My sister told me she would buy Clairol metalex to change her hair color. I wonder if that is possible, since she said that is not like blanching hair. I want to hear something about this product. Is that much expensive product, since I hear for this for the first time? Is there someone who tried this Clairol metalex and could give me some info?

Although I have heard for different experiences, mine is not so good with Metalex conditioner by Clairol. If that is product, I think I have to say I just returned some to the drugstore where I got it. I bought it at the first place, thinking it would take permanent color out of my hair. When I got it home and read the directions, it stated that it would only take out non-permanent color, which was not mine problem. When I have heard comercial for this product, they said there is a product called Metalex available at beauty supply stores. They were claiming that is a mild color remover, which will not change your regular hair color, as bleach would do. Then how it can lighten a shade or two, which is question I still, do not understand. Is that normal it can be applied a few times if we notice color rinsing out in the water and not damage hair? My friend used it when she thought that she would look good in a deep auburn haircolor, which was permanent. She mixed it with shampoo and used it for the first poo then followed up with a regular poo. Took about 3 weeks for it to fade the red out in her case and she was happy with results of Methalex Clairol. As you see, that is individual, so you can try it to see how it works for you.

Ths Clairol product did not used to be available in retail stores. What is there now may be a weaker version. It is a color remover for safely removing artificial color. The changing of the hair color was done with the application of the hari coloring. Most temporary colors do not lighten. However, permanent colors do lighten, and once the permanent color is removed, what is left may be considerably lighter than the natural shade, since metalex cannot put back that original pigment. It is generally used for a really extreme color change, such as black to blonde to remove artificial color. The resulting color after a Metalex treatment is often not pleasant, but if no further color is wanted, one can apply a temporary rinse to tone it. If it is too brassy, the Roux White Minx or Clairol Silk and Silver or Moondrops work nicely.

To effect a gradual lightening and brightening you might try a simple vinegar rinse after shampooing, but it may dry the hair. Some of the new toned shampoos look good. If you want a gentle lightening, there is a product in beauty supply stores called oil bleach, which is very gently and much less damaging than any other lightener. To recondition, any shade of Egyptian Henna works well, even neutral, which has not color.

I hope this helps. I was a licensed cosmetologist in California and Alaska for years.

Ok it seems like this system posted my same reply twice, so I am editing this one, One other use for metalex is to fill the open spaces in very damaged colored hair before changing the color, because if they are not filled, the new color will :grab:, that is it will be darker and more intense where there is damage, possibly resulting in an unsightly uneven color in bands where there is damage or very dark ends.

:-D

As the name implies, Metalex was originally created and designed to remove mineral build-up from hair. This is how I learned of it. I lived in a building with really old pipes but also just generally in a part of Los Angeles that had really hard water. It murdered my hair. It was brittle and breaking and I had never experienced that before. My mom asked around and they told her about it so she hunted some down and shipped it to me. For the removal of mineral buildup, this product absolutely does the trick! I love it. It left my hair feeling so soft and silky I almost can't stop touching it for a couple of days after I use it. I no longer live with hard-water problems but I still use Metalex 1-2 times a month just to make it smooth and shiny. It's by far the best "moisturizing" product I've ever used.

I first heard about metalex in cosmetology school. My state board teacher told us that you can use the product to remove semi permanent hair color, remove build-up on the hair, and remove medication off of the hair strand. Then I was curious about how the product work so I used it one day on my mother's hair. I used maybe a teaspoon of it by itself and let it sit for 20 min. The results is amazing ; the hair has body and shine. You have to use peroxide 20 or 30 vol to remove the color. Use can even use it before chemicals. The only thing is use this product every day but every 2 weeks. 5 stars

I was told by an instructor at a beauty salon to use Metalex to remove non-permanent and to remove metallic dye from your hair. She said to mix 1 oz of 20-volume peroxide with 20 drops of 28% ammonia. Submerging about 20 strands in the solution for about 30 minutes at room temperature. If the hair sample lightens rapidly, the hair contains lead. If their is no reaction after 30 minutes, the hair contains silver or bisuth. If the sollution starts to boil and emits a foul odor, the hair contains copper. Hair that only has no metallic salts on it should lighten slightly. Metalex is a good clarifying treatment to use on hair suspected of having metallic salts or a direct dye. She gave me this information because I used a non-permanent color to cover my gray and I have permed hair. In order to be able to perm it again without growing out the dye first she suggested this solution.

It will remove the color, however I can not find it anymore. I think it is a discontinued product.

This was the 911 to demaged hair...it's very hard to find these days :-(

Clairol® METALEX™ was a sulfonated-oil  treatment used for removing coatings from hair ( metal salts/minerals, temp & semi-permanent dyes, hair lacquer/hairspray & henna) it was also a 'Hot Oil' treatment for damaged, dried-out hair. It could be used to 'soften' and remove excess PERMANENT color when mixed with equal parts peroxide and applied within 24 hours of coloring before the color was fully set. It was used only in beauty salons until the late 1960's when they started to sell 4 oz. and 8 oz. sizes in select drugstores they discontinued selling it in drugstores in the late 1990's and discontinued it altogether in 2005 / 2007 back stock has been sold since. 

Clairol has been decimated since its acquisition by Proctor & Gamble (P&G) they haven't marketed a successful product since the relaunch of Herbal Essences® in 1995 and many staples of the brand discontinued or 'jettisoned' to other companies (Hair So New™, KiNDNESS®, Colorfast™, condition*™, Final Net®, Loving Care®) including discontinuing their flagship brand Miss Clairol® Hair Color Bath™ the one that started the whole "Hair Color Revolution" and the famous slogan: Does She? Or Doesn't She?. Clairol has become a fading entity - her gray is finally starting to show - TIME FOR A RETOUCH P&G!!!

Metalex was a wonderful product used to rwmove color, product buildup, and condition damaged hair. My mother taught cosmetology in three (3) states and swore by it. She alsp used it to stop hair breakage. Unfortunately, Clairol has discontinued it.

my name is Kim and I nd to know where did you buy Metalex. Can not find it in Chicago. Will pay for s&h. thank you

my name is Kim. I have been looking for this product. So, if you have it I would like to but it from you. Please let me knw where can you get it from.

Where did she find it ?