Hello everyone,

So this is something I have been wondering about for a very long time. I have had these ever since I can remember (I am 22 now and noticed them when I was about 12 or 13...they may have been there previously, but it was only around then that I started to actually really pay attention to what was going on down there, as I'm sure is the case with most women and young girls who are entering into their own bodies ('')). I've had them before I started having sex, before I started menstruating, basically before there was any chance of it being and STI so I have ruled that out as being a possibility. And just for the record, I do practice safe sex and I am a monogamous, sexually active person; I only sleep with one person at a time, and they are either my boyfriend or girlfriend. Also, I have ruled out the possibility of them being ingrown hairs because I have experienced them before, and they are one of the main reasons that I do NOT shave my pubic region. I tried it maybe 5 or 6 times in the past and due to their appearance on my body, despite using specialized shave creams and topical ointments and preventative medicines, they will still appear at some point or another and I have decided against the shaving of the pubes. Not just that, but I've always thought that people who are attracted to a bald pubic region have some pedophilic tendencies. And really, I just don't think that there is a sight more sexy to behold than a naked WOMAN; a woman with pubic hair, real breasts, and real curves. When you see it in movies, it's not the bald nether-regions that catch your eyes and attention; it's the "boobs and bush", as they would say in the ever-popular Knocked Up, haha. Trimming of said hair is a necessity though, at least for me. And that is a job best left to either a pair of scissors or a regular beard trimmer, with or without an attachment. Personally, I like to leave a cm or two of hair so that it is still visible and I can still "play with the fur" as I like to say, but short enough that it doesn't poke through my panties and I can still see the tattoo I have underneath.

Anyhow, there are lots and lots of small bumps around my labia majora and my clitoris (''). They are not painful, they aren't large or irritated, and they basically don't do anything. For the longest time, I thought it was just part of the normal texturing of the vagina and I'm still pretty convinced that that is case. They have never been larger than perhaps the size of a match head, but for the most part, they are all pretty small; maybe 1 mm in diameter and most are even smaller. Some will look like they are a little bit white, or more specifically with a bit of white something-or-other underneath but most just look like little, tiny, textured bumps in the skin. I know that the insides of our vaginas are bumpy and a little ridged and I've always assumed that what I see on the outside is just something very similar to that.

Every now and again, one will get a little larger than the others and it may get a little irritated and begin to hurt a little bit, at which point I will pop it and pimple-like pus will come out or sometimes it will make its exit from my body in a long, steady stream (? couldn't find a better word) like one of those annoying blackheads that never seems to end (such as the one so famously displayed to us all in the Jackass movie), and other times it will come out just like a pimple, with a little bit of oil and in a larger chunk with a little bit of blood if I push too hard. But I've never really been concerned about it because I have asked many of my friends, my sister, and mother, and they have all assured me that they have the same thing and that it is completely normal. As odd as it may seem to some, I have actually gotten the opportunity to look at, examine, and compare a few of the aforementioned vaginas and theirs (the bumps/pimples) look just like mine.

So basically, I am just looking for some sort of confirmation of this information, and perhaps an explanation as to why they are there and how they occur. I was thinking that perhaps it is just another way that our vaginas protect themselves? Or maybe it is something specific to my skin type? And how common is this? Do most women have this? Any kind of information or answers to this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much to you all and I hope your holidays were all as fantastic as mine!

P.S. To those who haven't seen it yet, GO SEE AVATAR IN 3D! WOW! What a film!

I don't think I was able to fully describe what it is that I am talking about so I took a picture and I figured I would post it on here. Though privacy is a very big concern for me, I'm hoping that in the medical context we are all speaking here, that I should be able to share this image and hopefully in doing so, it will help me find the answers to my questions and hopefully help other out there who may be experiencing the same thing:

All of those little bumps up near the top are what I am talking about. And they are all over my labia majora and have been with me for as long as I can remember. If anyone has any answers to this, please let me know. I have been searching this site for similar questions and though I have come close to finding others with the same thing, I don't think I have found any that are exactly what I am talking about. Most of the other posts I have found have been talking about isolated bumps or pimples or ones that have showed up suddenly as opposed to having been with them their whole life.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

It is completely normal. I have asked my vag doc about it and he assures me everyone has it. (:

Thank you for your post. I've had the exact same bumps since I can remember....like 11 or so.
They are the same color as my vagina, very very small, painless and don't do anything. I've had them from before I was sexually active.

I'm glad to hear that they're harmless although I figured that much. My doctor never mentions them during physicals.

But does everyone have them? If not, then why some of us only? What is the underlying factor??

yes i have them to! i was so worried few!

after reading this I felt so much better I've had then sense I was 11! so worried for ages to scared to say anything I'm 15 and not sexually active

Hey! I am 17 nearly 18 years old. I think i may have what you are describing apart from the face that it comes out like a black head. the only way i can describe it, it reminds me of an uncooked chicken skin ( sounds awful i know) but its around my labia and its like you said not on the actual pubic region. i wanted to know if this was like yours to see if im "normal" 

if you could please reply asap i would appreciate it so much, i dont want my sex drive to go seeing as my boyfriend and i have been together for a year now its suddenly really started to affect me. 

thank you so much, im 18 and i just randomly look/ feel down there to reassure that i dont have any stds, and i have been checked and im clear of them all. but when i saw and felt them i had to make sure that it was nothing, and im sure they have been there for a while, i just never really pay attention unless i shave!!!! but anywho! THANK YOU FOR GETTING THAT OFF MY MIND. (couldnt ask my mom cuz she always is like you have herpes, no IM CLEAR!!) LOL

Hiya! I've had mine since I was twelve! Soooo good to know its normal!

THANK YOU. THAT HELPED ME A LOT. IM 16 AND HAD SEX FROM MY 3 YEARS RELATIONSHIP WITH MY BOYFRIEND. I THOUGHT I WAS HAVING SOME KKIND OF DISEASE. 

LayshallI've Had Since I Was 12 and Im 15 Now , But I Just Wish I Could See What It Looks Like So I Can Be Completely Sure Its Normal. Maybe Im Just Paranoid But Im Just Trying To Be Syre I Havr The Lil Bunps But They're White Like Whiteheads And I Am Still A Virgin ,My Mom Said She Would Take Me See The Gyno But I Cant Let My Mom See If I Only Knew If mines Where Normals Too I Would Feel Better. Do You Think That They Are Different

They're called Fordyce spots and almost everyone has them.

I have these little bumps all down my vulva and all the way to the opening part of my vagina (hole) After I had my first baby they got bigger around my vaginal opening. I ask THREE Doctors and they all said they are normal and harmless and they might cause slight irritations(and they do ) caused my ovulation and period. Does anyone else experience this?

I think most people have them. I have loads, ive had them before i even knew what a vagina was. I dont think theyre anything to do with an sti, so you should be fine.