Hello everyone. I am a 17 year old girl, and I weigh about 260 lbs give or take a few lbs. I am 5'4'' and I'm planning to start a diet soon. I'm really interested in the Atkins diet and I'm going to the gym regularly. I just wanted to know if any of you had any tips or suggestions on how I can do it and/or any other diets you've heard of.

Hi Jellyfish

I don't normally weigh in on this topic.  However, my wife, 17 year old daughter and myself have all made a change in our lives over the last 10 months, and have lost weight.  My wife is 5'1'' and lost 40 pounds (now weighs 113).  My daughter and I each lost about 10% of our weight and are at healthy weights. 

What we did was 2 things.  We increased the amount of exercise we get by walking our dogs vigorously for about an hour 3 times a week and sometimes more.  And the second thing was that my wife, who for a few months had joined Weight Watchers, bought 3 Weight Watchers cook books.  She pays attention to the labels of what she buys and she cooks great meals from the books.  These meals are spectacular and don't taste like diet food.  We are eating very well and feeling super healthy.

Oh -- I have also cut down a bit on the amount I eat.  I eat about 75% of what I used to.  I also cut out unhealthy snack food.  Now if I'm hungry, I eat fruit or veggies for a snack. 

We all put on 3 or 4 pounds at Christmas, and it has all come back off already too. 

Hope this helps,

Doug

I have had very good luck with the Atkins diet, mainly because its more a type of food diet and not an amount of food diet. You do have to plan for it when grocery shopping to make sure you have the high protein foods on hand or you will blow it. Also it can be very hard on the digestive system eating all that protein when your body is not used to it. Someone on this forum recommended an enzyme supplement called No-Bloat and I tried it and it helped a bunch with my digestion issues (if you know what I mean). Have Atkins approved snacks handy or you will likely be overly tempted to grab some chips or some carb heavy snack that always seems to be around.