HI all,

I'm 48 and a half. I have started missing my period once or twice a year now. Last month I did miss my period and this month I have had three days of brown spotting one week before my period was due and I still have no period and its 16 days late. Instead I have morning nausea, occasional dizziness, very sore nipples, swollen breasts, incredible fatigue. Question is pregnant or not????? I have never been pregnant so have nothing to go on. Have tried desperately for years to get pregnant and had long given up - it broke up my previous marriage. My new husband would love a child. I have taken two HPT and both were negative but the symptoms persist. I would be thrilled if I was pregnant but devastated then to lose baby or to find out I wasn't pregnant at all. I don't know whether to go and see doctor or not, or just give it another month and see what happens????

Love this forum, have so much in common with all of you. I'm 48 and haven't had a period in nearly 3 1/2 years, yes years (no spotting no nothing), and now I have all the symptoms of pregnancy after one time without protection with a man that had a vas. How is it possible? I have a 20 year old and went through what I thought was perimenopause in my late 30's early 40's. I am absolutely thrilled, yet both HPTs I took were negative, so I'll be going to the dr this week. I have no idea how to tell the father, we are no longer a couple. Would love to hear from anyone else that has gone for years then became preg. Also does anyone have advice as to how to tell "dad" or whether to just do it on my own and leave him clueless. Don't know how to explain it to my son and the rest of the family. Been divorced 15 years and raised my now 20 year old alone, so not afraid of doing this alone. Any ideas on what to tell "dad" other than Merry Xmas you're a father?

Hi all,
Thanks for contributing your stories! I am a 48 year old mother of 3 (youngest 20) had a tubal 10 minutes after the youngest' birth. I have a grandaughter who is 4. I am feeling kinda stupid, to be sure. This nana is a nurse who has had entirely regular periods every 27 days like clockwork. For the last 2 years, the periods have been heavy, but regular. I've also been hot-flashing for years.
My last period was in the end of August. Yay! I thought, peri-menopause has begun! Now I am beginning to wonder. In December after no period still, I did a HPT just to be sure, NEGATIVE. Whew..... glad about that.
Now, for the last 3 weeks, I have felt movement all over the place. Mostly it is on the right side, but also in the lower pelvis. It began first like a flutter sensation, now its' all over the place. I'm no id**t, but it really feels just like the movement when I had all of my kids. Took a 2nd HPT, just to be sure X2, NEGATIVE. Still no menses.
I have paid closer attention to myself, and even through the extra fluff I have accumulated over the years, can see a gravid appearing abdomen. I am making an appt. with my GYN tomorrow, and we shall see. This nurse/mom/nana always said that if I were pregnant again I would have to consider "not being". Thing is, if I am, it will be too late to have any options other than proceeding.
When I began to feel movement with my 3 kids, it was at around 16 weeks, then progressed over the next month to exactly what i am feeling now. This would drastically alter my life, but as a nurse, I learn to adapt and improvise. Thanks for listening.

OH PLEASE! I need to know how your situation has turned out! I am 52. I had a tubal ligation in 1998, the one they cut AND burn. I had been without a period for over a year then had 2 days of spotting then back to normal. After new years I was down for a week or so with "flu" like symptoms then nothing. I have always seemed to have a weak bladder but even the trips to the bathroom have increased. For the last month or so I have mentioned to my husband that I can REALLY feel my bowels move (but no gas) and it felt really weird. This sensation has been increasing in strength. I am very afraid of even mentioning the P word let alone get a PG test. (there is a thing called false positive). I am finding it hard to wrap my mind around this.

Question for someone...I am 41 years of age, and I took FOUR pregnancy test this week. All of course came out positive. My question is this... Can a test come out positive when yet you are really not pregnant? I heard that you can have a positive test when you are "pre-menopauseal". Is that true? I have always had periods faithfully, so I'm not sure what to make of the whole menopause thing. I have NO symtoms though yet of pregnancy (would only be about 4 weeks though). Any ideas out there?

Thank goodness for posts like this. I am 47 (48 in July) have had a tubal ligation and thought my pregnancy days were over. I am actually looking forward to menopause. I found out 2 years ago that I have leukemia and also suffer from diabetes so a baby just isnt a great idea right now. My youngest is my only girl and is 8 years old. I thought I was old when I had her! I just dont know if this is a good thing to go through although my husband is ecstatic and already talking about the "little man". He would love a son. I have 3 from a previous marriage. I was never a believer in abortion but I have to say, I am seriously considering it if the test comes back positive. Please keep me in your prayers. I am surely going to need them! :$ :'(

Hi everyone, I just wanted to let you know I am in menopause stage, and had my tubes tied also when my youngest son was born, due to a congental heart condition. but when he turned five I got prego in my tubes, I knew I had prego symptoms and knew I sounded crazy. but my pt test kept saying negetive. until one day I started hurting really bad in the bottom of my adominal and went to the doctors to find out I was right. I was prego but it was in my tube. eight months later I got prego again in the other tube. So I thought they took both of my tubes out. I was relieved that I finally couldn't get that way. but then when I hit my forties I started to do the same thing again. yet my pt test were neg. So went to the doctors to find out and still they said I could get prego due to having a piece of tube left in their but my blood work showed I wasn't. but later had a miscarage. and I knew I did and three doctors confermed it. now I am forty_seven and feel like a prego again. feeling movement and morning sickness, tiredness, leg cramping, low sugar. etc. but pt still says neg. So to me anything is possible when you go through menopause. hope this helps and will keep you posted.

Dear Dawn, take it from someone who been through enough to know the signs. and enough about pregos to say she has it down pat. I am 47years old and going through early menopause. Had a tubel done when I had my second son. in 1983 and got prego twice when he was five years old. thought I couldn't get that way because I thought after I was prego in both of my tubes. thought they took both out, but last year found out I still had a piece of one in their. due to having prego symptoms and saw a baby on my U/S after I went for a check up. didn't really see it at first. due to my eyes getting bad. but knew I was in my heart, because I first had head aches, nausia, bloating. and then I started to get weak, thought it was the meds I was on. found out it was due to low blood sugar, and going to the restroom like you wouldn't beleive. was having leg cramps back aches. the whole nine yards. and the doctors kept telling me it was menopause. but my mother-law told me to get a pt test to see if I was. took one and it showed neg. took another, neg. and even went to my family doctor for a blood test and notta. found out a week later I was positive on one of those cheap pt. yet they kept telling me I wasn't. then one week later I lost it. I had a miscarriage, and had three doctors conferm it. And I too am like the lady that her body says one thing and her blood work says something else. because my blood work showed I wasn't in menopause either and I knew I was. due to my periods always being on time, and then all of a sudden they started missing and hitting sort of speak. and I started having those hot flahes they talk about. and now I am in a pickle jar again. I had my tubes tied due from a heart problem so I was trying to prevent it from happing. they wouldn't give me birthcontrol so I finally talked a doctor into doing something to prevent me from getting prego. and it was schecheled for june. but have to cancial it now until I find out if I am prego or if its menopause. which between me and you. If I was a betting lady, Id bet on the odds that I am. just don't know how far along yet. feel movement in two places and am ready to screm if I thought it would help. but going through all this. I am glad I found this place so I too don't feel like a crazy lady. but already made apointment with my family doctor. he just don't know yet what for. but I read you don't have a family of your own. and my real sister is gone too. and my dad, I lost my bubby last year. I wanted to help in some way if I could. so if you just want to talk my email is . k God bless and take care

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

hi deasy, I too went through what you did and want to know if you ever exspeirenced the prego symptoms when you were having your monthly's every three to five months. did you have spotting like for a whole month the month before you found out your were prego. reason I ask this. is because I am forty-eight years old and in feb. I spotted the whole month and in march had what some would call a regular monthly. and haven't seen nothing since then. everyone I have read about says theirs is sometimes heavy. mine has never been heavy, only when I had the misscariage last year. and it was really bad then. but never have had it more than a four day period mostly its been like two light days and two heavy when I do see it come. just wondering why I don't like most of them. and you are the only one doing the samo as me. so thanks for your replies. I don't feel so alone. God bless brightsr

Ladies what a pleasure to find you here! Altho am from Australia our problems are obviously very universal.... am 53 and went out with partner for six weeks.... things cooling off and now i find am nauseaus / vomiting in the morning... no other symptoms yet but am verrrry worried ! Just wanted to say its great to know there are others out there to talk to!

Congrats ladies, I am surprized to hear you can get preggo during menopause. I'm 41 yrs. old and have a 13 yr old daughter whose just started what we want to end. I was leaking in my right boob and after seeing the doctor was told maybe hitting premenapause. This Aug 5, I was without a period since May and than two weeks later had a light period finally. My exam with pap came out negative, thyroid fine, pregnancy test negative. I was told too young to be having menapause and suggested hormones. But I started taking multi vitamines. Two weeks later after sex started to bleed lightly. I couldn't tell if it was because of the pap, the vitamines, or sex?? So after just having sex recently started to bleed again with unusual cramping and not feeling right, not feeling good at all. Now I'm wondering if I am pregnant and maybe for some reason its just not showing up as such because I had all they symptoms of being pregnant and I'm wondering what it is going through. Miscarriage or premenapause problems. I go in again to see my doctor on the 9 of this month. I also wanted to mention think something is wrong preggo wise because of feeling and pain during sex feels the same as when last time preggo.

I am 40 years old, my periods have been eratic the past year, but I just took a pregnancy test on Thursday and it was positive. Then I took another one on Wednesday and it was positive. Now I'm bleeding. Can the beginning stages of menopause give you positive pregnancy tests? I really dont understand what my body is going through....help!

no menopause will not give you positive results. Your preggo and your bleeding could be normal, but its possible there is something wrong and you could be miscarring. Take it easy and get a hold of your doctor. Stay off your feet! No I'm not a doctor but it sounds like something I would do. I've had negative results but no bleeding and suddenly started to bleed a little but not enough for a period. But I'm treating as a preggo and if I had started some really bad cramping would of went right away to the doctors. But it was just light bleeding for 3 days. Stayed off my feet and took it easy to be safe. ;-)

Hi, I am 46 years old, I have had reggular periods until 4 months ago when they suddenly stopped, i did a home pregnancy test and it was negative, so I thought it must be menopause however i have no menopausal symptoms. I have had slight stomach cramps and the occasional spotting, I also feel very bloated. What do people think?

Ok I'm 47 and over the past 4 yrs have maybe missed 4 periods. All these times I knew I wasn't pregnant. I've never had children, my husband and I tried when we first married in the late 80's and after I couldn't get pregnant went to the doctor and he did an in office test and all indicators showed my tubes to be blocked. He told me I could do exploratory and fix them if they were. I decided to leave it in Gods hands and if it were meant to be I would get pregnant. I never did. And after a couple of years I was content and always have been. Even last summer after going 10 wks between periods I knew I wasn't there were no symptoms I just never had a period but everyone keep telling me you better make sure. I knew I wasn't but got a test anyway and sure enough I wasn't and started my period. I wasn't worried in the slightest that I might be because I knew. Well this time it is different. And even though I am now having what I consider a period things are different. Started being very tired a couple of weeks ago, and now around 5 pm it's like I hit a wall and I am wiped out. Then around 9 pm I come out of it. Usually before a period my breasts get sore this time my nipples did and my nipples have been protruding (I've always had inverted nipples that have rarely ever came out.) I started aching 3 days before I started my period which was 3 days early by the way and I am never early (during my whole life I may have been early 4 or 5 times). Then since starting I've cramped some and have ached almost the whole time and I'm 3 days into my period. Also I always start out heavy and stay that way for about 3 days then get lighter the last 4. This time I started out medium got lighter through the day so much that I put a pantie shield on toward the end of the day, then I got heavy then light now back to heavy. I started at night and the next morning when I got up I had a wave of nausea hit me, and haven't felt right ever since. Light headed, some very mild nausea at times. Oh and I'm bloated so much that the other day my husband of 23 yrs asked me if I was bloated and touched my stomach. He has never asked that question. I usually don't bloat a lot before my period. And last night my stomach started itching and has some today. So tell me ladies what do you think. Some nausea, light headed, a lot of aching, tired, nipples protruding, and a crazy period if that is what it is. Oh and by the way this time I feel like I'm pregnant and believe I am. Even my sister thinks I am and all through the years even early on when my husband and I were trying she never though I was just the she may be. But this time she really believes and thinks I am.