I have the exact same problem, started about two weeks ago. Burns in and off, sometimes aches. It seems to have happened after sleeping awkwardly in my van, mind you Ive also had my wife attempt suicide AND a close friend die in a work accident recently. I also work in an offixe sitting for long periods of time.

Im early 30s, mddications = Pain Killers (opiate), Clonazapam and Ritalyn. (car accident + anxieth + long term add). I am otherwise normal and healthy with a good job.

Im trying to think of any common factors amongst us. 

If someone finds out what this is please let the rest know.

The condition described in this thread does appear to be "Notalgia Paresthetica", as identified by the fifth posting that precedes this one.

My experience with this unusual "skin crawling" feeling just below my left shoulder blade, towards the spine, started just four days ago and keeps re-occurring.  I was surprised to find this discussion forum where the condition seems very specific and quite common.  It first started for me when I was mowing the lawn, but I had been experiencing back pain (mainly localized in the centre of my back) for about a week immediately prior to that, as a result of working fairly steadily for a week on preparing and painting the ceiling and walls in our living room and hallway.  I'm 60 years old, semi-retired and reasonably fit, and not notably under stress otherwise.  [Two days ago I also experienced the sort of flashing in my right eye that I experienced some years ago with a partially detached retina ... and the subsequent appearance of a small "floater" in that eye that I noticed while reading ... but the timing of the eye experience relative to the "skin crawling" feeling might be pure coincidence.] 

In any case, the following are examples of links that describe the symptoms etc related to Notalgia Paresthetica:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notalgia_paresthetica

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** 

Sept 9, 2011  .... further to my immediately preceding posting from three days ago regarding Notalgia Paresthetica (NP), I also came across a 2010 medical article on the internet entitled "Notalgia Paresthetica: Successful Treatment with Exercises" by professors Fleischer and Meade from Dept of Physical and Occupational Therapy at the Wake Forest University Health Services in North Carolina.  The article provides additional context regarding NP and helps to provide an offset to some views that NP is related to spinal problems.  The causes will be different for different people. 

The moderator removed the links that had been provided in the prior posting (oops, I had not been aware on the restrictions regarding various links), but in addition to looking within Wikipedia, you can locate various other articles yourself by including terms such as "pathophysiology" along with the phrase "Notalgia Paresthetica" in your google search.  Some of those articles include references to various medical journal articles.

Good luck   .... Dan

Great forum and I am thankful I found it. I will explain my symtoms which are identical to a few others but also a little different.

It started with a burning sensation under the skin near the left shoulder-blade. I had my wife look at the area many times as it felt like it could be an ingrown hair or a festering blackhead, it was more annoying than painful. This was about 6 months ago. It is now a more constant burning pain but still bearable, but I have also developed what feels like a muscle strain in the same area which is also affecting my shoulder and neck.

I am 53, vegetarian, non smoker in pretty good health, no stress, maybe drink a little too much red wine.

There were some previous emails with advice that I will try, and then let you all know if anything works.

I can not believe how many of us are suffering these similar symptoms.

Mine is on my forearms and the tops of my arms and it feels like something is crawling under my skin, it is a prickly burning itch with no marks on my skin and the only thing that relieves it is a cold flannel.

It is driving me mmad and when I went to the GP he did not know what it was but told me to take antihistamines, I find the cold flannel does the trick.

I do have eczema in my hair so unsure whether this is a nervous thing??? come on we need diagnosis.

does it feel like it is on your skin or in the tissues? if it feels like its tissue it could be due to the dislocations and the tissues not healing properly causing them to twitch and feel like hair or light touching of your back. i would go see a nuroigist if it presists much longer.

What are relief! I'm not the only one in the world! I have suffered from these exact symptoms. At first it seemed to happen the morning after I drank. So I quite drinking. No seriously... I quit drinking. If you've had the itch you understand. It still came on after I would sweat (workout, golf, suntan, play sports, anything fun etc.) I've been to 3 general practitioners, I've been prescribed a cream which failed, some prescription strength Benadryl, failed, and now an anti inflammatory, ehhh don't think so, haven't given up on it yet though. Next stop is neurologist. I've dealt with this for over 4 years. This is what helps me, in this order: 1. Hot meal 2. Shower(dove hypoallergenic soap) 3. Relax with my back against the couch until it goes away. If I am unable to accomplish this before the itch becomes unbearable then I'm screwed, the itch consumes me mentally and physically. Also, one more thing, and I am somewhat apprehensive about mentioning this for fear of damaging my credibility but, I discovered in college that if I take one or 2 tokes of quality marijuana during step 3 of the process mentioned above then it seems to speed the process up quite a bit. I do not know if it relaxes my muscles, or just takes my mind off of it, or a combination of both, but I do know it works. Other things that I do that may or may not work are: use hypoallergenic detergent, try to shower in the evening instead of morning, eat well regularly, no alcohol, wear a clean white cotton tshirt all the time (yes, to bed too), don't sweat or stress.

Started having this symptoms about two weeks ago, at first I though it was related to the bra strap or something like that but the skin was not irritated as you might expect in that case.  
After reading all the post so far was weird because of the symptoms, exactly the same spot (left shoulder blade), never expected this to be so common.
The definition of Notalgia Paresthetica makes a little sense to me, a couple of years ago my family doctor told me I have some kind of problem with one of the nerves on my back, the result of a couple of falls I had, so I guess this annoying feeling is a cause of that.
Now I am a little relief, although I will definitely check with my doctor.

I am suffering from the same thing. I had a summer job at a potato grater that required me to bend over for long periods everyday. When it was over a few months later near the same area everyone has said right in the crease of your shoulder blade and a little up also. I get this pinching feeling so bad that it makes me twitch and it itches and feels like something is biting me and crawling under my skin. Sometime I will get this feeling on both sides sometimes like a deep sharp pinch like a nerve. If it is nerve damage is there any help or do i have to live with it for the rest of my life? My dermatologist told me to go get an xray of that spot. Will an xray show a pinched nerve. I hate it. Its everyday, somedays it itches more than other days. 

I to have the itchy burning sensation on the left side of my upper back by my shoulder blade and spine. it is very annoying. in order to make it go away, i have my 6 year old daughter stand on that spot. sometimes it helps and other times it does'nt. i too suffer from anxiety, and the doctors cant seem to tell me what this is i am experiencing. I too just want to no that everything is ok and that this is not life threatening.

For over 2 years I have had the symptoms being described. Crawling sensation, feeling like I need to scratch the area behind my left shouler blade. My physician diagnosed it as Nostalgia Paresthetica. It is a nerve disorder. Look it up and ask your own physicians about treatment options as the condition worsens.

I have the same thing only mine is on my left side right above where my waistline begins.  I thought it might be a rash but nothing is there.  Last night it was terrible.  Very painful but also has an itchy feeling too. 

I couldn't believe it, I searched "small sensitive patch of skin on my back" and came up with this discussion exactly describing my symptoms. It's like having a tens machine attached to your back and turning it on intermittently. I wouldn't have known how to describe it to the doctor without sounding stupid. It started about a week ago and only occurs when I bend down and then irritates for a short while after that. Is there any cure or are we destined to suffer the rest of our lives?

What I believe you all are experiencing is shingles/herpes. 

If I had a rash I would agree with you but there is no visible sign on my back whatsoever. I showed the doctor and she suggested a trapped nerve.