My symptoms have varied a little from most of these postings but I am inclined to think they are related and that it is some nervous system manifestation.  Several years ago, I went though an extremely stressful divorce. My back( the whole back) was on fire. I also went for medical help...no answer.    It went away eventually, then one day my ex sent a threatening letter and my back immediately went on fire again ( no redness, just burning) . I then realized there must be something to do with stress. Now I periodically get patches of burning and sometimes itching. Most often it occurs on right back and right now my left hip. It started out itching like crazy, now it is tender and burning.  When this happens , I look to see what is happening in my life.  I am under some stress, but nothing I cannot deal with. I have come to the conclusion that I am vulnerable and the skin must be my stress organ, just like some people get GI or cardiac problems.

While it was somewhat comforting to find that I am not alone..... It seems no one has gotten any conclusive answers to this problem. I am going to address it with my doctor on my next visit, but like most of you, I know there is nothing there and they will find nothing and probably think I am odd or something.   It started with me feeling like a hand was on my back in the same exact spot you all are describing on the left shoulder below the shoulder blade but towards the spine.  I actually turned around the first time it happened. Of course there was no one there. I have no pain.  I really have no itching... this has increase in occurance considerably over the last few weeks.... I think its happening everyday now. I reach back there, but its hard to reach... my muscle fees tight.  But that could be what happens when I reach back there.  I had described it as feeling like someone was touching me, but actually its undulating... crawling.... I may have mistaken that feeling of crawling numbness as a feeling of being touched.  Crawling numbness is a better description.... I can just see me telling my doctor that I feel like someone is touching me.  Yikes....  I have undiagnosed very minor phorrisis... I have a lot of stress and anxiety, I have had bouts of rashes primarily on my left side.  This has been going on for the last year and a half or more.  I get these painful itchy postules and one is incredibly distracting. I have tried to communicate this to my doctor, to me it sounds like shingles, but she says no. I get migraines with aura and have had torticullis and other back spasms.  These pimples, postules, come out on my left side at my neck under my ear, behind my ear, under my left breast anywhere from under my armpit to my sternum, along my hip area,  and on the left side of my groin and on my stomach. They can be a few as two or three and almost like an attack.  I never get to show her how they look when they are breaking out.  They vary in size. They hurt and yes, I guess you could say they burn, but they also itch.  By the time she sees them, I have scratched them, probably in my sleep. These only last two to three days and they usually group.  One will pop out and then a few more in the same area.  Anyway, the crawling in my back is getting very distracting and I identified with what a lot of you said.  Its not normal and I am very tired of it...  Ive saved the site and will let you all know if I find out anything conclusive.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I have many similarities to all the posts here except for location.  Mine started about 2 months ago and it is on my left abdomen near my waist.  It started the first two weeks with a bad burning sensation like I was being jabbed with a hot poker.  Very painful.  I actually, too, thought I was developing shingles.  That faded away and now it is a frequent feeling of something crawling under my skin.  and itching.  I will even raise my shirt periodically thinking for sure there is a bug on me.  It is very annoying.  I just went to the doctor for something else this week and I almost mentioned it, but I was sure he'd think I was crazy!!  I see many people commenting that it happens when they lift weights or concentrate or study.  I don't lift weights.  As a matter of fact, I've recently gained about 20 lbs (over the last  year) and I thought maybe my skin was stretching.  ???? - I do notice it more when I am still and concentrating though.  Like now as I am typing.  Stress related perhaps?  I think maybe so -  I see no one has a real answer, but at least I'm not alone. :)

wow i stunbled on this page by accident nearly didnt look because the original post was so old, i get a tingling n yes i described a crawling sensation in my google search in the left shoulder near to the spine it sometimes spreads to the right, i thought mayb its a trapped nerve as when i cycle i get a sharp stabbing pain between the shoulder blades, i was gonna try a sports massage to see if it eliviated it but not sure now, i am also under a lot of stress at the moment too so wondering now if it is stress related? mayb the massage will help after all!!

I, too, have the crawling sensation in my left shoulder blade.  Just a couple of months ago, I suffered a pinched nerve in my cervical spine that caused pain to radiate to my right arm.  A cortisone shot cured that.  I believe the onset was driving across country and sitting in the same position for so long.  I wonder if the left shoulder thing is also a pinched nerve of some sort.  I am a 60 year old female with osteoporosis and stenosis in my back.  I have a feeling as my spine compresses with age I will be getting these funny nerve sensations.  I'm trying to do the saveourbones.com diet to increase bone mass.  It has increased in my hips, but not my spine.  Any comments? 

I am having almost exactly what you are are! This has been going on for almost two months. Very scared and stressing about it. I am still getting the pains though and they are also in various areas of mostly front "trunk" of body. I was checked for an aortic aneurysm (aorta was fine) and blood work was normal too, except for TSH. Right around when it started, I had a few of the external itchy patches on front thigh and one on upper arm (these resolved now) others noted. These "patches" started a few months ago, about the time of the "pains," but about two months prior to these pains/crawly feelings getting bad, as they are now. I get chiro treatment for lower back issue, but disc is okay. Because of what others have said about shingles, thought I would mention that I have never had chicken pox, but have had the varicella vaccines (long ago). I am female, about 50 y/o.

thank god I have found this site I have had the same symptoms for a while on my back below left shoulder about pancake size it gets realy hot and painful but nothing to see,it comes and goes would be great to find out what it is

My husband is having pain/itch/burn around his rotator cuff. Wondering what it is. Any conclusions?

Could bee peripheral neuropathy involving the sensory nerves.

I also have some of these similar symptoms. It has been persisting for about 2 years now. It is a burning/itching sensation under the skin near my left shoulder blade and spine. The problem has to be neurological in nature. However, I also think I know what is causing all of our pain from observing my own habits along with reading all of the posts. I thing the pain is probably associated with some sort of spinal peripheral nerve compression due to poor posture. I am a student and I sit down the majority of the day. My thoracic spine (upper back) always takes on this rounded posture when I am sitting. This is usually unconscious and habitual. And I believe this is what is causing the problem, as my pain usually goes away when I make it a point to try and sit up straight and practice good posture when I am studying or sitting at a computer. Reply to this message and let me know what you guys think. Do you all have jobs which require a lot of sitting? Do you sit all day? If so, are you constantly slouched with a rounded upper back posture? 

Wow! I am so happy to know that there are other suffers. Sorry ya all! Mine started a few months ago with the initial feeling like other women, it was my bra that was bothering me. Left shoulder just below shoulder blade. I first thought maybe shingles but, I have had a shingles vaccine.  The pain got bad enough that I needed to take Ibuprofen or something so I could sleep at night.  This lasted a few nights and come to think about it, it seemed to be worse at night. The pain stopped but, that prickly feeling continued so slightly.  I did see my Dr. and she was not sure and put me on antibiotic and that did not help.   Today, about a month later the pain came back so, I came online and found you all. I am relieved that I am not alone and plan on looking into "notalgia paraesthetica". I am pretty fit, I work out 6 days a week and eat very well so I do not know what else I can do. I will continue to check out the post on this site to see if anyone else has found a name for this.

I too have this extreme pain in my upper arms mostly of the outer areas. I have been to every doctor, even the emergency room, they have found nothing to cause this issue. I also had neurological testing to no avail. the pain overcomes me so much that I can't sleep can't have anyone or anything touching me. I have tried every prescription and over the counter med, nothing works. I am at my wits end with this thing. my life is miserable and no one understand just how painful this problem is to me. I did notice that heat makes my problem worse.

Check out Notalgia Paresthetica for problem with intermittent crawling and burning sensation on the back.

I have been recently diagnosed with IC . Recently I have started having intermittent burning to my buttocks and now it has creeped up to other parts of my body eg legs arms , finger tips , toes . I think that there may be a correlation of these symptoms to histamine .

Has anyone experienced any of these symptoms and what has helped with the burning sensatations . 

I have the exact same thing.  I wish someone would post an answer or diagnosis of some sort.  Rubbing the area makes ifelled better and go away for a while.  It is very intermittent a with no common clauses that I can find.