on my enlarged prostate 12/20/06 and have had problems ever since - bleeding (throwing clots), pain in the penis tip, and now bowel problems. Doc says the pain is "referred pain" from the prostate. I think that, because of my larger than normal prostate for a person my age (63), Doc had to put extra time and heat to my insides, and therefore recovery will be longer. I am now at 8 weeks, urinating hourly, and taking laxatives just to get things going. Does anybody know how long recovery can be on this? My doc is very non-commital.

Billy- I have the same questions. I had PVP surgery 7 weeks ago. After 3 weeks I locked up again and went to the emergency room. They had to do a operation to clean out my bladder as it was full of clots and other depree from the first surgery. That was 4 weeks ago and I am still throwing clots and scaps. I pee better but I am up 2/3 time a night. I can pee clear for 4 times in a row and then I will start to bleed and throw a clot. I hate to pee now as I don't know what is going to come out. I am 63 and have not had sex since my surgery. Quite frankly with the bleeding I am scared to have sex. I think recovery is different for everyone but after reading you comments I may be luckier than I thought. I am taking a stool sofener and it really helps. Also I have not had any alcohol in 7 weeks. I don't know what effect it has but before my surgery I had 1 beer and I locked up. I had to go the doctor and have the dreaded catheter put in. I wore that for 5 days. I hope this helps everyone.

Had the GL Dec 06, no problems, recover minimal, worked extremely well until about March, when problems with flow, weak stream, etc., reoccured. Had a cysto June 07, opening has closed up again, so will have a second GL in about 3 wks. Anyone else had more than one so close together?

tony l. wrote:

Had pvp green light late 9/06. all was fine till 2/07. Early in 2.07, Stream reduced almost in a week and is now far worse than before procedure. Split stream most of time (one week, one dribble, and both at same time). Going more now during the day than ever before, with greater urgency and less flow. Nocturia has trippled. Urologist states "probably scar tissue is the cause", and it may have to go back in and cut scar tissue away, which will be determined after cystoscopy. Thought one of the biggest benefits of PVP was no scarring. Not a happy camper. Anyone else out there going through this???

I had the GL early Dec 06. No problems, results excellent. But in about Mar 07, flow weakened, problems getting started, almost to what it was before the GL. Had a cysto, the opening has closed up, so am schedule for second GL in 3 wks. Anyone have experience with having two GL's in less than one year?

I'm 54 and had the procedure done about 4 months ago.
I too think the doctors down play recovery process after this procedure. I had the surgery done in June. To keep my uritha open I had to have a catheter for five days which I was told was normal. After the cath. was first removed I did still have trouble with bleeding and weak urination. So I was but on flowmax for a couple of weeks and then went off of it. It is important though to be easy on the phisical activity for about 6 weeks if you want a better recovery. Things have since healed and I actually am quite happy with the results. I do have a very strong stream now. I no longer envy the other guys that sound like a hose is turned on when they are at the urinal. It is really great to urinate and have it flow imediately and with good pressure. It's now Oct of the same year and the only draw back I have is that I wear a pad at times to make sure I don't leak a little. I'm told this will clear up but I have been leaking a bit ever since the procedure. Not a lot but enough that it can be a concern. There was no problem with sexual function but don't try too soon, say less than a month or it hurts. I have had no problems with erections and for some reason my sex drive is stronger. The lack of ejaculate takes a little getting used to, but if your woman never like getting it in her mouth this is a blessing in disguise. I know everyone can have a different experience but except for the current leakage my was fine and I'm glad I did it.

I am reading all of the horror stories posted on this forum and it is hard for me to understand how so many men are having difficulties. Had Greenlight one week ago for an enlarged prostate (80 grams) which was cutting off my urine totally and forcing me to use a catheter. No problems at all with the procedure, home the same day with a catheter in for 3 days. Dr removed the catheter on the 3rd day. Urinated like a racehorse from the first day it was removed. A little blood and some minor clots the first day or two. No pain. Little discomfort. Urine has been basically clear for the last two days. First two nights had to get up a few times to urinate. Last night got up only twice. Taking it easy for three weeks and also no sexual activity for that time period (Drs orders). Taking Cypro antibiotic for 10 days. I am 67, in very good health for my age, and have always lived healthy and done some exercise.

I think the reason I am not experiencing any problems is that I have a very good Urologist who comes well recommended. He establishes guidelines for his patients based upon a large degree of knowledge. I listen and follow his guidelines explicitly. I don't drink, smoke, or use drugs. My wife takes a great deal of burden off my shoulders by doing what is necessary to get me back 100% healthy. I also tend to think that a lot of men today do what they want and don't listen or follow simple rules, even when their health is involved. I also feel that a lot of people want instant results from everything. Laser surgery is surgery. It is an operation just like any other type of operation. Operations tend to take time to heal. Sometimes up to a year for some people.

Recover varies due to circumstances that must be considered. How large is your prostate? Have you been using drug therapy? Some drugs like Proscar affect the vascularity of the prostate. This means more energy is needed to vaporize the tissue and increases the possibility of dysuria or painful post op urnination. Have you been catheterized? If so, for how long? Your bladder could be irritated?

There are so many factors to consider. Follow your doctors directions and do not strain yourself during the healing process. You have undergone a surgical procedure. Understand that the body takes time to heal and take care to follow directions.

The treatment is great for most but there are many circumstances that will affect the outcomes.

Had lasier turp on 12/11/2007 did out patient surgery.
Surgery was at 10:00 and was out in recovery at about noon.
Nurse took out the catheter about 4:00pm.
Took the pee from "HELL" after 14 glasses of apple juice at about 5:15pm
One more pee at about 6:00pm and walked out of the hospital and went home.
Suffered with pain while trying to pee for about a week. Leaked a bit the first week and that has pretty much quit. I really don't have any pain.
I've been plowing snow with a four wheeler since 6 days out of surgery without problems.

I had this procedure just three weeks ago tomorrow. I got to the facility at 1 and was home by 6. The next morning, as instructed, I removed the catheter myself. What a relief! For a week or so things seemed to be improving. I had a far better stream than before the surgery, and was able to empty my bladder with no stops and starts. However, after a week I started getting pain in the tip of my penis upon starting and a terrible ache along the bottom of the shaft at the end that took two or so minutes to ease off. I also started seeing some blood and a couple of clots and also started experiensing urgency problems. My urologist told me this was normal and would pass. As of today, I am just shy of completely pain free and the urgency problem is also almost gone. The bottom line is that for me, this procedure did exactly as claimed, and my only regret is that I waited so long. By the way, if it means anything, I am 57 and otherwise very healthy.