I've been experiencing the same issue for a few years, probably 5 years if the truth be told. I've never coughed up blood, just the splattering of blood in my stool and toilet. I'm 39 and dont drink so much these days, although I do like a good blow-out every now and again.

Its only when I have a big drinking session or a few days of consecutive drinking that this problem arises and even then, I can tie it down to drinks high in gas or high in alcohol. I try to leave spirits alone, i.e vodka, whisky etc, but every once in a while, I will have a few vodka with OJ or JD and coke, combine this with 7 pints of strong cider and I'm poo'ing blood.

I suspect I did some damage to my stomach when I was in my 20's, with all the cider drinking I used to do. Is it possible I have damaged the lining in my stomach and excessive alcohol consumption or gasses that come with some of the drinks just aggravates an exisitng problem? I also wondered if I had stomach ulcers, which are aggravated by alcohol, but I don't experience any pain.

Unlike when I was in my 20's, now, when I do drink, I makesure I've had plenty to eat, as I believe drinking on a full stomach prevents the alcohol from directly attacking the stomach lining, the alcohol or some of it at least is absorbed by the food.

The same thing has happened to me in the past and today. Abouts for years ago I drank 1/2 of a bottle of rum, threw up bright red blood and then continued to drink the rest. (hardcore alchy).
Then, just today, (Relapse) I've been on a 3 day (whiskey/rum) drinking binge, after 5 months of sobriety and out of no where BAM!!! I've been throwing up dark red blood. I am scared to death yet I am still drinking even as we speak :-( What causes blood in my vomit?

must be something to do with food and digestion.
there is no pain.
i dont drink but have food issues and constipation.

comes and goes away on its own.
looking for answers as well.

I'm glad I found this post!  I've been a drinking for years with basically no ill effects except for falling down the stairs now and then. o.O

HOWEVER, the other night I went to poo and BLOOD came out! Lots of bright red BLOOD!  I about s**t myself - no pun intended.  I researched on the web and was sure it was colon cancer or Crohns disease.  However I found that if the blood is bright red it has to do with the lower digestive tract because it's not been affected by stomach acid.  If it's dark red it might be bad.  I do think it's hemorroids after what everyones said, but none the less I'm quitting drinking NOW, TODAY, do not pass go.  Do not collect 200 dollars.  I love drinking but the older you get the more side effects start to happen.  I'm done.  Anyone wanna join me?8-|       

Blood in my stool, intermittently for the past 4 years. I received colonoscopies and stomach xrays with no results. I say intermittently because it only happens after I drink beer. Ordinarily I will finish a 5th of Jack Daniels 2 or 3 times a week and i'll be fine. But if i switch to beer and drink only a six pack, i'll pass blood in the morning. some will be bright red, but the majority of it will be dark and thick. Takes two or three days for the blood to go away. A few months after this started I went 11months with out any alcohol, but with no change. 

Dark blood in the stool after beer, but not after lots of whiskey. The best advice that an army doctor could give was "don't drink beer".

There has never been any pain associated with this. I think I have have had hemorrhoids for 5 years. I say think because every report of hemorrhoids that i have heard involved pain but while i have the physical signs there has never been any pain. Colonoscopy showed no recent bleeding from hemorrhoids.

Damn POPUPS! :-@ 

Anyway, I read that EXTERNAL hemorrhoids are painful but internal ones sometimes aren't painful.  I just know that since I quit drinking on the 15th, I haven't had any more blood in my poo.  Here's an excerpt from a nurse that was helpful to me:

I am currently a nursing student and from what I am learning the cause is from portal hypertension which is related to cirrhosis of the liver. scar tissue makes the liver nodular and fibrosis. This obstructs the large amount of blood thaq normally circulates through the portal and hepatic veins.blood backs up into the liver and spleen and collateral circulation develops in response to the high portal pressure in the form of esophageal,abdominal and rectal varices (hemorrhoids).

Not only that but I talked to my cousin who is a nurse and she said rectal bleeding after drinking is NOT uncommon and it occurs more in MEN than women.  She didn't say why that was.  She also said alcohol DEFINATELY contributes to hemorrhoids.  I'm depending on what she said because I dont have any medical insurance and cant go to the doctor. :-|

Hope everyone here gets better.XD

Every so often after a serious drink binge i found red blood in the toilet water. Eating chillis and spicy food generally, was another bad habit of mine. I cut out the chilli and found that the alcahol was the cause. I then cut out the alcahol and found chillis to be a contributing factor. I did find that high acidity drinks ie. wine. cider etc are a no no. Occasionally i have a few beers and i marinate chopped chillis (without seeds) in olive oil, using the oil only, in food. The bleeding spells have stopped for me.

What works for me is not scientific, so my recommendation is that one has the necessary tests done. I passed all my medical tests but i won't touch the strong stuff again, that's for sure.

Hi there... This is kind of odd. I am a 24 year old girl with the same symptoms of you two. No pain, bright red blood, no hemroids, or anything. Just recently I've noticed I kind of have a burning feeling before it happens (blood) but I've thought oh just a stomach ache. Also I have heart burn or something, It's a burning right behind my bra... ALWAYS!

I have went to the doctor, then to the E.R. multiple of them because it would stop... There was nuthing to test, I tried another hospital just due to lower cost's. Then I was recomended to a gastrologist. The most unprofessional experience of my life. The doctor was young and careless. He was answering and making phone calls then putting them on speaker phone to chat DURING THE PROCEDURE! Crazy... But long story short, I was told he didn't see anything and I should be fine. No hemroids internal or out- Nuthing.

Originally I thought I was scheduled for a colonoscopy - when I got there they informed me it was similar but only half way?... I have no idea what to do - or which way to turn. I have told the doctors HEY I do drink... My mom died when I was 18 and ya... I've turned to the bottle a few times. I really would rather know what it is then ignore it!!! Still know one has told me anything serious in that department other than alcohol is bad for you period.

I don't have insurance and REALLY don't know what test to ask for or what to do... There should be more information on this. It's just to wierd that it's pushed off as nuthing... and you (above) had internal bleeding- and it sounds so much like my case... How to prevent it from going any further is a mystery... Or exactly what the problem is (?)

Thank you for your information above!!!

And the two people I was refering to were Marcy Place and Health related. They were the first two posts and very interesting.

lol. thanks for the answer. I guess I havent learned my lesson either.

I have the same condition here...Blood in the stool after heavy (even moderate) drinking. I go months without a drink, then binge for a couple weeks. Seeing the blood in the toilet scares the hell out of me.

We all know we should:
A) Consult a Doctor, and
B) Stop Drinking.

Bottom line is, blood in the stool is a warning that you are killing yourself with booze. I don't want to stop drinking...but I also don't want to stop breathing.

healthrelated wrote:

"There is no pain whatsoever. Not during the day, not when I use the restroom. Just runny stools and alot of blood. Bright, red, fresh-looking blood."

Marcy,

The more I think about your words, the more urgent I think it is that you get checked ASAP. At the very least, cut back majorly, if not entirely on the alcohol until you can in to see your doctor! You did say "alot of blood", and internal hemmorhoids should not be causing overly excessive bleeding, especially if your stools are runny.

Hemorrhoids may result from straining to move stool. Other contributing factors include pregnancy, aging, chronic constipation or diarrhea, and anal intercourse.

Alcohol increases the production of stomach acid.

Alcohol relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), allowing stomach contents to reflux back up into the esophagus.

WHEN THE LES RELAXES, IT CAUSES THE CONTRACTIONS THAT OCCUR WITH SWALLOWING TO BECOME ERRATIC. (THIS IS WHAT LED TO THE TEAR IN MY ESOPHAGUS & STOMACH WHICH LED TO THE PROFUSE BLEEDING. IT THEN TRIED TO EXIT MY BODY ANY WAY IT COULD! YOU CAN'T JUST HAVE ALL THAT BLOOD REMAIN IN YOUR STOMACH. IT'S GOTTA GO SOMEWHERE. OUT ONE END OR THE OTHER!)

Alcohol makes the esophagus more sensitive to stomach acid.

Alcohol can also lead to the development of peptic ulcers and interfere with the healing of ulcers already present. (Obviously, ulcers bleed as well.)

Have you already been checked by a doctor? IF NOT, PLEASE DO! Mention alcohol and erratic contractions of the LES. Your doctor SHOULD be well aware of this being a likely scenario for a heavy drinker. It's only a matter of time before excessive drinking catches up with you. It's convincing us drinkers that drinking IS the problem. We often struggle with the denial of it even past a couple of bleeding hemmorages!

I'm not trying to scare you or sound too preachy, but had I slept through what was going on with me, I could have very well died in my sleep. AND THAT'S NO LIE! It's only because my body was rejecting the excess blood loss with such force that I sought help in time.

Hey,about 4 or 5 yrs ago,age17, I had experienced very watery bloody bright red stools.It was alot in the toilet too.Did not hurt,but it scared me.It only happened like once or twice,but it went away.I still had streaks of bright red blood on toilet paper sometimes,itchy anus,when water touched it,it really stung.It's embarassing,but hey I need to know,is it possible that very runny bloody bright red stools is actually from hemmoroides because someone said that it is not normal to have that from hemmoroides.

MarcyPlace wrote:

I drink heavily several times per week. Usually 5 to 9 shots of high proof hard liquor. The next day I have really runny stools several times a day. Like 5 or 6 times per day. Lately, within, the last 5 months or so, there's a lot of blood when I use the restroom. Not in my stool, but in the toilet water itself. If I just sit there, blood will drip out. There is no pain whatsoever. Not during the day, not when I use the restroom. Just runny stools and alot of blood. Bright, red, fresh-looking blood.

Does anybody have any idea if this is connected with my alcohol comsumption? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi Marcy same problem its kind of scary is it cause of we like 2 drink i know if i could stop drinking it would proboly stop did u find out anthing 2 help us

Same thing has been happening to me as well. For me, it is definitely the drinking. In my 20's I used to drink a lot, then slowed down and now at 30 it may be once a month. But if it's liquor I'm drinking then the next day- BAM, bright red blood.