Having one of these now, I have them every month or so, I think I've had about ten so far. It starts with a deep pain in my chest, in the centre where the wires of a bra meet. This lasts for about 5 minutes before the teeth pain kicks in. It's always my bottom four incisors and it's not a normal tooth ache. It's really deep, like inside the teeth. I read somewhere that it could be a form of ischemia, which is related to a lack of blood supply. I'm generally healthy, although somewhat overweight - which is why the chest pain worries me so much! I've booked into the dentist in a couple of months (I can't find an NHS dentist in the city I've just moved to so have to go when I'm visiting my parents, hence the long wait!) so I'll ask him if he's heard of it before and let you know what he says.

Something else I thought of, this usually happens to me a few days before or after I get a bit of pain from my wisdom tooth.
Could the chest pain be referred pain (pain that shows up in a different location from the cause of the pain)? There isn't much room in my mouth for my wisdom tooth, so perhaps it is pushing against my other teeth - which would cause tooth ache (and then possibly referred pain). Does anyone else have problems with wisdom teeth?

Obviously we are not all crazy.  Pain is pain and when you have it you know it.  I too have a burning pain that starts in my chest and stays there for awhile before it works it's way up on the right side past the collar bone and into my neck.  It then continues to my back molars - most often the lower back.  It feels like a throbbing tooth ache.  Sometimes I can feel a bit light headed and clammy but I think that is due to the pain.  I'm not too sure what brings this on but the last time it happened I had been in a stressful conversation and then 5 minutes later it started.  It happens 4 - 5 times per year and lasts anywhere from 15 - 25 minutes.  I've tried drinking water, sucking on a peppermint to deep breathing.  I think it just takes it's course.  It is very interesting to see how many people have a similar situation.  Thank you for sharing.

I too have the chest pain followed by my teeth hurting like crazy.  the one time had had a couple of crackers near by and ate them and the pain left, maybe it is because our stomachs are completely empty i don't know but it good to see others with this problem.  good luck to everyone

Have the exact same symptoms, starting in the chest. Found out I had internal resorption in the back molar the pain radiated to. Had tooth extracted -- still get the pain deep in the socket months later.

Will go back to the dentist to see if it's healing and GP to check on an ulcer or GERD maybe. No idea.

All humans are supposed to rot out there last molars, and the wisdom teeth are supposed to impact, crack them(being the weakest/rotted teeth) and fill their gaps when they fall out by growing in sideways. During this time the person stinks a little bit but it was considered a second puberty.

But in todays western medicine, where privatized companies will do anything for a dollar... they will drill a hole in the rotted tooth, sterilize the canal and use a permanent filling to strengthen it. This keeps the rotting smell away and relieves all pain, allowing you to use the tooth. The problem then arises when your wisdom teeth get the signal that there is a f*cked up molar and they start impacting the tooth. However, a fixed-drilled/capped tooth is MUCH STRONGER than the rotten tooth your body thinks it is, so your wisdom teeth can't break it out. Instead, other teeth are pushed together and are at risk, so their answer? Take out the wisdom teeth... F*cking Western Medicine BULLSH*T!

So, in most root canals, they just open a hole in your tooth and stick sharp filing needles down your roots and basically scrape the sh*t out of ur nerves, pouring poison down there to kill it all. BUT, the truth is simple... THEY CANT ALWAYS GET EVERY BIT OF NERVE AND BACTERIA IN EVERY PATIENT IN EVERY ROOT CANAL... its a scientific impossibility. So in patients with odd shaped canals (as I have) the endotic surgeon will mark the canal they coulnd't perfectly fix and ask you to come back in 5 years before you start dying of infection. (but they leave out that last bit about dying) The unreachable area of the canal hosts millions of bacteria that stay trapped in your tooth. They go into the jaw and into YOUR BLOOD STREAM, this bacteria then attacks your f*cking heart!!! It is subtle since it is a small amount, and usually a healthy person can constantly maintain antibodies (swollen tonsils? only my right one stays swollen, been many years... so i know its autoimmune) when you sleep and your metabolism slows down... the bacteria attacks cardiac cells until it can be fought off in the blood stream naturally.

Some people are telling me, go get the tooth redone! IT COSTS 1000 DOLLARS THAT I DONT HAVE! And insurance does not cover a failed root canal! My parents think I'm crazy and don't support my theory even though I am going to be in medical school in a couple years. Also, I can pull the tooth for about 200 dollars, but the gap will cause my teeth to float apart over the years which will give me a million more complications. IF I KNEW THIS BEFORE HAND, I WOULD HAVE PULLED THE TOOTH AND LET MY WISDOM TEETH IMPACT, FILLING THE GAP NATURALLY!

If you have had a root canal a few years ago and that tooth now has a dull pain, AND you have a dull ache in the jaw AND occasional cardiac pain especially in the mornings when u just wake up... (u dont smoke/dont eat unhealthy/no risky behavior) you most likely have a bacterial infection!!!!! And because, the dentist does not know what a doctor knows and a doctor does not know what a dentist knows... YOU ARE F*CKED!

Yes, I have ruled out Lung Cancer, Sarcoidoisis, Hodgkins, STDs and a handful of expensive tests/imaging. So I have ruled out all fatal diseases. My last doctor says its auto-immune and its treatable. He wants me to visit an endontic surgeon and get a percussion test, multiple x-rays (top row, bottom row, and suspected tooth) and a report from the endontic specialist about the odd shape of that canal. I have an apt in mid July. Its been about 6 years living with this increasing chest pain and its gone from a monthly occurance to a weekly and now daily heart attack... well, not a heart attack but if you have it, you know what I mean. For most people, the tooth pain overpowers the chest pain strong enough for them to go fix it. But in my case, they did a good job of killing the main nerves in the canals but couldnt reach a small, hooked pocket of bacteria, so I can't feel tooth pain...save for a dull ache. BUT MY HEART AND TONSILS LETS ME KNOW SOMETHING ISNT RIGHT. Time for a change.

I am going to get mine either pulled or re-canaled this summer, and I will let you know the results.

I'm having the same issues however I just had a root canal last week. I'm on ammoxicillin and I had no previous chest pains.. I'm 21 and a smoker maybe that has something to do with it. called dentist and the scheduled me an appointment in 45 min. I'll let you kow how it goes.

I know this post is old but, I would like to tell everyone who is having a similar problem what I do... In my chest (right in the center, just below my breast) sometimes (once in a blue moon) get's a severe pain in it causing my lower back teeth to hurt also, if it last more than 5 minutes I will start to get a headache (I try not to let it go that long) What I do and what works for me to immediately cure the pain is take a Tums tablet (one or two of them) and drink a little water (a couple sips) with the Tums. I'm thinking that because this works perfectly on me that it's just some sort of heartburn. Maybe this will work for you as well..Try it, you never know... And, if it does. like MasterCard, don't leave home without it...

Was the name costochondritis? I was diagnoses with this after having similar symptoms minus the toothache.

bckground is red

It sounds like most of you are suffering from the same complaint as me. I suffer from Prinzmetal angina which presents as chest pain extending along my shoulder and jaw/tooth ache. When most people think of angina they think of heart problems, high cholesterol and heart attacks; but the definition of angina is simply- chest pain. Prinzmetal is most common in younger women and the pain occurs mainly at rest or at night. It's caused by a reduction of nitric oxide production in the myocardial epithelium and the cause is pretty much unexplained. Nitric oxides role in human physiology is as a dilator of muscle. So the pain you feel is the spasm as this muscle is not dilating fully. It's hard for a doctor to diagnose as there is no underlying cause and unless an angiogram is performed mid-spasm there is little really that can detect it. Now for the good news...it's completely harmless. Very annoying at night, but harmless. Most people don't require any treatment although it can be resolved by drug therapy such as nitrates or calcium channel blockers, but as with all drugs there are side effects of these and as there is no risk of permanent myocardial damage your doctor probably wouldn't prescribe anything. Hope this has helped- trust me, I'm a pharmacist.

i also have the same thing happen to me a few times, very scary but doc says the heart is fine but still none the wiser why it happens

I have been having the same problems for a year or so. The only pain I can relate this to is heart burn. Some time ago I took a course in sports massage and we covered a bit on deferred pain. I think that perhaps heart burn is somehow causing my teeth to feel pain also. As I know my teeth to be in good condition and it hurts on both side of my teeth I doubt that I need route canal. Chewing on regular heart burn tablets have stopped it for me.

I have had the same pain for years, starting in 2007. Mine radiates from my rib cage to my jaw and wisdom tooth. Sometimes I can't breathe. I have had 3 wisdom teeth extracted and recently this one that I have left is starting to push through again. Now, years ago it started to come through with the rest but then settled in a certain position and now, years later, it is coming through completely.

The pain that I feel is a burning radiation and it is localized on both sides of my ribcage, but radiates primarily up the right side of my jaw/mouth. Sometimes it is very difficult to breathe. I have never been tested nor told my doctor about this issue because I figured he wouldn't know the answer.

I am going to have the tooth removed and I will post again to see if the pain has gone away or returns. I get it approximately 2-3x a month. Thank you all for your advice and questions/answers. It has helped me think I'm not crazy!

I tried this and it made it worse than ever.