I had mine out a week ago felt great and the out of no where I am having dizzy spells, weird pains ,and yes the bloat is awful. I will research on what foods to not eat with what foods and what to eat that is good for liver health since that takes on the additional task of bile production. No big meals you will rue the day...parsley and basil tomatoes salads are great. I have come to the conclusion...bodies are weird.

so glad i found this!! i had mine out in 2004 and just thought i gained weight at first.  I always been 105 -110.  Now i look 5 months pregnant.  skinny everywhere else but this big fat stomach.  Not even fat, but sticking out and hard. just thought i was eatign too much even though i dont. i tried losing wieght, excerising, and detoxing.  everywhere i lose weight but my stomach!  i was talking to a friend who said she had the same bloatingness.  so i looked it up and it seems like it is common.  I went on a diet (prior to reading this) with limited red meat and it seems to be going down (the bloatness).

I had my gallbladder taken out on sept 2011 its been two yrs and six months.my upper stomach is also very bloated I had complication with the surgery I don't know what to do.

I had my gallbladder out in Feb 2013, and I still look 9 months pregnant and am in a lot of discomfort! I also have chronic heartburn and acid (or bile?) reflux.

I never eat red meat and follow a low fat diet: skimmed milk, olive spread, no cheese, pastry ,cream, fried stuff etc.  All I eat is wholemeal bread, vegetables, fish and, once a week, skinless chicken breast just baked in the oven.  I do not have yoghurts, jams, sauces, pickles, biscuits, cakes, sweets,crisps,chocolate etc etc.

I do not smoke, drink alcohol or coffee.  In short my diet is bland, bland, bland!  I do not have the runs, which is supposed to be common after gallbladder removal, I am just bloated and very uncomfortable all the time, and none of my skirts or trousers fit me anymore.   All my GP said was that this is a common problem, but could not offer any advice.  My 80 year old neighbour had her gallbladder removed 30 years ago and she says she has been constantly bloated ever since!

I wish someone would come up with a cure!

It's been about 7 yrs for me since surgery and I am the same...I am so uncomfortable sometimes I don't want to get dressed. I have that roll under my chest that never existed before surgery and I have put on a lot of weight! Need help it is starting to affect my well being!

i am 2 weeks post GB surgery, so glad that i found this post, thanks everyone.

i found a little bloating after the surgery, my waist measures 1 1/2 inches more than before although i lost 4 lbs after the surgery. i think i'll give digestive enzymes a try.

had my gallbladder removed 2 momnths ago. My stomach is still bloated, and every time I eat it bloats even more. I have never been thin, but notfat either. Now I look and feel disgusting, as my distended stomach looks like a 80 year old beer gut. I can't even suck it in it distends so far...

Will this ever go away

I had my gall bladder removed 2wks ago. I had a lot of swelling on the left side of my abdomen. I went in yesterday & they did a CT scan w/ contrast.  They said I had a seroma.It is common after surgeries. It is actually serum from blood cells that were cut. It pools & causes some pain. They took a needle & aspirated it & took 150 ml from me--over a cup. The rest will eventually be absorbed. If too much is there it can cause a hardening.

My Gallbladder is acting up and I haven't decided if I want it out or not??? I am suppose to sched. the surgery. I have been so bloated and I look like I am 7 months pregant for 5 weeks now and dealing with the pain when I eat anything besides jello or yoguart. From reading all the comments posted it seems that even after the surgery you continue to be bloated this isn't good  and now I really don't know what to do but thanks for the info .

Hi Huffman, If you have been medically advised to have it out I would. The pain I had before gallbladder removal was worse than the pain and discomfort I feel now. Also If one of your stones gets lodged (as mine did) you run the risk of bile being unable to leave the gall bladder and turning your gall bladder septic (which mine did!)
I was in hospital for 2 weeks - nil by mouth and on some seriously heavy duty antibiotics. Seemingly your gallbladder can burst in this situation, and one lady I was in with had to have part of her liver removed as well.

Get it out ASAP!

Cry me a river

Oh do grow up! Go bore someone else.

Don't take Milk Thistle if you're allergic to ragweed because it is in the same family of plants and may cause an allergic reaction

Thanks very much for this post...I had a gall bladder surgery 2 years back and never understood why my tummy was always so bloated as compared to my overall figure.Looked like i was perenially pregnant...I would try this diet.Thank you very much.

It's worth asking your GP to refer you to an NHS dietitian. Mine is very good. She's put me on the FODMAP diet (which basically excludes foods that ferment once they're in your system). You can get an App that gives you a list of troublesome foods. It's a long list, but I've been on it for 6 months and am getting used to it. You start with a 6-week elimination period, followed by a few months of reintroducing foods to see what happens. Wishing you all the best, Jan