I had my gallbladder out a year ago. I have gained weight, am constantly bloated, have indigestion and feel just plain awful. I eat a very healthy diet with very little red meat and or fats and still feel this way. I look like I am 6 months pregnant. What can I do????

So sorry to hear yr. story.Mine was removed two months ago.Just like you, I too get a bloated tummy even if I eat little. The doc. said it takes about 3 months for the gas they pump in to get released, but how? Just like you I am really uncomfortable. Passing gas occassionally is my only saviour - but it's ugly & bad. Hope we all will get well soon.

where do u get them from

I had my gallbladder out March 2014, seven months ago. It was only working at 10%. I felt awful and finally developed a fever before the surgery date and had to have an emergency surgery. The problems I face are diarrhea and bloating/large stomach. The doctor gave me cholestyramine to help with the diarrhea. But the bloating; I am about the same weight as before, 141 at 5'3", but I now look 5-6 months pregnant. My largest pants, which used to hang on me, are tight. I'm not sure what to do too. Do I change my diet? Do I start exercising an hour a day? I hope someone could help us with advice diet-wise or otherwise.

I did the wait-and-see method for 15 years, well I had to have emergency surgury 20 days ago. The surgeon and staff said I had the worst looking gallbladder they've seen in 30 years. BTW I'm 39, exremely fit, have 6-pack abs and run marathons. I'd never think I had the worst looking anything. Get it out before it gets worse. Found out today I have a seroma in its place... UGH

i have had my gallbladder removed about 2 weeks ago and 2 colonistopes two have 6 pulips removed.   i slept the first week i got home now i have  had two meals of solid food small ones but i look 8 months pregnate and have not had a bowel movement im scared n worried 

Make sure you are calling your doctor about not having a bowel movement. I'm not a doctor and so you should contact him/her. I do know that my daughter's doctor recommended Miralax to get things going, but it may not be the same problem, so make sure to call your doctor.

Thank you so much for all your input. It has helped me immensely in sorting out some of my symptoms after having my gall bladder out

I had my gallbladder removed 2.5 weeks ago and I have never felt better.  I was in chronic pain for 10 years with severe attacks intermittenly throughout the year.  If they have diagnosed that gallstones are the caused of your pain, get it removed.  You will feel so much better.

A day after surgery, I walked 1/2 mile.  On 3rd day, i walked 1 mile and increased it each day.  On the 6th day I walked 5 miles.  I also only took 4 pain killers and 2 advils after surgery for a total of only 2 days.  The pain I experienced after surgery was nominal compared to the pain from gall bladder attacks.  Its like a paper cut vs somebody stabbing you type feel.  The bloating was more uncomfortable for me than the pain.

I believe that a healthy body before sugery is important for recovery and to walk if you can to reduce bloating (from gas pumped into your body cabity), get blood flowing, reducing swelling from incisions.  I exercised alot 5-6 days per week on average and eat a healthy diet.  The nurses that had their GB removed gave me some recommendations which I think are helpful.

a few weeks before surgery - exercise as much as you can and eat a healthy diet, no greasy fatty foods, eat healthy fats, vegetables, fruits, etc

a few days before surgery - eat liquid diet, ie brothy soups, vegetable juices, and A LOT of fiber ie salads, fruits and vegetables i.e. Pomegranite seeds,berries whatever.  Drink alot of water.  The anesthesia you get from surgery and pain killers after surgery will cause significant constipation.  So you are preparing your body to help you eliminate easily without straining or pain after surgery and to help you reduce bloating.

After surgery - drink a lot of water.  Take Gas X and Dulcolax in addition to pain killers with your meal.  Eat a lot of fiber balanced with no to very small pieces of meat.  you may not feel hungry for a few days after surgery because of the weird feeling of your organs being moved around, swelling from incisions, and a lot of bloating from gas being pumped into your body cavity during surgery.  If you are able to walk around the house, do so will help you eliminate the pressure in your abdomen, gas pains in your shoulder, get you to eliminate faSter...it really helps you feel better when you can eliminate to help reduce bloating.

continue to walk as much as you can.  My surgeon gave me the ok to exercise 2 weeks after surgery.  I healed at an incredible speed.  And I believe in the power of walking to help speed recovery.  This was a priceless advice the nurses gave me. 

The body can heal itself, but you also have to do what you can to help it heal.  Walk, move around, stop eating crappy foods, fried, greasy foods.  Your body is trying to tell you something...that your body cannot handle fatty foods. talk to a nutrition counselor.  That was a gift I got myself last year when I was finally diagnosed with gallstones causing my attacks.  I lost 30 lbs in a year by eating healthy and exercising.  This was also the post pregnancy weight.  I have never been heavy in my life, exercised consistently, healthy overall but just gallbladder attacks that came frequently after my second pregnancy.

Surgery is expensive cost ($13-15k before insurance kicks in ), even though I have insurance it is still a hefty price tag.  Now I no longer have my gall bladder, I feel great but I also feel that I had gotten myself to this point, I am responsibl for keeping my body healthy going forward.

Exercise! It helps with bloating and the full ferling you get! I am a believer in exercising to help you body heal, get blood flowing, lose any excess weight, mental therapy and the feeling of personal accomplishment. I had gallbladder removed 2.5 weeks ago, walked 1/2 on 2nd day and increased it by each day. No more pain after 3rd day. I walked 5 miles on 6th day and no more bloating, I have never felt better. I exercise 5-6 days a weeek on average. On the days I don't exercise I feel sluggish.

Talk to a nutrition counselor at the YMCA or just go pay for a nutritionist. Advice i got was this: eat foods in three major categories (1) lean protein (skinless chicken or turkey breast, wild caught salmon, part-skim string cheese, egg, sardines, tuna, plant-based proteins include beans, soybeans, chick peas, hummus) (2) complex carbohydrates which includes leafy greens, berries, sweet potatoes, apples, pears, pomegranite, look for foods high in antioxidants, grains ie brown rice, quinoa, whoke wheat bread (3) healthy fats (advocado, nuts ie almonds, walnuts, peanuts, pistachios, etc, wild caught salmon, canned sardines, tuna). Aim for equal 50% complex carb, 25% each for protein and healthy fats.

An example of my breakfast would be 1/2 Whole Wheat English muffin, 1 poached egg or hard boiled egg, 1/4 advocado smashed with sprinkle of salt and pepper. Notice I avoided any time of oil in here.

Snack would be part-skim string cheese with an apple. Maybe handful of almonds with a cup of berries.

I eliminate all processed foods, soda, white rice, white bread and artificial sugar, etc... Google clean diet.

Kylie, that sounds great. I am so bloated right now! I live I. The U.S. but I am from Austraia. I will try this, thanks!

My husband just had gall bladder surgery he looks 9 months pg. And is so uncomfortable he hurts. 2 weeks after surgery he passed out ambulance took to hospital bp dropped started giving him blood 8 units in a week they caint find where coming from are where its going. Please help

Did you try the Digestive Enzymes recommended by others who posted? My doc who does functional medicine (traditional AND holistic) just recommended the enzymes for me due to bloating annd the reflux issue. Keeping my fingers crossed, as it seemed to work for others on this site.

Dear Guest - I was right there with you and fearing the worse. After reading all of these posts, I ate a healthy bowl of cottage cheese with mixed fruit in heavy syrup. I was starving after not eating anything but crackers and ginger ale for five days. I feel fantastic! I think the stress of worrying about what is wrong exacerbates the problem.

I had my surgery 6 days ago and have not had any red meat since before the procedure.  I am not overweight but now look like I am at least 6 months pregnant.  Also, I never had terrible pain, just discomfort near right rib and lots of indigestion.  Unfortunately, even with gallbladder out my symptoms are exactly the same as they were.  I am really upset about discomfort...