The virus can show no visible signs and live in your nerve beds under the skin. It can be dormant for years then a small burning rash may appear upon great stress, either physical or mental. I would suggest immune builders to see if that helps.
I'm not a doctor but I have spent a lot of time looking into this. 15 years ago I had a small shingles breakout after a stressful move and a car fire. I get a cold sore when I am stressed, my immune system is down or I'm on my cycle.
I had another car wreck a few years ago when this burning started on my left shoulder and my left thigh/ groin area. it even goes across my lower trunk at times making my skin sensative to the touch. I fell down the stairs on my tailbone causing body stress and a small cluster broke out. Now a coldsore cluster is on my lip shooting pain to my eye and the burning sensations like a hot match are back. This cannot be a coinsidence. P

Hello all.Please keep in mind i am no doctor.I would just like to give my 2cents,being that i have gotten past this problem and would like you to overcome it as well..I have been trying to understand this matter for a few weeks,as i too have these feelings of tingling,and sometimes itching areas as described.one area is a little under my armpit on my right side,the other is in between my spine and right shoulder blade.The feeling is like a sunburn when im not touching it.When i press on it,the feeling goes away so to speak.when i rub around on it gently,it feels a little intense and i THINK sore,it is so faint i cant tell if i am in pain,or if it is just a really intense feeling...To say the least, i would kinda feel like a baby if i went to the doctors for it lol..

I think some on here who have described their pains/symptoms are describing types of rashes and skin infections.I recommend you to see your doctor.there are many different rashes,some that are infections,and some that are from an irritation. As for the ones with feelings as i have described,i have come to understand that this is caused by anxiety,and stress.Think of it as a sore muscle or a bruise under the skin.I have been working out(and i dont mean lifting weights.I mean push ups,pull ups,jogging,good stretching.) and have noticed a significant change in the way i feel overall.Believe me i am no excercize freak,but i dont like to be out of shape.I have not felt the burning in over a week now,and i think it is due to the stretching and good little workouts here and there.I was already feeling that i was out of shape and havent felt like myself when i got these symptoms,and i guess i was right..I just didnt think that it had anything to do with my "burning" feeling..

I also noticed some of you said your symptoms came after lifting weights.Try to calm down on the weight lifting and work out on some cardio excercizes for a while and stretch yourself back out,you are probably just not properly stretched.

I cant promise this will help all of you,but please consider trying this if you have the sunburn symptoms like i had.I hope this helps!

Please have yourself checked out for scabies.

I have the exact same symptoms only it's a small patch on my right forearm. It just started and is very annoying. It is a deep burning sensation. The skin is intact, no redness or rash. I don't have psoriasis like others have mentions. I have rheumatoid arthritis. Both of these diseases are autoimmune problems. I'm thinking it has something to do with that.

Maybe we should try to see if any of us are taking like medicines or have been diagnosed with other problems.  
The only meds I take right now is Nexium.

No meds for me .... other than some supplements,

although I have been off the suplements for a few weeks now. not sure if there is a correlation since I get the sensation occasionaly and not as severe lately

I have had the same feeling about something crawling under my skin.  Also burning skin feeling.  Doctors do not seem to be able to detect or find what it is.  It is contagious....I know that for sure.  Can it be a form of Mycoplasma?  Has anyone been given the cure for this. Often the bottom of my feet feel itchy and like something is crawling under the skin.

This sounds like a pinched nerve of the cervical spine(neck). the symptoms may feel similar to your foot going to sleep but in the back or scapula area.

I have been so stressed with these syptoms for weeks now. Itchy creepy crawling across the topof my back and very tender scalp. We are going through a really tough time financially at the moment andi guess your body can only cope with so much stress. I thought at one point I was dieing and that no one realised. Thanks for at least making me realise I am not alone x

So relieved that this is not a mental problem (probably:)! 
We should really find out what is this... for future generations! :)

Hi I have experienced the same kind of burning sensation on my back just below my left shoulder blade a couple of inches away from my spine, I've been experiencing it for months now and it started as an itchy feeling and has now progressed into a fiery burning sensation. I've been using things like remote controls for many months to itch it daily but it only up until now happens in the evening but now it happens during the day at work. There's no sign of any rash, blister or anything, there's nothing there. I asked my doctor to look at it and they said there's nothing there but i'm now starting to get worried and like others I'm considering it to be something bad like a cancerous lump under the skin. Hopefully i'm just getting paranoid but I would like to know what is causing this. Like others I too have psoriasis, suffer from the herpes simplx virus and have arthritis so it links to quite a few different people's health on here. When it itches and i don't do anything about it, its gets worse and worse and won't settle til i scratch it with something, which probably has made it worse and could just be that i keep irritating it and therefore not letting it get better but I have to itch it otherwise it hurts so bad! I'm seeing the doctor next week and i will ask them again to look at it or refer me to a dermatologist maybe as I have brought it up twice now so they should be able to do something about it now, hopefulyl. I will send another post if i get anywhere with it. It's good to know i'm not the only one and hopefully it's nothing serious but the prognosis of it being a skin allergy like psoriasis or herpes is a strong possibility.

I also have this issue.....the top of my right forearm and this burning sensation has been going on for 2-3 years. I do have Psoriasis too and y Dermatologist thinks nothing of this. I sometimes "rub" the area cause it feels like it is on fire....no other spot but here. Very odd.

Hi. I have been experiencing exactly the same symptoms well over 5 years now. Feels like burn under skin on right side of my back below shoulder blade. It can be for months without any sign of it before it reappears.

Can't believe how many people have this, thought it was just me!! 

Mine started about a week ago, woke up with a burning sensation under my skin almost like something was crawling under it, got scared it was a insect or worm yuck. It comes off and on. I'm 17, good health, dont smoke or anything, sometimes can be quite painful but only lasts a few seconds, anyone know what this could be?????

You are so right!! I had this same exact thing... Left shoulder blade towards the spine in the center of my upper back... Had the breakout also and was confirmed that I had a mild case of shingles... It has been months now and I continue to have the symptoms of tingling, crawling, numb and burning sensations underneath the flesh... It is peripheral neuropathy which is caused from nerve damage from the shingles... It can last anywhere from several months to even years from what I understand. Good luck with it, and please repost if you learn anything new or different..