Hello everyone. I’ve been having problems with my dog lately. My family wants to give him away to this friend that lives in a house and has a yard. They say that he smells and that we cannot keep him in the apartment anymore. I must admit that he has this odor he never had before. I took him to the vet and she told me that the smell comes from his anal glands. I doubt my parents will give me the money to visit a vet again, so it would be very useful if you could tell me some home remedies for foul anal gland smell.

Hi. Anal glands can be a serious problem, that shouldn’t be cast aside. It’s quite easy to handle if you notice it on time.
My dog has had serious troubles with his anal gland. I tried everything. I used to spend half of my monthly salary to buy all sorts of medications, oils and stuff like that, but nothing would work. That’s when I noticed whenever I feed him with dry food the situation gets better.
You can even make dry food at home but if you ask me, there’s no need to do that. There are plenty of good brands in local pet shops.

Yes, this is the problem that I had before, with my dog, that was three years ago, when I had a dog.. I was really upset because I didn’t know what to do, and my old friend, Marry ( she is my neighbor and she is 71 years old) she told me about some natural remedies.  For example, you can try high fiber diet program, because that is the best regular diet and the best natural remedies. It helped me, but that is the only natural treatment that I know about. I know about some medications, but you don’t want that, right? :/

Hello everyone. I had this problem as well. I needed to give my dog into shelter, because my boyfriend could not stand this smell. We were taking my dog to the vet three of four times. They told us to use some oils, some creams and antibiotics, but nothing helped :/ Later, I found out that the best thing to do is to change his menu, and try some diet program. I would recommend this to you. I am really sad because I didn’t know about this back than :/ I would do this, for sure.
Good luck with it, try it!

The only way to treat anal gland smell is to take your dog to the vet and let him do the procedure of draining your dog’s anal glands.

If you have experience with it, you can do it on your own and that should eliminate the smell.

My dog sometimes leaves the smell all over the sofa even though I’ve been taking him to the vet regularly, ever since I noticed he’s having problems with anal glands.

You can use a regular dish soap for the couches if you want the odor to go away. It works better than other expensive cleaning products I used to buy. 

Once the dog develops foul odor from his anal glands, only emptying of them can help solving this problem. You can do that on your own, but better solution is to let your vet do the emptying. If you want to try this by yourself, you can watch tutorials on YT, but be careful, as it can be painful to your pet.

You can prevent foul odor from recurring by changing the eating habits of your dog (give him enough fiber) and giving your dog enough exercises. I know, it sound silly, but it really works because exercise keeps anal gland from blockage.

Hey there. No, don’t listen to those commercials or something like that. Those oils, creams can’t help you, at all. Those are just stupid things that someone will tell you to buy certain product, and that is not true. Like someone said, the only way to get rid of this annoying, awful smell is to empty anal glands. Yes, it is painful, but it is the only way. I know that a lot of people could not do that alone, so if you are one of them, take your dog to the vet :) It will be so painful, but this is the only way.