I have also quit weed 2 weeks ago. I wanted to give my advice/experience on not sleeping, cold sweats, wierd dreams.. I have gone without weed a few times for up to a month (not by choice..I was travelling and couldnt get on) and I found that excercise is the only answer if you are anti sleeping pills (they bring the same c**p to your life as weed). Excercise and a healthy diet including lots of water and no coffee does wonders. I am currently suffering from anxiety but luckily have gotten over the sleepless nights by excercising and eating properly. Hope this helps. PS I still have wierd dreams but I find them interesting after going so long not remembering my dreams :-)

I'm familiar with a lot of your symptoms. From the worst nightmares and panic to just being bored and restless.

Regardless of the symptoms you're looking at about 7 days of the hard stuff.... 14 for things really to start calming down... and 30 days to be done.

Eventually the cravings will go away and you'll be excited and energetic during the day. At times you'll probably feel self-conscious about your new behavior but you'll start to like it.

Once you're able to sleep well the morning will start feeling great. Especially for you night time heavy smokers. That morning fog and heavy feeling is gone. You'll be able to get up and start your day wanting to do things - Wanting to get showered and get out. You're suffering now but you can look forward to this. Use it as something to look forward to.

Determined1 is right - exercise is key... and there is a secret there. You've heard people putting pot in butter to make brownies - its because the chemicals that make you feel high are able to be soaked up by fat (speaking in laymen terms).
When you work your muscles and burn fat you begin to process toxins that are fat-soluble (like pot). Go out and really get a hard sweat going for as long as you can (5 minutes isn't enough but its a start) and cool off with a few big glasses of water and you'll flush these toxins out... and in the meantime give your head a little buzz without introducing any new toxins (from pot) into your system. It will really help get you through this. It will also make your body more willing to shut down for sleep. Plus you get all the great normal brain chemicals like adrenaline and endorphins when you work out which help with your exercise buzz.

Also stay busy and stay out. I know its not easy - especially if you don't have anything to do because you've been spending your time sitting at home baked. Even if you're just wandering around a store or sitting at a friend's house - do something. Its the hardest thing - but you and i both know you can force yourself to do it.

Don't try to quit anything else. Don't quit smoking cigarettes. Don't quit drinking. Don't quit medications. Don't go on a diet. Focus on getting through one thing - its hard enough quitting pot - once you're done quitting this then you can move on to the next. You're already going to feel unstable. Don't make it worse.

Tell your someone what you're doing. Ask someone if they'll take a few days and help you stay busy - even if its just sitting at their house. If you don't have someone that will just give up their time - offer to help them clean if you can just hang out at their house - offer to cook them dinner if you can sit on the couch after and just hang out till they need to go to bed. Let them know that you're not just bored - you need their help getting healthy.

There aren't many things you can really true guarantee in life... but there is one in this situation.

I can 100% promise you that no matter who you are or what you do or why your quitting or anything - every single day that goes by - it will get easier. There is no way it can't. At first as you begin to detox it will seem like things are getting worse cause you're starting to feel the withdraws... but that is usually only 2-3 days. As soon as you have that one day or hour or minute where you finally feel a tad bit better - even if its for a flash of a second - you know that you can count on tomorrow being better. Your body will have flushed just a little more out - Your brain will be just a little more comfortable - You will be just a little bit better. Look forward to it.

When you can't sleep just lay there and tell yourself - when I get to sleep - I may have a bad dream - I may wake up in the middle - But tomorrow... when I wake up for the day... I'll be one more day closer... a little bit better. Look forward to it - You're doing something hard with a big pay off at the end - remind yourself of that - you're doing something - the good sleep and the good days are coming.

I'm sitting here right now wide awake at 4am sweating my ass off cause this is the time where I'd be highest for the day but I know that when I finally get to sleep I'll be one day closer. I'll be one day healthier. I'll be one day happier.... and when the days start to get better - i'll have just a little bit more cash to blow on lunch or some music or a new shirt or whatever I want.

If you find yourself with another hit in your lungs - fine - you smoked again - but that doesn't give you any more reason to keep smoking. Just tell yourself "Ok so I smoked again - but I don't have to smoke again tomorrow - I didn't blow anything - I'm still ahead of where I was before I quit" and you're really telling yourself the truth.

and most of all don't try to quit cold turkey unless instructed by a doctor or forced by the law. Ween yourself and it will make the process a lot easier. Have someone dole it out to you daily - a little less each day.

but if you're gonna quit cold turkey know that you can still make it.

I'm 35 years old, been smoking pot on a regular basis since I was 15, I have a 16 year old son who unfortunatly also took up the habit and quit a little over a year ago. We have both experienced "Night terrors/Flashback" from our life with my alcoholic ex husband, my son has been medicated for these dreams and has been diagnosed with PTSD due to his visions and other events when awake, as for me, every night I get restless legs and when and if I fianlly CAN fall asleep, everything that I was ever afraid of comes back to me. In the last year, I have been put on various medications for anxiety and stress as I have suffered panic attacks and a full on nervous breakdown from event's in my life, my job, etc. I was using pot as a sedetive to calm me down because of all the side effects the other meds they had me on (i.e. nausea, vomitting, insomnia). It all felt so unnatural, so I just did what I knew. In the last 5 weeks, I have been pot free and have every intention of staying that way as I am embarking on a new life and want to put my addiction as well as my past behind me; HOWEVER- I can't take the nightmares. They are too vivid. I see now what my son was talking about when he'd complain of recurring nightmares and sleeplessness; I'm horrified that he had been MEDICATED for this now that I'm experiencing it myself. I have tried tea, saratonin, Rx meditation, Tylenol PM, sleeping pills (Ambien, Lunesta -which makes your mouth taste like you sucked on a battery all night long), other medication like Vicodin and Percoset (a liast ditch effort)- and found that I was desperatly trying to leave one addiction by simply creating another. THIS IS NOT MY INTENTION, I WANT TO BE SOBER!!! My son told me last week he hadn't had his "Dream" in a long time, like over a week... this gave me hope for myself that maybe the simpleness of TIME is the cure; they do say it heals ALL, right? Although the nightmares are just that, NIGHTMARES, it seems as if my brain is simply processing all I have shut out in fast forward since I was stifling it all for so long. Unfortunately, my journey was a rough one, as was my sons, so when I say these dreams of ours are unpleasent, I'm being as gentle as I can. To be quite honest, I went to bed at about midnight last night and slept through the night only to wake myself up screaming this morning from the dream I was having. I can't function like this. I, like the rest of you found myself researching, looking for guidence and support to my situation as my desire is to FINALLY live a full, drug free life; and that surpasses's all other things. I'd like to commend everyone who commented here on your efforts to do the same and wish you all the best in your road to sobriety; (remember whn they told us it wasn't addictive? Yeah, ok... right). However, I need to find a chat room or an outlet to get feedback for people like me, I need support, LIVE support for when I wake up sweating or screaming or my legs keep me up... I'm often afraid to even try to sleep anymore because of the frustration and emotional pain it brings... so I'm asking, does anyone know of a chat site, website or support league that I can access online, 24/7 to remind me that I'm not on my own? Any information will help.

Good luck to you all..... my prayers are with you and you're making the RIGHT decision. Life is a beautiful thing; let none of us waste another day to addiciton! Stay strong!

Ahhhh..this is my 3rd day off pot after smoking for 34 years. It used to be so easy for me to stop. When I was younger, I was a professional driver and had to quit as I was randomly tested. I remember it was no big deal. Now at 51, I know it will be a killer. I tried to quit a month ago, but got extremely aggitated and restless and got to the point of snapping at a family member. I felt bad after, apologized, and came clean about why I was acting differently. I confessed all breaking down many times in uncontrolled crying and self pity. It was embarassing for me to be seen loosing it like that. The result...I went back to smoking and all the bad that comes with it like sitting at home alone, no communication with friends (the phone hasn't rung for weeks), eating uncontrollably and just sitting at my desk at work with no ambition to do anything. I'm determined this time to ride the detox out. I so want to be free of this and get back to having fun and having cash in the bank. I've read that a combination of vitamins like St. Johns Wort, Vitamin B-12 and Vitamin C help. I will let you know. Good luck everyone!

Im 30 years old smoked for 15 very heavily every day all day and some of the best weed out there i quit smokin cause i was having breathing problems started weezing evry now and then last time i smoked i had a panic attack first one ever i guess i was paniking about my breathing problems thinking i had probably lung cancer so i felt i was going to die.So i said thats it im done with weed my first month wosnt as bad i guess i still had some in body or something my second month was a nightmare anxiaty attacks, panic attacks,not hungry couldnt sleep cold sweats at night fatigue and a emotional roller coaster my third month things got better mostly mind tricks. my fourth month felt a lot better but now im at the end of my 5th month and a started getting anxiaty,fatigue,and emotional distress so tired of feeling all those symptoms i started smoking again,but its not making me feel any better so the hell with it. so i stoped again ive gone to the er about 6 times cant find nothing wrong with me and im going crazy i keep wishing and praying for the day that il be back to be my normal self im so depressed

I quit about 9 month ago, and also for the firs 6 month it was bad, panic attacks, emotional stress, just really bad time, just want to tell you that it does get better on its own, it just takes time. If you went back to smoking, it might help, but I was getting panic attacks while I was high, thats the reason why I quit. What helped me was exercise (daily), reading about anxiety and how yo cope with it, valerian root, I would take it when it was really bad, and vitamin b complex.... Good Luck

From my own experience, if I smoke a large amount for 1-2weeks+, I will have very strong withdrawals. I'll have anxiety attacks, nausea, vomiting, depression(or mania), and insomnia. To sum it up, I basically experience the opposite effects to the marijuana high. This will last for 3-5 days, and my heart rate will usually be around 120 bpm for those few days.
I usually try to prepare meal replacement shakes so that I can get my proper nourishment when my appetite is completely gone, and I constantly feel the urge to vomit.

I would try to extinguish this HUGE burst of energy by running. This greatly helps with my appetite and anxiety. This also greatly shortens the onset of the withdrawals.

If you're lazy, I find that diphenhydramine, or benadryl, an OTC allergy relief or sleep aid medication greatly aids in toning down the withdrawals. It relaxes the body, helps me sleep and helps me gain back some appetite.

Lastly, I'd like to say that dependence for marijuana is psychological. I brought it upon myself when I always had the attitude that I had to smoke some before eat, sleep, or for many other activities. Therefore, I slowly was unable to do any of those without the weed. In fact, I had to smoke just to feel normal.

I went back to smoking occaisionally, but kept myself from having those thought patterns, and I hardly get any withdrawals anymore.

When weed becomes the only thing that can activate the reward centers of your brain, you're going to be in a world of hurt when you don't have it anymore. But if you have plenty of other things that can activate it, it'll greatly lessen the withdrawals.

Thanks for all the insite! I've smoked everyday all day for the last 13yrs and finally have decided to quit. It's been 3 long weeks and staying stong. After reading all the comments Idon't feel alone any more. Outside from the above I have been getting the tinglies and hot flashes and loss of energy. How come when you quit you lose energy? Shoudent it be the opposite? anybody know an erbal remady? thank you

As being a current pot smoker who quit for 3 years let me assure you that everything your wexperiencing is normal. The sleeplessness should subside within a month and your appetite should be fine by then too. The hardest part for me was that everything i did, i did stoned so nothing thatI could do would satisfy me. Non stoned life seemed so boring. If you get that, which is pretty common, it should gradually go away too. You gave your body a chemical everyday for numerous years, withdrawl effects are to be expected. Things will get better, just stay strong and keep saying no. Marijuana addiction is all in your head, unlike other drugs such as alchohol or cocaine, and if you truely understand tha, then you will have no problem

Ive gone almost 3 weeks not smoking weed since doin it for like about a year almost everyday. While i was smoking i hardly got any dreams but my sleep was the greastest. I wonder why you dont dream when smokin but n how come you do when not using it. Since i wasnt smoking ive gotten dreams that i think to myself and like i havebt had dreams it a while. But ive ha hard times sleepin like insomina. But ive been in such great shape and eating healthy ive lost 5 pounds since i dnt have muchies. I miss smoking n ill be doin it soon cuz it helps me with stress. Also a goos sleep aide while not smoking weed in tylanol pm take 3.

I have smoked marijuana for 20 yrs. and I don't want to quit but I have not smoked in 48 hours. I have all the symptoms as the others but I also have body tremors, depression, sever anger , throwing up. I take herbals like Valerian root to help but it is not working much. Is there help for me? How long will I fell like this?

Thanks for posting all your experiences, it helps to read them.

I'm 27 I've been smoking weed regularly since 22 or 23 but I stopped about a week or two ago, haven't been counting days or anything since I didn't really intend to stop smoking but I've just really needed the money for other more important things. I'm trying to rebuild a sports car I bought which for me is a really good reason, especially since losing my last car I'm driving around in a beat up peice of junk that makes me feel bad.

Anyhow, Ive noticed the return of vivid dreams. I remember from before I started smoking I always had very vivid dreams that I can recall the next morning in great detail for maybe 10-20 minutes and then it fades from memory, except the reoccuring ones. That's back and I like it actually, Ive never had a nightmare I don't think... waking up very frustrated or annoyed with someone is about as bad as it gets there.

The problem I'm having is getting to sleep in the first place, especially tonight.. I've gotten to the point now where my head feels clear, which also feels good. It's nice not to need half an hour just for my brain to wake up in the morning but on the other hand.. I remember one of the big reasons I started... I can't sleep.

I never did like sleeping pills since you get the same effects, in terms of grogginess the next day they could well be worse than weed.

Since I haven't smoked in at least a week maybe two I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't go back.. it's getting less accessible and the only contact I have keeps jacking the price and lowering the quantities so I don't want to go back to him on principal anyway.

I need to find a way to sleep though, it's impossible to work like this. Anyone got suggestions of what worked for them?

I hear good things about exercising but I already know I can't be arsed running around the block at night and my partner would just accuse me of cheating if I try leave the house anyway... I probably should get out of that situation too but thats another matter entirely.

I quit last night, and am having to do muscle relaxers and tylenol pm to sleep. I quit for 2 years.. Had nightmares for about 3 months. After that, I was happier than when I was smoking. Every time the notion to smoke popped into my head, I did something else instead like read the bible, prayed, or did push ups. There is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately, I was stupid. I had smoked for 20 + years, and then quit for over 2. Then hurricane ike hit, and I was staying with people who smoked it a lot. Next thing I knew, I was buying it, and smoking it.

i've been smoking for about 3 years. As most people probably do, i started off only smoking with friends on certain occasions but during the past year or two i've been doing it every night before bed. since i quit, about 5 days ago, i've been having a lot of difficulty sleeping, with an irritated throat, headaches and neck stiffness (which may only be a result of my bad sleeping patterns). It sucks because it's affecting my school and work situation, and it makes me feel like i should have just not even bothered to have stopped.

one thing i've heard though, which is getting me a little paranoid about the headaches, is that frequent marijuana usage causes build up of THC in the brain. apparently THC stores itself in fat cells, and the brain being made up mostly of nerves and fat takes a lot of the heat from the THC that a person collects everytime he/she smokes up. and even worse, apparently after many years of marijuana usage, the THC is stored basically permanently in the brain, and if a person decides to work out and get into shape in an older age, the person can be in danger of suffering a stroke from burning fat. and apparently when the fat is burnt, the THC has nowhere else to go, gets into your nerves, and fries your brain.

i'm not sure if this is true, i heard it from a cop friend of mine who may just be saying it to turn people away from smoking weed. it doesn't make much sense to me that the brain would burn fat when working out.. maybe other areas of the body, but not the brain.

has anyone else heard anything like this, or have an opinion on it?

I have bee n smoking for 25 years. Also smoked ciggarettes for 21 years. Now after all this time I decided to quit both at once. I have nic patches for the cigs which helps. The bottom line is you have to really want to clean up and be serious about it. I constantly remind myself of the reasons why I want to quit. And it helps. It's been 3 weeks now and I can tell you the longer you stay on track the easier it will become. And slowly you will begin to feel good. Working out helps with the angry feelings quite a bit even if it's just a walk or a bike ride. Just don't give up, or eventually you will have to start all over again someday. You can't smoke forever. Good luck!!!