My friend has been getting on his legs, and where the sores come up he loses his hair. The sores are large, bright red and painful. He is also always hungry, no matter how much he eats. he's lost over 20 pounds in the last two weeks, and he cannot go to the doctor for he doesn't have health insurance. Have any ideas as to what's wrong with him? :/

This could be a number of things. Without being able to see the actual sores or know all the details of the condition, I can only speculate what it could be at this point.
Diabetes can cause severe rashes on the legs, including fungal infections under the skin.
It sounds like it could also be Scabies/ Scabies is an infestation of the skin with the microscopic mite Sarcoptes scabei. Scabies spreads rapidly under crowded conditions where there is frequent skin-to-skin contact between people. Scabiesdoes not focus on just one area of the body, however, and usually spreads all over the body.
Tinea, also known as Ringworm, is a fungal skin infection that can cause raised round patches and scab-like sores. It also can cause hairloss on the infected areas.
There are also STD's that can cause sores, weight loss, and hair loss, althought these symptoms are generally focused in the genetalia area.
I honestly don't know what it could be but IT SOUNDS VERY SERIOUS.
I am not insured either, but I do know that in the United States your friend can go to the hospital and they cannot deny them care just because they are not insured. They can work with your friend to set up a payment plan or whatever later on - but by law they must and they will give your friend medical care immediately. This doesn;tsound like something that is just going togo away on it's own. They need to see a doctor NOW. If it is diabetes, this could be LIFE THREATENING. If it is any of the other things, the only thing that will get rid of it are serious anti-biotics. Your friend may even need to be hospitalized.
There are FREE CLINICS in most cities around the US. Research it online, call 411and ask for free clinics in your area, or look in the phone book. You may have to drive to another town to go, but it will be free.
This is not something that can wait. The WORST thing you can do is nothing at all!!!!
Best of luck.