You made the right choice by deciding not to go through with the detox! And it seems you are doing the right thing so far!

I would suggest being open with your doctor about everything. Based on my experience, subutex is much safer for pregnancy, and babies are less likely to experience withdrawal from it. Your doctor is mandated to keep the information you give her confidential, unless you are planning to hurt someone else or yourself.

So, I think the best thing to do would be talk to your doctor.

Oh, and you sound like a wonderful mom! Good job on getting things together! It's rough!

-Kaydon

Hi guys,

Thanks for writing back and sharing your stories. I posted back in October 2009 and am pleased to say I am down to 0.2mg from initially starting on 10mg of Subutex.

I know it sounds like nothing but from my experience it's better than having withdrawals coming off a higher dose. It is not advised to stop your Subutex/Suboxone cold turkey whilst pregnant - whatever withdrawals YOU personally feel will be transferred to your baby - NOT GOOD - so decrease very slowly.

It's Feb 16th and I my cut off date is 28th Feb and I'm really looking forward to it - a little scared but more proud! I will be 26 weeks pregnant and hoping that my bub experiences no side effects of my old habit.

Also - to keep you updated... I quit smoking on Decc 7th 2009 after getting hypnotised. I think, if you have a reason big enough to stop - you absolutely will. It's kind of sad to say but I don't think I could have stopped smoking for me. But becuase it's for my baby, I had a higher purpose if you like.

I hope this assists people. My advice - no matter how bad everything seems - there is always hope and always a way out.

Thanks for listening & sharing xx

I understand where all you women are coming from on the addiction stand point. But I am turning 25 years old and grew up with a severe drug addict in my life....aka my mother.

My mother suffered from all sorts of depression, all sorts of issues. Alcoholism, xanax, pot, 10-15 types of pills. She was a closet smoker, and she brought bad men around the house. I used to take her box of pills and hide them in the cupboard so my friends wouldn't ask questions. She looked like she had cancer she had sooo many bottles. All (she claims) legit, prescribed thru a doctor.

My point is. I know my mom loves me. But we will never have the relationship that was possible. She let me down, didn't show up to events and softball games. Would yell at me in front of people. Would forget to pick me up from places before I could drive. She would dead bolt lock herself in her room and be unresponsive. Me and my sister would knock on the door and we would hear her get up and collapse on the ground, get up, and collapse again. Get up and collapse again right in front of the door. And all we hear is her mumbling and leaving us crying screaming and in a panic. She would disappear for days. We would call the police looking for her. She would vomit on herself. She wouldn't shower for days. I would put her to bed and tell her to brush her teeth. She would pass out in the bathtub almost drowning herself. I've been chased through the house by her boyfriend. I've seen domestic violence. I've heard her having sex after the domestic violence happened.

UGH!

Needless to say my mom is on the deeper end of things in terms of her addictions. She's doing slightly better now, but her brain is all kinds of F****D up. She now has pain every where. She can't work, can't drive. And she manipulates her boyfriend now. She clearly has some issues. In my heart, I love my mom very much. But I don't talk to her. I don't want to visit her. I don't want her to visit me. I don't call her back sometimes as it is so draining.

Do you ladies want your kids to feel this way about you one day? I find a lot of selfishness in your attitudes.

"Ive been using lots of drugs and found out i'm x number of weeks pregnant, I'm scared I want to keep the baby!"
"I tried quitting after being on 8-12 mg a day" "I was too scared to tell my doctors what is going on, in fear that dyfus may get involved or something crazy like that! I already have a five year old son, and luckily I wasnt an addict when I had him. But needless to say I am a very responsibile, loving, caring mother. " are you sure?! My mom thought the same thing. the reality is you're a DRUG ADDICT! That takes precedence to anything else in your life. you're even too scared to take responsibility for your choices and tell your doctors the truth!

Why?! You clearly have drug and alcohol addictions, why bring in another life for you to care for. When you're a drug addict, nothing can keep you clean, except yourself. People think having a child will inspire them through love and devotion to stay off drugs. You're wrong. It might get you clean, but it won't keep you clean. My mother was amazing to me when I was young. I have very fond memories of her. But that was a lifetime ago, and I don't even consider my mom the same person anymore. She will never be what she could have been. I don't want her to be at my wedding, or around the kids I may have one day. I don't want her around my life to let me down! I am old enough now to protect myself.

I am asking you women, as a child of an abusive drug addict, as a child who TURNED INTO a drug addict, as a woman myself, WHY? WHY WHY WHY? You clearly have your own issues to work out, You can take and get drugs on the street. But you can't take birth control? (I understand their are circumstances, and things I don't know. but the selfishness is disturbing!)

Why not give your child up for adoption instead of bringing them into a home were they will pick up on your drug addicted behavior? I'm glad I am here in the world, but I've had to go through addictions, failures, therapy, suicide attempts, abusive relationships, ECT ECT. I repeated what I saw without even meaning too. I searched for love in all the wrong places. I started smoking pot in high school because It made me feel like I had camaraderie, like I belonged. Like people wanted me around. For the most part I was a good kid, but there were a few nights I never came home, and my mom never knew, nor cared! I have been able to help myself to the best of my ability, but not everyone is able to do that. My sister didn't develop a drug and alcohol problem, but instead she became anorexic and bulimic. JUST A LOT OF PROBLEMS which were a response to what we grew up with.

It disturbs me how selfish people are these days. Having children they can't properly care for. Having kids and feeding them junk food to the point that they are obese. Having a baby already addicted to drugs! Give these children a choice! Let them choose if they want to be obese when they understand what body image is and self esteem feels like. Give them a choice to become drug addicts, don't force it upon them! These lives are in your hands, but only if you make the choice to have a baby! Havign a baby is the single most selfish and selfless thing you can do. but most people don't follow through with the selfless part. I'm sorry if this is harsh but im very disappointed in the society i live in today and the selfish choices people make without thinking through what they are doing.

Good luck to you all. I hope you do the right thing.

I read alot of post about pregnancy and suboxene. I just found out that I'm 2 mos. pregnant and I have been taking suboxene for 8+ months...(not prescription) 2-4mgs./day. I noticed alot of replies to women with the sme or similar concerns where Subutex is mentioned. Is it safer and less chance of the baby having to go through withdrawls? OK ? 1.what would the best thing for m to do as far as that goes? ? 2. I do hve a script for klonopin (panic attacks and lots of anxiety- this one really is needed), but is it safe or is there something safer? No, I dont have a Dr. yet, I just moved to N.H. from PA. and I have to get insurance. Any help on either or all of these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance :-) Janell Machester, N.H.

Klonopin is a Class D and is not good at all in pregnancy. All the benzos are CLass Ds -- in the first trimester they can cause birth defects, and in the 3rd trimester they can cause baby to be addicted and appear "floppy". Occaisonally a doctor will keep you on it if is thought your panic attacks post more threat than the baby.

As for Suboxone, I just want all the pregnancy ladies to know you CAN get off Suboxone and Subutex while pregnant. You have to be really strong and want to do it for your baby. You have to buck up and deal with it -- and cant drown yourself in benzos during the withdrawal. I've been off for almost 3 weeks and still feel really bad, but its getting better each day and I'M CLEAN. I keep telling myself as bad as I feel, I'm still walking around drug free, eating healthy, and my baby is drug free. I havent miscarried yet and I'm 7 or 8 weeks. The first 5 days are really bad and you pretty much need some sort of sedetave. After that your just super tired, foggy, cold and shaky -- but able to function. Staying on Subs is the easy way out -- make no mistake that you are STILL addicted to drugs if you are on Subs, and you will be once your baby is born, and your baby will be too (altho the withdrawals in the newborn are supposedly not that bad if your on a low dose). I"m not trying to judge -- and if you think you will relaspe onto street drugs then it probably is best to stay on Subs. But please realize the longer you are on Sub the harder it is to get off -- it is no different then any other narcotic. The withdrawals are hell. You can do them while pregant and risk miscarriage, or do them later and risk problems with your baby. By contniuing on Subs your basicly charging up a credit card that will have to paid off one day. Subs are great for short term use during acute withdrawal from opiods, but when taken long term there is a really big price to pay. Yes you get control of your addiction and stay off the streets, but make no mistake you are still addcited and if you ever wanna come off your gonna be hurting - bad. The longer your on Subs and the higher your does the worse the withdrawals. Jumping off a 1 mg dose/day is hell. If you are at 8 mg/day its unbearable.

Just wanted to give a different perspective from someone who is pregnant and getting OFF subs.

I was on 60mg o.c. Daily but when I couldn't get that I got methadone, lortab, percaocet, etc off the "street" I finally moved back home and my mother who had a script to subxone, shared with me. I started off taking 4mg a day for a while then lowered down to 2mg a day.
After a while of doing this I would skip days inbetween the dosages And was fine. I didn't like not being on it all together because I enjoyed the high it gave me and because of my increased depressionit made me feel better like I could actually wake up and function. The withdrawl symptoms from suboxone are very low and are not hard to go through; I found when I actually wanted to stop taking it it was alot easier for me but when I started wanting to get high it was all I thought about;
And then I found out I was pregnant this past January; I was so stressed out so I started taking my 2mg every day (I found out I was pregnant 3 days after it happened, lucky me) allthough I was taking a low dosage; I still had a misscarriage my 3rd week, which was not an emotional event thankfully since I was so early. There is not an actual answer as to why I had one but I myself believe it was because of the suboxone. I advise any of you to switch to subutex if you have any doubts; I don't know much about subutex but I do believe in my heart the suboxone was the cause of my miscarriage.
Also methadone is not a safe drug to take while pregnant; I have many friends who have been on methadone durring pregnancy and their children died of SIDS after they were born. Again, I don't know the facts but the pieces fit. Xanax is also not a very safe drug to take while pregnant.
After my miscarriage; I started skipping days between dosages again and finally came off of everything all together. There were NO withdrawl symptoms besides depression and irritability but I finally saw a doctor and got on a really good anti depressant (a must!) and now I feel FANTASTIC!! I feel more healthy and better than I have in my life and so much more happy knowing I could do it and that I did it! Now I refuse perscription narcotics and opiates and stay away from benzo's and marijuana ; if only I could kick my cigarette habit :-) but I urge all of you who truly want this for yourself that you can do anything you want! Now my fiancé and I are planning another baby and this time I feel good about it. Bless all of you and I hope you all find the answers you are looking for
I hope my story didn't scare any of you but hopefully some of you will find it helpful. Goodluck!

Hi my name is Jennifer, I have 3 children, 4, 3, and 16months. My first 2 children were born before I stored doing pain pills, I have been addicted to oxycodone for almost 3yrs now. Unfortunatly, my last child was born addicted as well. She is okay now, healthy, and has been walking for 2 months now. She is very smart, loving and happy. I didn't have the propper prenatal care while I was pregnant, and never stopped using. I did however, slow down, and somewhat if you will, have my addiction under control. I would not suggest this method to anyone. I'm posting this reply as a "What not to do in this situation"!!! I do understand what it's like to be scared throughout the entire 9 months I was carrying her. I was scared to stop because of the horror stories I had heard about miscarrying, I thought that if I were withdrawling then my baby was too, I mean I was a mess! I found out after I had her that I did have other options. It was horrible to watch my tiny daughter go through withdrawls, I still cry about it. I have been there and I do understand what you guys are saying. I just want everyone that's in my shoes now, or is walking the same path as I did know that it's not an easy thing to go through or even talk about for that matter, but there is an easier way to go about then I did. There are other options and you can make it through this drug free and happy and so can your unborn or born child. Now, I am not one of these NA people that go around just telling everyone, "Hey, you CAN stop, if you WANT to stop," or "when you're READY to stop you will." I don't know about ya'll but I was ready to stop when I got addicted! And when I found out I was pregnant I WANTED to stop, but I understand it's not that simple. I'm not knocking NA by no means, I got 3x's a week. I'm just saying as a mother, and an addict that the words don't mean much! I have been clean for 11 months now, I gave my mother temperory custody of my 3 children with the only option of getting them back was I complete rehab, and in 30 days get them back, with the exception that I go to NA at least 2x's a week and pass random drug tests for 2yrs. This may sound extreme but I had to do something extreme to be able to stop. I recently quit taking the suboxone about a month and a half ago. I feel great! I am on zoloft as well, and thats the only meds I will take. I did relapse at month 6. It wasn't pretty. But I'm back on track, I'm sober, my children are happier, and so am I. I wish you all the best of luck, and you can e-mail me anytime you need someone to talk to about anything at all.

P.S. I wish I could kick the cigs too!

hey all im wondering if subutex could have caused an abnormal chromosome in my unborn child? ive been on subs for almost 2 years now and recently found out i was pregnant. i miscarried at 8 weeks and the pathology tests showed that it was due to an abnormal chromosome in the fetus. i want to get pregnant again but im terrified of miscarrying again. does anyone know if sub can cause this? thanks.

Puglover wrote:

I hope I'm not replying to your post too late!

I just wanted to say that I am in my 28th week of pregnancy and I am taking 6mgs a day of Subutex. Like you I was on Suboxone maintainace for opiate abuse (Oxy's). One month into my Sub treatment I found out I was pregnant! I was a nervous wreck!!! My gut instinct was to stop taking the medication all together. I didn't want to harm my baby and after reading all the info online it scared me! However when I spoke to my Sub doctor AND my OBGYN they both insisted that I stay on the medication because the risk of withdrawl to the fetus could cause a miscarriage. I was switched over to Subutex from that point on. I guess they feel that the Naltraxon (sp?) that is in Suboxone may not be good for the baby. Subutex is just straight Bupenorphine without the opiate blocker naltraxon in it.

I've been on it now for as long as I've been pregnant and so far (knock on wood) everything is going well! I have excellent prenatal care and make sure to take care of myself in every other way. I quit smoking when I found out I was pregnant and I am eating right. I NEVER forget to take my prenatal vitamin and try to drink lots of water and excersie as much as I can.

I'm not sure if you opted to have the genetic screening done at 12 and 18 weeks, but when I went, it gave me a great sense of relief. Being able to see my baby on the ultrasound screen and having the doctor tell me that everything looked normal was a huge weight lifted off my chest! I spoke to the counsler there and she told me that she feels Subutex is actually LESS likely to cause Fetal Withdrawl than Methadone which is the standard drug used to treat pregnant women addicted to opiates. The LAST thing I want to do is put my child through withdrawl, but as sad as it sounds it's better to do it after they're born when they can be monitored by doctors than when they're inside you and can't be helped. Also with Subutex there is a good chance your baby won't experiance ANY withdrawl!!! Another piece of advice I was given when I was first going thru this like you was to not stress myself out....stress alone can harm your baby so try not to beat yourslef up over this! Be as calm and relaxed as possible!

I hope my story helped you in some way. I will say lots and lots of prayers for you and your unborn baby! If you need anything else.....more advice or just someone to talk to thru this stressful time, don't hesitate to write!

Good Luck to you and your baby!

Melissa :)

P.S. I know you mentioned Xanax use too. I don't have personal experiance with Xanax use in my pregnancy, but from what I've heard it probably isn't a good idea to take while your pregnant. I could be totally wrong though so your best bet is to check with your docs :)))

Ok so you have no idea what you are talking about. Sad to say but I have been on subutex and suboxone for years. Nothing to be proud of. Yes withdrawing from subs are bad, but taking them during pregnancy is not good. Its very very selfish. There aren't enough studies to prove that they aren't harmful to a fetus. So if you want your baby to be a guinea pig, go ahead.

First off, suboxone has naloxone in it, which is what EMT's use when someone is overdosing. It pulls all the drugs out of your system. Subutex itself is the opiate blocker. If you knew anything about this drug you would have known that.

A friend of mine took subs during her pregnancy and her baby came out with severe withdrawl. not good. No telling what kind of problems the baby will have later on in development because of this.

I have been weaning myself off the drug because its just not good to have to take a drug on a daily basis. I suffer from severe depression too. But I've been dealing. I just found out I am pregnant so now I am really getting off this stuff. Like I said I have been on it for 3 years. I am now down to a half of milligram. I am experiencing some withdraw symptoms, but nothing that can't be handled. So you guys better open your eyes, it only takes one doctor to give you the wrong advice and you and your baby will pay for it for the rest of your lives. Sometimes you have to think about it for yourself because doctor's do not always know whats best. Anything can happen, Good Luck!!

WOW!!!

First of all, I know plenty about this medication because I too was on it for over three years!!! I'm fully aware of what naltroxone is and what it does, but thank you for your insight! The point I was trying to make in my previous post from almost four years ago is that the subutex is naltroxone FREE....that's all!!! Secondly, who are you to come onto this board and judge anyone?! We're all entitled to our own decisions and to do whatever WE feel is best for our children!!! It's not selfish...and I certainly don't think I or anyone on here is using our child as a guinea pig!!! It's unfortunate that women have to make these difficult decision to begin with and the the LAST thing they need when they're already stressed out and worried is someone like you making them feel even more guilty or frightened!!! This message board is meant for support and guidance not judgementt!!!

When I wrote my original post I was 28 weeks pregnant and had been taking 6mgs of Subutex a day. I'm happy to report that my daughter was born on 3/13/07 weighing 6lbs 6oz and was 20" long! Not only was she perfectly healthy but she had NOT ON SYMPTOM OF WITHDRAWL....NOT ONE!!! I don't regret for ONE second my decision to stay on the medication!!! EVERY SINGLE doctor I saw during my pregnancy told me that it is FAR more dangerous to stop taking the medication (even tapering down slowly) than it is to take it throughout the duration of your pregnancy. They all told me I would risk miscarriage if I stopped or tapered! That wasn't something I was going to risk and if that makes me selfish, well than so be it!!! I thank GOD everyday for my little girl and don't know what I would do if she weren't here because I miscarried?! She is a happy, healthy, vibrant 4 year old!!! She started walking when she was 9 months old, talking in short sentences at 10 months old and reading when she was 3! She's been ahead in EVERY milestone since she was born! She has no behavioral problems to speak of other than that of a typical 4 year old and the teachers at her pre-school tell me she is one the brightest kids in the class! I'm not saying these things to brag but simply to give you insight into MY situation and MY experience which is all I can speak from! I'm sorry that your friends baby had a different experience, I truly am!

Listen, I think everyone has to do what is best for THEIR own personal situation and if tapering is what works for you well then I wish you the best of luck and I hope your baby is born as happy and as healthy as my daughter was and is!!! GOD BLESS!!!

pugsrule1974 wrote:

HaHa...I'm such an id**t!!! I thought these were two seperate posts!!! I didn't realize my original post was on page one of this post so I responded twice in the same thread! DUH! So sorry ladies....it's late here in CT! I guess that's a sign I should turn off the laptop and go to bed huh?! LOL!

Quote:

hi there im just replying to your message. i really think its great that you have a happy healthy 2 year old. i also take suboxone for withdrawl symtoms. i was addicted to whatever i could get my hands on! it was a horrible feeling. ithen found out i was pregnant at 5 weeks. my suboxone doctor wanted to hurry and get me off the drug. which really startled me. becouse i started to panic about the risk of being on the medication while being pregnant. i talked to my obgyn and he told me the oppisite to stay on but to reduce my millagrams. so thats what i did. i wish i could tell you ladies i have a happy healthy baby but i dont! i ended up losinng my son at 5 months he was a stillborn. BUT it was NOT becouse of the suboxone! it was from a hormone embalance. so i say to anyone questioning the medication suboxone it was a life savor for me and its better than staying on what you were on before! good luck to all the new mothers out there brandy from utah :)

I took subutex 8mg 3x a day with my son during the whole pregnancy and he was born healthy and a happy baby who is 9 months old. Subtex is the suboxone form for pregnant women.

I have a 7month old baby, I was on subaxone my whole pregnancy.. I did manage to cutt back from 16mlg a day to 1mlg a day by the 6th month.. I did deliver early at 35 weeks to a healthy 5lb baby girl. She needed no oxygen and was sent home with me 24hrs later. She never showed any signs of withdrawl. I did just recently find out she was near sighted and has to have glasses, and has a little bit of a develepmental delay. She is not reaching or grabbing for objects yet... but that could be caused due to her size (now only 13lbs). She had a catscan and everything is normal. She sees a physical therapist next week to help her catch up. I'm not sure if this delay or eyesight problem is caused my subaxone cuz there is no research to show it. I pray that she will catch up fine. I have terrible eyes myself tho..and have worn glasses since age 4, so there could possibly be a connection there.. any comments let me know! And just try to cutt back on the subaxone to your at 1mlg...and with that low a dosage your baby is almost certain not to have any withdrawls

i'm a little more at ease now from reading everyones posts. i'm 11 weeks pregnant & was taking xanax, roxi's, soma & percocet. i'm trying to stop the xanax, ive went from taking it everyday to every 3 days & still trying to ween off the painkillers. i wasnt sure if suboxone would be safe during pregnancy but i knew i couldnt just stop or the withdrawls could cause a miscarriage. now i feel more comfortable asking for suboxone to stop taking the painkillers.

I was just wondering if suboxone is what you were taking instead of subutex? I am 36 wks and the worry is really starting to set in since its almost time for my daughter. My obgyn has known I was takng suboxone since I first got pregnant but since I only take about 2mg a day he suggested I just quit! Anyone who has been addicted knows that its not as easy as just quitting. I've heard so much against it while pregnant that I am scared to death! Somebody please tell me if they were on suboxone while pregnant and if everything was okay, I am really stressing bad!!