Hey All,

I am on a personal mission to beat this insomnia withdrawal. I've read most of the posts and I've heard it took one 5 months to overcome.

I have smoked weed on and off for 8 years and have been addicted to all sorts of drugs along the way but have quit them all, marijuana included. My life and surrounding has changed and from there I have a great source of will power so I am pretty good at abstaining from things once I put my mind to it. I applaud everyone for their attempts to steer clear of what was obviously an innocent dupe for twisted mob mentality - "Drugs are OK! They are Harmless! At least weed!" Sure buddies. Moderation is hard to achieve when you are either an addictive personality or unprepared for an addictive (physiologically or physically) substance. I know you people who quit, or are trying to quit, or want to quit cigarettes understand that.

I was addicted to meth (last streak was for 1.5 yrs) and subsequently quit that along with pot (on and off during my last 8 years, as much as 6-8 months straight, day to week breaks in between) and from this hell changed my life. I was having a great 8-month run -with my confidence up (from having quit my addictions successfully without relapse-to-date), I was exercising regularly, changed my diet (no more McDonald's!), lost 20 lbs (down to 165, more normal for me), did absolutely no drugs except drink OCCASSIONALLY (once or twice a week, 5-8 beers). It was during this time I decided I wanted to make the normal or good times even better by smoking pot along with it. Keep in mind that before this, I had no problems with insomnia (if I did I attributed it to meth withdrawal I suppose) and never had insomnia from marijuana withdrawal before (deceiving actually, and will lead to my ultimate conclusions at the end).

About 3 months ago, I started smoking pot every other day for two weeks moderately, usually before going to bed as that is the only time I have. I noticed when I stopped for a couple weeks afterwards that I had trouble falling asleep and more importantly STAYING asleep for the following 5 days after I stopped. This turned into 7 days the next streak I went on smoking pot, which surprised me as now the cost of smoking pot and stopping increased. The last time I started smoking again, my overall zest for life that I had developed over the past year began to dissipate, and I began to smoke everyday this time for about 2-3 weeks straight, again usually at night but also in daytime during the weekends. It's currently been three weeks and still have insomnia, very vivid dreams, wake up sweating, and have difficulty keeping a positive mood as my overall health has gone down (and depression has set in) thanks to poor sleep.

This is my current status, if you've read this much:
Insomnia (trouble falling asleep for 1 week, trouble staying asleep persistent for the past 3 weeks and absolute hell I tell you)
Depression (onset during my pot use, substantiated by poor sleep as a symptom of pot withdrawal)
Appetite (all over the place, but I am able to keep it within reason)
Exercise (30min-1hr every other day from running to lifting weights)

I've read somewhere that one person beat the insomnia after 5 months. At this point, I am at so much odds and ends with this withdrawal thing. I am pulling hairs, very irritable to the point that I am losing ground with friends and co-workers, and have zero motivation to keep on doing what I am doing. I have tried sleeping meds like Lunesta (prescription) and the OTC ones alike. I have slight sleep-apnea which forces me to sleep on my side, but neither of these meds allow me to reach REM or a deep sleep state. They do help in getting me to sleep but 4 hours in, 6 hours in, and 7 hours in I wake up (and can't fall back asleep until the 8th hour of sleep). I generally sleep by 11 and wake up by 7 but this is the interesting thing I noticed. I have tested SLEEPING IN, and if I am allowed to, I reach REM at the 8th hour of sleep. Also tested this during weekends, and this helps me get my sanity back so I would recommend people to try to sleep 9-10 hours to get than 1-2 hr of deep sleep towards the end. Still though, this is definitely too hard to do on a 8-5 schedule and ALSO I tried going to bed an hour earlier to b ring that deep sleep an hour earlier but it doesn't work (weird huh).

At this point, I think it is important not to rule out depression as a source or plays an important part in insomnia as they often come hand in hand and am interested in finding anyone who has tried anti-depressants to combat marijuana withdrawal and insomnia symptoms. Working on dopamine and inducing a sleep-like state (opoid-like), Marijuana is likely to cause a chemical imbalance and rob you of what you need to get sound rest sober. Sort of like you're using the same stuff you use to sleep, while you are high.

I have been smoking almost everyday for 20 years. On nights when I do not smoke I have a relaxing herbal tea like chamomille then take a melatonin pill and it night night. The melatonin totally does the charm. It helps reset that internal sleep regulator in the brain. The herbal tea is just for relaxation. I have spent many a night tossing and turning. Sweating and nightmares too. Don't let a thing like not smoking interupt you sleep. It will help with your depression also. I have not quit smoking, but I have cut down to one toke from a one-hitter a night. Sometimes I wonder why I still bother.

I have been readong the above comments regarding the withdrawl from marijuana, especially in relation to sleep. I have successfully quit on 2 occassions for 6 months each time and feel I have some good advice regarding being able to sleep normally again. The 1st thing is that if you smoke weed before you go to sleep, you don't actually sleep, you pass out. Even though your mind may have switched off thanks to the weed, your body is still behaving as if it was awake. Therefore you're not getting the REM sleep required to have a clear head the next day. What you're experiencing when you stop smoking weed is actually a combination of things, the 1st is your body has to learn to go to sleep by itself again, the 2nd is becuase you haven't been getting REM sleep for however many years, you have an overwhelming feeling of overtiredness which actually makes it even harder to go to sleep. During this period sleep is going to be very disturbed. You'll experience cold sweats, nightmares, a blur between your dream state and reality. Ironically reality feels like the most surreal thing of all!

And always remember this: Drug abuse is normally a symptom of a psychological imbalance such as depression, manic depression or biplar disorder, so if you want to realy quit it's worth investing in some counselling as it can help tackle the issues which made you start smoking pot in the 1st place.

So here's the advice to make it easier for you when the withdrawl kicks in:

Accept the fact it's going to happen.

It will feel like you are incredibly sick when you experience withdrawl, so treat it like you have the flu, like the flu you just have to let it pass.

The time that you spent smoking weed, do something positive in it's place.

Do everything you can to exhaust yourself (physical exercise, puzzles and mind distractors)

It takes 5 weeks to create a habit so after 5 weeks clean, make sure you reward yourself with something positive (it can't all be negative).

Go to local NA meetings or seek counselling for support

Get rid of all the people in your life that you associate smoking pot around, even if it's family.

Delete all numbers of dealers and people who have contact with dealers.

Withdrawal is all about replacing an artificial chemical with a natural one. It will take the body time to recreate the balance but if you really want to quit and are positive IT WILL HAPPEN.

if you're having problems sleeping, try melatonin. legal, easy to obtain supplement that your brain naturally releases at night. normally used for jet lag, etc. it can help reset your circadian rhythms so you can sleep without smoking at night. it works for me most of the time, but the first couple days are always the worst.

Ive been smoking four 4 years and am quiting now. i went 13 days with out the smoke hung around some old friend that came from out
of town and hit the blunt :-( that was sundtomaay, Monday i had to start all over disappointing but i feel like any progress is better then non not to say its okay to hit the blunt every once and a while but. its 12:16am and i am up now insomnia is definitely a withdrawal symptom. so is upset stomach,loss of appetite, mood sings and depression i try to stay focused on my goal but as you guys know weed is on the mind all the time! i stay busy buy working out playing X-box(grand theft IV) and reading to stimulate the mind if anyone want to chat just reply i have questions and also answers GOOD LUCK!

valerian root!!! herbal teas!!! im on day 13 right now too!! havent smoked yet! im still an imsomniac. and my appetite has yet to come back all the way. the anxiety is tapering away slowly but surely. that was my biggest issue! now im getting better and better. No more weed for me. ive posted things throughout and ppl have actually been helpful on here i love it. i dont have anyone around me that understands they just think im freakin crazy and switched drugs(speed). assholes

Hi there, can you tell me wher eyou can pick up valerian root? Have you tried ambien or other sleeping pills to help you sleep or are you sticking with natural solutions? Where do you get it again? Let me know. Thanks!

Hey vangie, glad to hear that things are giong well for you. Can you please tell me how you're doing? I'd like an update if you can tell us. Thanks :-)

I am 22 and have smoked pot to escape a troubled childhood. I smoked pot on a regular basis since I was 14. I have been sober for about three weeks because I started having anxiety attacks when I was high. Now I still have anxiety, sweaty palms and feet, nervousness in public, the scared feeling that I am going to black out, the feeling that life is "weird" I am scared that life is always going to be this way!I hate being in my own skin will this ever end???? :-(

I've been smoking pot heavy for about 6-7 years. Im 20 years old and began smoking around 13-14 - this is my 2nd day off weed. ( not much, but working at it ) I would usually close to 10 bowls a day - from Morning to Sleep...

Well i've found I'm having a very hard time falling asleep and staying asleep, I also find myself waking up to my body sweating, My palms have been sweaty constantly since i quit. Also my appetite has lowered as i can tell too.

this is tough...

Hey, I have undergone the same symptoms.Though i only smoked for 2 years but got so much hooked to it that rest everything lost its relevance. I used to be high 24*7, and after i left it, i actually could not. All these symptoms were there but the thing that hurt me the most was the guilt after smoking. Two years back i quit the habit of smoking daily and it became on fortnightly basis but still i felt that i need the high once in a while and cant get away from it for a long time. So i made up my mind and decided to call it quits forever and to my surprise i did it. I dint smoke for 8 long months without feeling the need (except sometimes, when i played World of Warcraft & DDO) until yesterday. I smoked a joint with a friend and got stoned. I got so confused with everything and i behaved a little weirdly at home. Now the mount guilt is high as ever as i was already wasting my time for long now. I think the best way to get away with the guilt is to make a promise to yourself and stick to it, & of course let the time pass by. I wish luck to all to do away with marijuana smoking (I like it and i like the hang but if i have to maintain my career and social life then its for the best to leave it)......Boom Shankar !!!

I've been smoking amost every single day for the last 14 years. I was maried for two years and my wife had no idea that I'd been smoking virtually everyday. I openly smoked during the time we were dating, but after a few years she demanded that i quit and "have a normal adult life". I never quit - I just lied to her and eventually I became overcome with guilt everytime I would smoke and I knew it was time to quit. Easier said than done. I've failed a number of times, but I think I'm finally there. My biggest fear, that I've not heard anyone else mention, is getting lung cancer!!!

I smoked when I got up in the morning before work ...I smoked during the day ....I smoked in the evening before my wife would come home from work. To hide the smell, I would eat like a pig and have a beer or two. It had become a VERY sick routine. I became a master of hiding it from everyone. I've taken trips all over the world and taken weed with me out of fear for not being able to get some wherever it was I was going. I look back and know how lucky I am for never getting into trouble with the law. I took 10 grams to China for Christ Sake! What a fu***** id**t.

I started to enjoy great success in my career despite my weed use, but like all of you reading this forum - I was simply lying to myself thinking I was better with it than without. Now that I've quit, I realize how much greater I could have been the whole time. Weed does not improve life. Some people can use it recreationally here and there .....but I've never been able to do it as I suspect most of you feel the same.

The worst part about quitting for me was the sleep deprivation. Everyone has a different bio chemistry and therefore it will take different amounts of time for for each individual to return to normal. If you're still experiencing symptoms even after months - just stick with it ...it will pass if you stay strong. I promise. What always helps me is to remember how amazing the world was as a child ....life was so pure at that time in life and there's no reason we can't find that wonderment again despite all of the negative things about the world we know as adults.

If you're on this site, then you truly care about yourself. Keep on trying, no matter how long it takes and you will succeed. YOU'RE NOT ALONE AND YOU CAN DO IT!!

Thank God I found this post. Some of you seem like you're speaking from inside my head. I've quit pot many times in the past, but I really smoked heavily this past spell...and I was super productive the entire time. I saw it as nothing but a good thing for a while...until I realized I haven't dated for over a year. And I'm not a bad looking guy, nor am I normally shy around women...but I had become so.

I've been off for 10 days and this insomnia is torturous. But now that I know what I'm dealing with I'm just going to watch movies I haven't seen and keep my mind occupied to push through.

Thank you all. You have made me feel so much better.

I am trying to quit now, was looking around for inspiration I know what I need to do but just cant seem to do it. I really hate myself, I feel ready to do something I have never even contemplated it before so I know I am getting somewhere. smoked 8th a day for 16 years sometimes more and these last 4 hours are the longest I have ever gone without weed when alone. Its 2am here and I cant sleep doesnt look good for the next few weeks but i need to do it. I am a mess paranoid,lethargic, and forgetful. but I long for a day when I dont look at weed as my lunch. its gonna be a long hard slog that I dont think I am menytally ready for.

THIS WILL HELP YOU

If you are trying to quit smoking marijuana, the first thing you should do is a cleanse. They sell cleanses at head shops and they're all over the internet. The physical withdraw will go a lot faster with the majority of the THC out of your fat cells. Just think about this - a chronic smoker can take a couple months if not more to naturally get rid of all the THC in your system; a cleanse usually takes about a week to 2 weeks.