smoked skunk everyday practically since age 12. Now 31. Stopped 2 weeks ago. Have slept about 12 hours in last 2 weeks. lost nearly a stone. Heart pounding as soon as I try to sleep. Extreme anger/rage makes me feel like nutting randoms in the street or at work. I'm not missing being stoned but if I don't sleep properly soon I'm afraid I'll relapse or end up in the nick for murder or something. Maybe this was my natural state & why I started cainin in the first place. The weight loss is cool but the rage, insomnia & forgetfulness is just plain dangerous. Good luck everybody.

oh guys an' gals.
don't pay such attention to it.
insomnia is insomnia as long as you think you aint gonna be able to sleep.

marijuana develops no physical addiction whatsoever. proven fact. period.
EVERYTHING develops MENTAL addiction. proven fact. just life. when you stop doing something, you have to fill the emptiness.
my friend was smoking for about 20 years and quit in one day, literally.

go jogging, but jog as much as you can. or pull ups, or push ups.
get tired of the day.
just make yourself want to go to sleep.

I am heavy smoker for about 10 years and now I can handle myself not to smoke everyday, but only on weekends.
and it feels great. But I do think about marijuana everyday ;-))
but it helps me to go through the week, do my work. go towards something.
I do feel that I have to deserve a spliff.

going cold turkey hasn't really worked well for me. For ciggies it has, I decided to stop smoking cigarettes and I did.
you know how? I started physical exercises and meditation.
once you start jogging you feel guilty if you smoke a ciggie. as if you just hit your lungs and heart with a baseball bat really really hard.
(if you exercise or do some sports and smoke cigarettes it's x2 workload for your body)
All my life I was no-sport man. I tried to avoid any sport activity. But now I am in shape, feel great, and smoke marijuana and it somehow doesn't bother me anymore. I just see no reason to stop smoking because I feel great when I do. It does relax mind and body. And everyday is really stressful. Work, kids, money and so on. Everyone has some way to relax body and mind. I choose no alcohol, no cigarettes. it sux. it kills you faster 10x.

But if you feel it starts interfering your thought process and everyday routine - do something about it.
stop being a p***y.

hope that helps.
I do feel you, men (and women), believe me - I do.

Thank god you guys helped alot Those things have been happening to me The withdrawl sucks so BAD!! It feels like your gonna die or something but after Awhile You start feeling better.

I took Marinol 7.5 mg from last August until in January I started smoking buds to treat a severe restless leg syndrome.  I developed a tolerance and had to smoke more and more every night to put me to sleep.  In April I started having anxiety attacks in the afternoons (I only smoked at night) and even some attacks at night.  I realized this wasn't working for me anymore, so I am now on day 9 after quiting cold turkey (I did reduce my intake the last couple nights before I stopped cold turkey).

The withdrawal on top of my RLS is a complete b***h and I am only able to sleep 5 hours if I'm lucky from dawn until about noon (the RLS symtoms go away at dawn which is normal for that disease).  I have anxiety in the afternoon so even though I feel exhausted I can't take a nap.  I've lost 8 pounds because the anxiety makes it difficult for me to eat: no appetite.  The appetite is now returning which is good and the anxiety has lessened.  But the insomnia on top of my RLS is very depressing.

I've read here the insomnia gets better in 14 to 30 days for someone who has smoked like I did (4 months every night).

I will have to learn to adjust my life around my RLS instead of looking for a med that can put me to sleep.  I already got addicted to benzodiazepines and quit them in August of 2000.  That withdrawal was much much worse than this so I am grateful for that.  Some people take opiates for RLS at night, but I don't want to get addicted to that either.

I attend Narcotics Anonymous on a regular basis and my sponsor allowed me to try medical marijuana because of the severity of my RLS.  I recommend Marijuana Anonymous if there are meetings in your area.  N.A. is a great help in reinforcing my desire to live drug free.

Meanwhile I can't swim laps like I usually would because of a painful pelvis injury from a fall last February.  I have been popping Advils like crazy for the pain which is not that great for the kidneys.

When I can swim again I know that will help release endorphins in my brain and help with anxiety, depression symptoms.  But until my injury heals I can't exercise...

I'm also a long term survivor of AIDS and am doing well in that regard.  But I'm of the opinion that my HIV cocktail is responsible for my RLS as I never had it before I took Prezista (protease inhibitor).

Hang in there everybody.  I know we can stay strong and do this...   :-)

I have same problem. I have been smoking for more than 30years. Now I quit since 28days but I still cannot sleep good. How long will it take me to start feeling normal?...pls help me with an answer....

this comment just reminded me of a movie.. that i can't talk about..

Wow thats exactly how i feel thanks for the motivation man i was wondering why my hands were sweaty and now that you mentiaon it clear light is irratating ever since i quit. Thanks man you should really keep helping people quit because you do a great job!

woah...you lot have some serious withdrawals when you quit. ive smoked pretty heavily since i was 13, and im 21 now. I stop every time i have exams and what not, all I really get is a day or two with dodgy sleep and at the moment I have sweaty palms. All i can suggest is dont just quit at once....that would be like trying to quit smoking fags without any nicotine patches or what not. Just bring down your consumption. try not smoking when u wake up, wait untll the evenings.  try sleeping, and smoke a joint only if you cant sleep. then next night if u cant sleep... smoke a 1 skin. bit by bit

Awesome thank you, my partner is having withdraws & its really hard for him. I my self having never smoked anything so this is insightful for me to help him. thank you

Damn, some of these withdrawals sound pretty intense. I've been smoking weed for a little over a year, on and off throughout the months, & I notice when I don't smoke , I have loads of energy & can't sleep well at night. Fortunately, I don't get any of the other things mentioned, maybe I haven't smoked long enough, but when I quit smoking cigarettes after two months, it was a lot harder & I almost want to say withdrawal symptoms were pretty bad, especially when stress came up. 

Now that I've read these posts, I feel bad for you all. I quit due to my dealer moving and not wanting to drive 50 miles 1 way to get it. All in all, sweaty palms, lack of appetite...I eat the same amount, but spread throughout the day now. Smelly sweat coming from my feet. Could possibly be the toxins leaving the body. Had insomnia for a couple nights, blamed it on unrelated stresses. Been high for 2 1/2 years prior...just the suddenly sweaty palms freaked me out. Sometimes its good to just take a break and have some self control. I plan on getting enough for the weekend and being fine following that. I've quit a few times before and only wanted weed for a couple days after, only diff was I smoked a LOT more this last time. Everything is fine in moderation, so moderate your use and ween off.

it feels good to read these posts..it is truly a relief to read that the reasons for the way i feel is the pot withdrawing..insomnia, irritability, strange feelings, paranoia, feelings that i am dying..yeah those were the worst i have experienced.. the worst thing has been that even though i knew they do not threaten my life i struggled to keep that in mind.. i have been a heavy user for several years..tried to stop but the craving has always brought me back.. I guess it had a lot to do with enviroment that is around a person.. as someone said, it is a social drug meant to be shared and if your best friends do it too, it is difficult to quit because it is still around you..moreover, you cant really replace your best friends just like that..but i think that if you have serious intentions to stay away from pot, you gotta somehow reshape your friendzone..and stay strong! I have to admit, i am very motivated, hard-working, i love sport, my family, i am able to focus on more things..i recommend everyone to focus on things that give your life the positive meaning. The support of the people around you is very important..another thing is that if you have serious intentions with a opposite sex relationship you cannog really carry on with your habit, can you? My ex girlfriends, serious or less serious ones were very anti-weed mooded..i used to see that as intolerance, but now i see it differently. No person that truly cares about you would ever accept you to be a weedlover. Think about it. Ok guys, I am much calmer now so i guess thats it is everything from me for now, i might write something later. Gotta get some sleep, my day tomorrow will be long!:-) good night to everyone!

I have been smoking for the last year, and for the last 3 or 4 months i smoked at least 3 times a day. After that heavy smoking period i decided to quit for a while just to find myself sweating through my hands and feet like a w**** in a church. It is crazy, i sweat through my hands like i would through my forhead after 1 hour of exercise. It amazes me how i dry my hands and 5 seconds later i'm able to see how the sweat comes out through the pores like shiny crystal. Its an unpleasant situation because im not able to shake hands or grab something without leaving everything wet. I haven't felt anxious or nervous or depressed, it seems like it doesn't affects me psychologically, but i found out that if i smoke and quit, then i go crazy with the sweaty hands and feet which only means i'm being affected by the withdrawal symptoms. It is sad to find out that weed can actually affect you in a way that makes you reconsider if you should smoke again. I love weed but i can't stand the uncontrollable sweat issue. I don't know if any of you have the same problem, but i would love to know your experience if you do... 

32 yr male. I am not actually trying to quit, just moved to a new area with no supply and due to my job am not anxious to find a local one (elementary school administrator). I go back home in 5 days. I have never really experienced a problem with weed, I loved it, never smoked during the weekdays, just to relax in the evenings and with friends. I had smoked everyday for the last 10-12 years, with a couple of months off for international travel here and there. I didn't know I had a problem until I had to quit. I have not had more than 3 hours of sleep in any one night over the last week. My palms and soles are constantly sweaty, I was trying to figure out why my socks smelled so bad. I have headaches now, and during the short times I do sleep, I have weird memorable dreams. It's been a week, stepped it down a for a week before that. I have had to call out from work twice this week b/c I am too tired to function. This is hell, removing weed from my body has made me much worse off. I am not sure I am able to quit cold turkey, or that I even want to, but I was unaware of the affects it could have on your brain and body. Not sure where to go from here. Its going to be a tough couple of days, and a harder decision to make when I get back home to my family and friends, all of whom smoke. I am actually thinking about quitting for the first time in my life, and only b/c the act of quitting is already hell, if I wait a couple of more years it can only get worse. I want to thank you all for posting your similar problems as they help the feeling of being alone in this (I have several friends who are in very similar situations and none of them are having the problems I am). Unfortunately no one is here providing answers, I wish I could go see a doctor about this, but I live a VERY anti-weed state now and would fear for my job.

Everybody needs to calm down a bit I've smoked more than half my life. Yes it sucks to quit but it can be done just like anything else it just takes time and determination. Weed is great for some and can have health benefits but is not yet socially acceptable so if you need to quit quit! I personally wait for the day when I can start again.