I am also trying to kick the habit for good. Have been smoking 21 yrs of my life, everyday.....I too experience the sleeplessness, the dreams that are vivd, and can remember them too. And when I go back to sleep, the same frigin dream takes over where it left off !!!! Sweaty palms with a nasty stench, irritable, anxious, mood swings, all that good stuff. Have NO appetite. Really makes you wonder if you SHOULD quit. But in the long run, (until it's legalized, which will be never), your health will be better off.

It's an addiction,......that's all. Find a hobby you enjoy, put models together, do some cleaning, some exercise, find things to do during the day you wouldn't normally be doing (probably cuz your tokin)

Good luck to all of you in your decision to kick the addiction !!!!

Hi I'm 31 and I've been a pot smoker for 17 years I did stop when I was 27 because I got locked up I thought that it was because of the prison stress that I was feeling like that ( all of the above symptoms) I was on federal supervised release for 2 years and couldnt wait to start smoking again. I smoked HAZE for 3 years since but recently pot started getting me paranoid so I stopped cold turkey and started getting PANIC attacks which really scared the Sh__ out of me. I had no Idea it was the weed, I even went to the doctor on my third day trembling he gave me a Xanax prescription for GAD but now that I realize it I'm having those same familiar feelings of when I was in jail Waking up in a soaked blanket Weird dreams etc.. I thought I was dying I've even been to the ER about 6 times where they checked me from head to toe, even gave me a CT scan because I thought I had a tumor causing this I got a clean bill of health and they told me I just had Anxiety Disorder but now I realize its the pot. thank you guys for putting my mind at ease. :-)

Hi guys .. i recently stopped cannabis after a good few year.. not sure exactly how many.. but i was pretty regualar.. only in the evening tho.. never morning/afternoon. I have quit for not sure if it is 3weeks or 4 weeks. i just remeber my last hit was on this day.. i didnt make the desicion to quit until 4 days ago i had a panic attack/anxiety attack.. My thought have been totally ***** up since then and i am very irritable and worried. I have started a detox program now and have made the decision to QUIT for good.. PLz post in how your recovery processes have been going or gone through..... any posts would be great for future people who indure similar problems that might not expect it. many thanks

**edited by moderator**

I have heard a lot of things. I've worked very closely with patients that use cannabis for pain control. Cannabis is a medication folks, not a recreational drug to be used on a daily basis unless you have a REAL reason to use it. Cancer qualifies. MS qualifies. Eye problems qualify. Extreme high blood pressure problems and seizures qualify. Lupus qualifies. Chronic pain qualifies. Stop using it for mental problems, it does not help unless you are ADHD. Your body will adapt to anything that you put in it and then "freak out" when you take it away whether it is food, soft drinks, coffee, or drugs, especially perscription ones. Not everyone one is the same and some people have different results. As with all medications, you must slowly stop. Don't cold turkey it if you can help it, your body goes into shock. Taper off and then quit. Don't replace with unhealthy habits! Take up a new hobby, start walking, listen to comedy, make goals for yourself. Small ones at first and larger ones later. As for sleep, I can guarentee results with natural methods and no herbs or teas. 1. Start moving. Go outside and get some air. Clean your house, join a gym, start swimming or just dance your ass off listening to music by yourself. After all day of running around you will welcome sleep. 2. Lose the weight. The heavier you are, the less you breath correctly. 3. Change your attitude. Make life happen, dream and dream big and go get it. (It really works) 4. Smile. Smile all the time, at people, in the mirror, driving down the street. You will glow and others notice bigtime! Stop feeling sorry for yourself, blaming your parents or others for bad things that happened to you. 5. Love yourself. Love the person you really are. Let others see that person and your whole life will change. 6. Be nice to yourself and others. Spoil yourself in little ways that makes you feel good to be alive. I use cannabis. For my illness it helps a lot but it is medication. Don't abuse it or use it if you don't really need it. Good Luck!

I have been smoking cannabis about once or twice a day for the past 14 years. I have quit several times, and always thought it was a good thing (clear head, more motivation, more energy, etc) until recently I have quit and am having severe withdrawl symptoms. The one that has had me the most concerned is night sweats. Every night i've been waking up sweaty and cold from being wet. I usually can fall right back asleep, but in the morning I don't feel as well rested as I should. I also have been getting the VIVID sometimes nightmare-ish dreams, that I REMEMBER (never happens when I smoke). And each time I wake/sleep, the dream picks right back up where it left off. Luckily I haven't been having too many problems with nausea, or mood swings, but I'm almost inclined to say that I would happily trade those symptoms for the sleep problems. After all, I love my sleep, which is one of the main reasons I became a cannabis user. I pretty much never smoke during the day, only in the evenings or before bed. I know that the symptoms will only last for about a week or two, but they can be quite agonizing while they exist. Just keep your thoughts focused on CONTROLLING your own life, and all will be good in the end. And remember, you are not alone.

yeah same iv lost like 4 stone or something in the last few months i smoke bud all day and as much as i can i grow my own stuff so its not really a financial problem but the sleepless nights and constant crave to get stoned all the time and its come to the point where i can smoke a 8th of really potent weed and not get stoned and then i want more and more and tend to smoke more untill i get high and then i just lay in bed and cant sleep no matter what i do im not physically unfit i exercise daily and run/walk everywhere all of my friends smoke bud, iv been smoking it since i was 13 and now im 17 nearly 18, thanks

Other than something like insomnia (I swear I'm actually half asleep now, I'm practically catatonic) it's hard for me to distinguish alot of my withdrawal from how grim and emotionless I felt like before I quit.
Its so refreshing to see others with the same sh*t going on. I've been smoking a tens (1/16oz) a day since I was 15 (right through the education that went completely tits up), and I'm now 18. Now 5 days in to a cold turkey detox (no weed, coffee, alcohol).
I feel like a zombie. I havn't slept properly for days. Not that I didn't before I quit, just the fact I was a stoner with a lot of anxiety/identity issues (I also did acid, speed, coke, ketamine, dxm, and endless amount of pills which gladly I kicked in the new year), was almost an excuse for me. I didn't have to communicate or express myself, have goals and motivation; because if I could make that awkward "safe, you got a draw?" phonecall thats all I had to do. I could go into my little bubble and the only worry on my mind was staying sane enough at work so I had a cash flow for this sh*t.
But now my brain feels like its actually connected again, it feels like there is too much damage to repair. EVER. I can't sleep right now. I havn't slept for days. 5 days sober and I'm no better. But the world's suddenly got so much more intense now I'm responsible for my actions again.
Smoking grade is just easier.
The real worlds a tough place and I'm far too insane to ever function in it again.
Am I going to quit quitting? NO. Am I sure why? NO. Will I ever get some real sleep? NO.
I've had all the sweats, the dreams, the irrational mood swings, moments of englightened clarity followed by breaking down my entire personality to a peon. I miss my dull, flat, somewhere-in-the-middle. Where it doesn't matter anyway.
You've just gotta bite the bullet. Anyones life is gonna be better without weed (even the friends of mine I so envy who seem to only get positives and get on with their lives fine regardless).
I suppose if you're reading this you were either gonna go one of two ways anyway - I'm sticking with quitting and I hope you do too. Workmate is bringing me a 'fix' (draw) in tomorrow, and I don't know whether I have the willpower to say no. This addiction is literally driving me insane.
The only useful, solid advice I can give to someone who is quitting, is to try write down your feelings so you know where you stand with your addiction and withdrawl, try make something positive out of it, and avoid caffeine like the f*****g plague.
My empty, growling but entirely un-hungry stomachs uber-metabolised one can of coke today. :|
Hope this helps someone, somewhere, even just as some *ahem* light 5am reading on your quest to sobriety and sanity :-)

Peace and Karma 8-|

Smoked daily for 7 years straight and decided to quit cold-turkey on Feb 10th, nearly 2 months ago.

Several days after quitting I experienced muscle pains, chest pains, stomach pains, insomnia (unable to stay asleep more than 3 hours every night), chills, sweaty hands and feet, anxiety and at times flu-like symptoms.

I had no idea my symptoms were related to marijuana withdrawal in any way and even went to the ER a couple times where they performed a bunch of tests. I had an EKG, chest-xrays, lung CT scan, lots of bloodwork but everything came back negative and said I had a clean bill of health.

I kept thinking that the doctors weren't checking me thoroughly enough and that I had some sort of severe illness like cancer or COPD undiagnosed.

Eventually I started thinking back that the time of onset of my symtpms coincides with when I quit smoking weed. Everything started making sense and finding this forum was a HUGE HUGE relief.

After nearly 2 months of non-smoking, most of the symptoms have dissapeared except for insomnia and the occasional stomach pains. I am still have problems getting deep sleep unless I take meds which I try not to. I have been using melatonin which isn't working that well. With that said I do get roughly 5-6 hrs/ night but I need atleast 7-8. The 5-6 hrs isn't deep sleep so I always wake up tired.

Waiting for the day where I can sleep for 8 hrs uninterrupted.

Hi, a question 4 u bcskunk. Well the physical symptoms are gone now, what about the phycological? Is the anxiety over? Do you ever feel depressed? For me i have been clean for 5 month, and i did feel better physicaly better around 2 and a half month after i quit, however i was anxtious for a while, now i feel like i am back to myself pretty much, did you experiance panic attacks? Thanks just comparing myself with others.

I had pretty bad anxiety and panic attacks the first month but after realizing they were due to weed withdrawal I was able to calm myself whenever I had them. I rarely experience them now - maybe mild anxiety every now and then but they get a little worse in public or around lots of people.

For myself it was more of the physical symptoms I was worried about as I seriously thought I had some sort of disease which the docs were unable to diagnose.

Do you consider yourself back to 100%? I assume you had problems with insomnia since its a very common symptom, how long did it last? Would be great if you can tell us a little more about your detox journey!

Looking forward to your response! Thanks!

With the anxiety, i had the same thing as you, they would be worst in public, where i would't even have them at all at home, however now they are pretty much gone. I did not have a lot of problems with insomnia, i would have vivid dreams, or would wake up in the middle of the night and then couldn't fall asleep for a few hours, it did not bother me as much as anxiety attacks, which i had no knoledge on. Also i used to take valerian root tablets, they made me relaxed and sleepy, they are herbal. Now i finally can say that i am 100% back to myself, it took me also to find a hobbie, like for me i started reading spiritual books and finding what makes ma happy. When i smoked i had no other interests but to come home after work and reward myself with getting high, where now i realized i wouldn't grow, i wouldn't use my talants or my time for anything important. Besides, i was more mean,moody and negative, where now i am learning the opposite. Good luck, we are fine, i think it's just a change in our lifes, that we can take in and turn it into a positive.

I have been smoking pot since I was 14 yrs old. I am now 28 & geting married this Oct.4 2008. We have both decided to stop smoking in hopes that after we get married we can start a family. We both hold down full time jobs but feel it is time to grow up & get on with life.
We have both been clean now for 4 days & I am very proud of both of us. I have tried to stop in the past but found it very hard. This time there is much more reason to stop then never B4.
I have felt like c**p for the last few days, can sleep, wake up driping wet, cant eat, very emotional (just the littest thing set me off)
After reading how everyone esle feels I dont feel so bad. I see that this is the natural cleansing process & I will make it through. I wish everyone the best of like on your new clean life.

My husband and I have been smoking pot for at least 5 years now. We have also been trying to get pregnant for 6 years. I have noticed in my husband some of the withdrawl symptoms that you have mentioned, when he comes home from work he has to go straight for the pot he isnt in the house more than 10 min and he has a pipe packed and ready to go. If he doesnt do this i notice right away that he is a real grump!!
I want to quit smoking because i feel it will help with us getting pregnant, but i know my hubby isnt ready to give it up yet. This will be by far one of my greatest challenges!! especially when im lacking the support from the husband. Any helpful hints as to how i can quit will be great!!
thanks!!!!!

I'm 28 years old and after 10 or 11 years of daily smoking, I too have decided it's time to stop and am currently experiencing these terrible withdrawal symptoms, but I'm so glad to have read what others have written about their own experiences...it definitely helps me to feel like I'm not alone. I feel like I'm lost, as now I don't have my crutch to ease life's troubles, and along with the insomnia, restlessness, and anxiety, I now feel like I have this huge void to fill in. I also realize that I'm going to need to change my environment if I want to successfully stay sober, which means distancing myself from people and places where there is weed. That part has been very hard and depressing, but hopefully I'll be able to find other sober people to spend time with, as well as maybe some new hobbies to involve myself with. I'm going on 3 weeks now without it, and I just hope to god that it gets easier. I just try to remember why I'm stopping...for instance, the fact that it's probably the main reason my last relationship went to sh*t, and the fact that I don't feel like I've progressed in my life at all since my late teens. Good luck everyone!!

I'm 22 years old and have been smoking pot daily since i was 14....I too and quitting and I'm on night number one and so far all i've had is sweating and tossing and turning and un able to sleep at all....not even a wink....i think i may have gotten 5 minutes in there and woke up halfway drenched in sweat....im typing this now as im frustrated with tryin to sleep and have started stuffing my face =]

As for anxiety and irratibility, i havent expierenced any of that yet. Just un able to sleep which is annoying enough, so im hoping it just stays with that