Hello! I am 9 weeks pregnant and I have developed a rash on my buttocks. It is red and the bumps are raised and it is rather itchy. What could this be? I haven’t changed my diet much or introduced any new foods?

Have you been using a new deodorant, cream, oil? These things too can cause irritation. Skin changes are common in pregnancy; they shouldn’t be mixed with allergies or rashes. This is why you should check this rash at dermatologist office. These changes usually disappear within a few months after the baby is born but it may reappear during your next pregnancy. These changes don’t harm the mother or the baby but you should definitely have it checked to see what it is.

Sounds to me like you could have the Puppps Rash. It affects pregnant women, usually in their first pregnancies. Only 1 in 200 pregnancies at that. I just got over the Puppps rash myself and I know how awlful it is! I have never felt that kind of itching IN MY LIFE! Mine began on my stomach, and spread to my hips, thighs, buttocks, back of my arms, behind my knees (in the crease), on my legs, ankles and feet. I was loosing sleep over it, spoke with my Dr. and she told me to get Hydrocortozone cream and Benedryl. Yeah, those didn't work. She then perscribed me Vistaril, all that did was make me tired, and not tired enough to sleep through the itching. I was beginning to think there was no hope, being told that the only way to cure the rash was to give birth. I then began my search... try GRANDPA'S PINE TAR SOAP
(found at any health food store) and use it 2, sometimes 3 times a day. After you use it, apply SARNA lotion (found at any drugstore where the Hydrocortizone cream is) and within days your rash should begin to clear up. I know mine did, it has been over a week now and mine is pretty much gone! Just an FYI, the Sarna lotion is kinda pricy (like 10-11 bucks) but is worth every penny. It cools your skin, and feels like icy-hot. But it takes away the itch! Good luck to ya, hopefully this help's anyone going through this evil rash!