Often when I color my hair too light (dark brown to dark golden blonde) it will turn a redish color. Last time I had it colored at the salon my stylist said if it was "too red" she could put a rinse on it to tone it down.
Does anyone know what type of a rinse this is?
Finances don't allow me to have my hair color treated by my stylist on regular intervals.
Thanks!

The rinse is probably a toner. It comes in multiple colors and it is temporary. It is used to better blend highlights or to tone certain colors out such as your red color. When you mix brown with blonde, it will have red undertones to it. Very hard to get out. I have had mine worked on by a professional about 5 times. It's odd because if you dye your hair red, it fades, if you want it out, it doesn't fade! Sally's is a great alternative to a pro. They have products to get the red out of hair, green, yellow! Just be sure and read the instructions before you buy it. Some may cause a negative effect. Red before you buy. The time invested will allow perfect results.