this is sooooo strange!!!! i've had this for years now. Im 19 and have had shingles, something which i noticed a few people had commented saying they'd had and maybe thought related to the burning/ tingling in left shoulder area, and also psoriasis another common link made in these comments. I also have arthritis, if anyone else does and thinks that could be a potential cause? although i had the burning far before i was diagnosed with rhuetoid arthirtis so maybe not. Interesting to see though..

This website explains it well. I have similar symptoms. Various expensive tests confirmed bulging discs, Spurs and pinched nerves in the lower neck. Physical therapy and steroid shot are not helping either. I guess these symptoms will be with me always. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notalgia_paresthetica

I am experiencng a crawling, burning sensation mainly at the lower part of my shoulder blade. This happens quite frequently and is very annoying. What could be causing this symptom

Has anyone yet gotten a medical diagnosis? I used to get this infrequently over the years but now its been persistent for about 3 weeks now and it drives me crazy!!! sny remedies?

I've been experiencing localised tingling on the base of my neck towards the left on my shoulder blade. It started about a year ago. I also have psoriasis at the nape of my neck but the two areas are separate. I wonder if it is nerve damage.

Mine is a crawling feeling on my left side of my mid-back. It goes from crawling to aching to stabbing feeling taking my breath away. I have lay down until it passes. Sometime when I do choirs around the house that is when it starts up. Help my doctors can't figure it out. Pain management is no help.

There might be a solution, at least that worked for me. (First off, I live in India. I'm an MT, so especially aware and sensitive to people with regional distrust and bias. ) Okay, so the cream is an Indian based ayurvedic cream, called Vicco Turmeric. You can look it up on Google. Not sure if you get it where you live but if you're friendly with any Indians, most tend to have it, and all you need is a pea-sized spot (at least that's all I needed). I came across this forum because I too had been experiencing the exact similar symptoms for the past two days and it was driving me crazy. I was freaking out at the thought of having to endure it for another hour more, much less the 1 year, 2 year stories I read here, why is why I'm posting this possible remedy here. In India, we tend to use Vicco for everything, from burns to pimples and night cream,etc. It stings a bit, esp. if the skin is broken. When I used it on the burning spot on my back, it hurt, more than the usual that I have experienced with this cream but it was similar to the pain that I was experiencing anyway, but after that initial 1-2 minute burn, I've had absolutely no pain for at least the past 3-4 hours or so. Not sure how long it will last me through today and I WAS stressed, moving my parents home for them single-handedly along with managing a small home based business and two kids, one of which starts preschool next week ... and I'd been popping two ibuprofens a day since all of us have been down with the flu ... sounds unbelievable, I know but I DID GET RELIEF and for me, that's what sounts right now. The pain would wake me from sleep and I'd not slept the past two days!!!

An update on the Vicco Turmeric post ... I've been 'normal' all day, none of the crawling, burning, piercing pain that I had been having... has anyone here even tried to get hold of that cram? Its definitely worth a try!

These symptoms all sound familiar to me.....
I had rotatorcuf surgery 5 yrs ago, so have wondeed if the sensations are damaged nerves or nerves healing themselves? I also had 4 puncture wounds for lung biopsies last Feb....2 were on the mid back.
I lost a lot of weight, so have some skin drooping on my back, I thought it was the movement of that skin drooping process??? It started on the Rt (same side as rotatorcuff repair/biopsies), but some of the time it's both sides.

That's exactly what it feels like to me is a TENS unit on intermittently. That is what I told my husband and he thinks I'm crazy. I have found that a hot bath helps mine. It's more noticeable after I sweat when I'm outdoors walking in the park. I also have a small spot on left elbow that is doing this. The main spot is left shoulder blade in about a 2 inch by 2 inch spot. Been doing this almost constantly the past 2 to 4 days. I had it for a while before but its been gone for months till now. Wish everyone the best with this thing. I thought I was going insane for a while b/c I've had high anxiety and stress for about 6 months now. Hoping for the Best for us all. Thanks Great Form here.

Wow! So glad I've found this post! Exact same spot, left shoulder blade near spine. Have been quite stressed lately and doing a lot of bending over with house renovations. Will bookmark this page. Intermittent burning sensation with ocassional stabbing pain. So glad there's others out there with the same thing. Will try some vitamins and see how I go.

I have the itchy strange left shoulder burn too

I too get a burning sensation in small areas on my skin. When touched it feels like an actual burned area. It can be in tiny area or even in a straight line down my leg. I also get nerve pain in my feet, ankles and sometimes calves. I do not have diabetes although it feels like neuropathy. Dr's cannot figure it out.

Ok guys thank you...I thought I was the only one going through this..When I go to the doctor, she says it is stress. But it is irritating. It is under my right shoulder. It feels as though there is a hot needle being stuck in my back. It itches and then it burns. I can still feel the after effects of it...and then it starts again. It comes and goes. It helps when I lean against something or just scratch with a back scratcher. It still burns like crazy..what is this?

I've been suffering from the exact same symptoms for the last 3 months now (side of my left shoulder blade near my spine) feels like a friction burn really sore. Initially I thought it was the labels in my clothes so I cut them all out, then thought it may be the silver chain i wore, so stopped using that, nothing worked. That I began to worry thinking it was skin cancer, so phoned my GP but as there is nothing obvious showing they said its is probably nerve damage within the skin's surface. Its a partial relief finding this thread and no one has come to a positive conclusion this issue isn't a major problem, like skin cancer or the like. I've just placed an order for some of the Vicco Turmeric Cream, i ordered it off Ebay, its coming from India and cost just under £2 delivered.

I'll update this thread after it arrives and if it actually works or not. Hoping it does as the constant pain is really starting to get to me now :-(