I noticed on Tues. that after I shaved my legs I had a couple of small very painful cracks on the outer folds of my vagina. Today I've been having some general burning and itching in the area, and I did an inspection. I found that the skin underneath both sides of my vagina is very red and there are cracks that bleed slightly....does ANYONE know what this could be???? PLEASE HELP!

I have the same thing, I thought it was the lofa I was using, causing chafing, but it's been like this for a few days, but for the week before, it was very itchy. I'm sure scratching caused the chaffing and now skin cracks, but how do we deal with this?

I also have this. Mine are more toward the bottom of the vagina. They start near the anus, and are on the perineum and labium majus. The skin around the cracks is white in color and VERY painful. The "cracks" vary in size and there are many of them....
At first I thought I just nicked the skin from the razor...but this seems to be more than just that.
I am not sure if I have an std- but I don't even know which one to look up to view pics..I saw this posting and thought someone might have an answer?

I have the same kind of problem, for the past few months i have had a itchy burning, in my vagina, now i have had yeast infections but NEVER like this!! I began to notice that small little red bumps would appear in the inner layer of my vagina, when i inspected it more i noticed crack like sores that are red and inflammed! The cracks are weird because they will move from my vagina to inside my butt crack!!!! I went to the doc and he said that its from the summer heat and it will go away with some cream and by taking baths! Well it hasnt went away, in fact its almost gotten worse it has to be something more but i have no idea, can someone help?????? I also have a piercing down there but no one i know has had these symptoms from a piercing! please HELP !!!! i am so tired of the abnormal vagina!!!

I've got what I'm not sure is the same problem going on down there. Around the outside of my vagina (not on the lips but more the inner thighs and towards my anus is red and dry. I'm not sure what this is. It isn't uncomfortable right now... but a week ago I was feeling pain... almost like it was chafing. It started when I was wearing a pair of lacy bootie shorts. Could this simply be caused by chafing, and will it go away? For the record I am in a long-term relationship and have been faithful... so I don't think there's any possibility of an STD whatsoever.

I've been doing some studying about this particular subject matter myself. What I have learned is that it can be caused by dryness, frequent urnination for whatever reason, injury, eg., itching, perfumed soaps, etc. My doctor's nurse told me to gently cleanse the whole area with a warm, very clean, wash cloth. Then to apply regular vagasil cream. I've done this, and it's all gone in two days. I believe that mine was caused due to frequent/stress urination. I'll do that sometimes, and then with it being winter, and all. Anyway, I'm still going in to see my doctor in a few weeks, and I highly recommend that you all do, as well. There could be some other things going on. In any case, I thank you all for sharing it helped to ease my mind knowing that I wasn't alone, and that it was less liking s.t.d. related. In Christ's love.

Yes, so it turned out that it was kind of a rash, and no big deal at all. However I'm glad that I went to my doctor, and put my mind at ease over it all. Now if it ever happens again I know to just do the gentle cleansing thing, and apply some organic jojoba oil until it's gone. Or as the nurse recommended regular vagisil, which I did use for a couple of days and got some relief, but the oil worked the best for me afterwards. J.KingK wrote:

Not to scare anyone...but I suggest that all of you who have these "cracks" and irritation get a blood test for herpes. They are characteristic of a mild herpes outbreak (but just because it is mild it is still the virus). I am having that same problem and am currently waiting for test results; better to know than not. Good luck to everyone and GET TESTED.

Thanks for the response. I was really scared about my abnormal vagina.

I thought because I wasn't haven't sex, I was just getting dried out. Silly eh.

So as it relates to STD and herpes, it happens even to those of use practicing abstinence

Hi all......I just wanted to say that I have suffered with these types of cracks and painful itching for years. I have a disease called Lichen Schlerosis et atrophicus. It is a incurable skin disease, and I have had it over 20 years. This disease can cause cracks, bleeding, thinning of skin, ulcers around vagina, and many more symptoms. It is a horrible disease, but can be controled. Please look for Lichen Schlerosis groups in Yahoo Groups. The one I belong to is: LichenSchlerosis, and it is moderated by a woman that has "cured" her disease. She has more information than any doctor, and I have been part of her group for a very long time. If you think you may have it, please check out her group, and read all the information she has there. She also has a list of doctors in all areas that treat it.
To treat my problems, I use Balmex diaper lotion, and it helps with the pain and itching. Of course Balmex is Zinc Oxcide, the same as Desitin and others, but the Balmex works best for me.
Good luck to you all.

I've also started getting this recently. Paper cut like slices, itchy even a abnormal discharge(past 4 months) and at first was totally freaked it could be an STD. First Doctors trip told me it was a possible skin irritation (since i had problems in the past with laundry soap) He took several swabs and I got a pap smear.....Test came back negative for anything abnormal. Problem persisted so I went to another female doctor. Same exact thing swabs, pap smear, change laundry soap to sensitive skin (which I had). Tests came back negative for STD's. I'm gonna try this vagasil method cause nothing else seems to be working...and apart from worrying myself i have a major illness....really kills the sex life.

Let me add another "me too." I went to the doctor with itching and irritation, and now I'm waiting for herpes test results. She pointed out a tiny lesion, like a paper cut, that I hadn't noticed. Last year I went in for something similar, which was supposedly a scratch and irritation from my bike seat. I wound up feeling a little goofy for going to the doctor over it. Now I'm pretty freaked out and my doctor was kind of ambiguous, like "I don't want you to think you have herpes until we get the results, but are you sure you don't want the medication for it?" WTF. I had no idea. When I thought of herpes I thought of, you know, oozing sores. I was pretty sure I didn't have such a thing. Now I don't know. So maybe it's just my bike seat, or skin irritation, or something. I'd like to know what percentage of the time these kinds of symptoms turn out to be herpes for real. And why aren't more of us aware that sometimes a herpes outbreak is just itchiness.

Hi ladies, I had this problem a month ago after gettingmy frist yeast infection. My doc perscribed Diflucan over the phone and days later I had this cracked skin problem. Very painful and teh first time I have ever had this problem. I went to the doc and was tested for Herpes, Chlamydia and Ghonorreah (spelling??) and all the tests came back Neg. Thank God it has not happened again but I suffered another Yeat Infection this month right before my period...ugh!

Hope this helps!

I'm relieved I found this! I felt like I had chafing down there and looked and had a small cut and it hurt. I am going to try some cream and see if it clears up. i am glad everyone writes, it makes me feel so much better!!thanks for the thread!

So I was totally freaked out about this same topic about a month ago.
I check every google search possible and could not figure it out.
I was also freaking out about possible herpes idea.
I bought Hydrocortozone and an antibiodic.
Symptoms cleared for about 3 days and came back...
long story short -
I bought the 3 day Monistat with the combo topical cream and
vola - better
paper-like cuts and all.
Not to get visual but I can also poo in pleasantness now (the cuts and irritation had reached that far back...)
So I had a yeast infection - you might too.