vicks on your feet, covered with socks definitely works. my mom has made me do it since i was a kid whenever i had a bad cough of chest congestion. i get through the whole night without coughing.

I have the same problem with any kind of alcohol. I don't sneeze. I only have itching body, between my fingers on both hands from the joint section of my hand, it is getting worse there. Many times, I have bubble between the joint section of my fingers to my hands it look like there is water formation inside the bubble. Once I bust the bubble, I feel relief. I am 46 and I have been like this for over six years now. My question to every body what is your blood type? I think O+ PEOPLE MAY HAVE THEIR IMMUNE SYSTEMS REACT TO SOMETHING THAT IS ABOUT TO HARM THE BODY.

Interesting- I am O+ as well. I always have felt like it is my body trying to protect me. Can others confirm their blood types?

I am a 32 year old caucasian female and use to drink socially all the time until about 2+ yrs ago. I started getting congested and loosing my sense of smell. I now can't smell anything at all. Nothing. Anytime I have a drink of any kind I start sneezing, get congested and feel like c**p. I ended up getting strep throat and the flu all in one shot and was down and out with a fever for 3 days. I got antibiotics and was basically on a broth diet for days. I am not sure if it was the heat from the fever, the fasting or the antibiotics but I got my smell back and kept it for 2 weeks!! I felt better and had a drink because I thought it must have been the antibiotics but honestly, I am not sure now. I am going to start a diet of only meat and veggies and see if it comes back. I know I am tired of having post nasal drip, stuffy sinuses and congestion. And I would love to taste food again.

I am another sufferer for about 10 years now ( I am now 45ish), I find it happens with beer, wine and spirit.  Not predictable, minimum 3 beers, max 6 beers.  The thing that no one else describes is that for me it is a temporary thing:

I sneeze like I am about to die for +-20 mins, then I can carry on drinking without problem.

I too have suffered from this for about 5 years and within 1 drink I get terrible sneezing attacks followed by horrible congestion by the next day I am fine started out with spirits and wine now it is all alcohol, sometimes a corticosteroid nasal steroid helps this if taken well before hand but this is even not working well anymore. I know I probably should just stop alcohol all together but I just want to be able to enjoy a couple of drinks here and there! Does anyone have any thoughts it would be greatly appreciated I mention this to my doc and they don't offer any solution or ideas just don't drink then is what I get. I am allergic to dust mites but that's it and I've tried antihistamines to no avail...... never get hives or anything just an itchy sneezing attack and bad nasal congestion!! Hope someone out there has a remedy!!

I agree. I eat plenty of foods with Gluten and do not have issues. Do you ever find that some times the reaction is worse than others? I have recently been wondering if it has anything to do with what I ate that day?

Hey Paul - Yes same with me. It is almost like a threshold - if I can manage to get through 2 cocktails and ride it out, it will subside. How is that possible? The whole thing is so perplexing.

This has been happening to me for the past several years.  It's awful.  I found some info on a health website and it makes a lot of sense...

Alcohol does not need to pass through the digestive tract in order to be digested; rather, it is absorbed directly into the blood stream. Alcohol is a toxic substance. The body produces a special enzyme in the liver, known as Aldehyde Dehydrogenase (ALDH) enzymes, to break down and oxidize the alcohol in a process that turns the alcoholic substances into acetic acid (vinegar), from which some energy can be obtained.

Some people have malfunctioning ALDH genes. As a result, their bodies produce inactive ALDH enzymes that are unable to properly break down the alcohol into acetic vinegar. This incomplete processing of the alcohol can cause the body to react by producing symptoms that reflect an allergy to the alcohol. People with this gene deficiency suffer two-fold from allergic symptoms to alcohol. First, the body produces histamines in response to the presence of the alcohol that the body is unable to digest. Second, because ALDH is also the enzyme that is supposed to metabolise histamine, people with alcohol allergies suffer from excessive amounts of undigested histamine in their systems, leading to allergy-like symptoms such as nasal congestion and mild flushing immediately upon consuming even minute amounts of alcohol.

Although allergies to alcohol are rare, one of the most common symptoms of an allergy to alcohol is nasal congestion, also known as allergic rhinitis; caused by the inflammatory effect of the histamine produced by the body in response to the presence of alcohol. The histamine causes the blood cells in the nasal region to dilate, resulting in mucus, nasal congestion, sneezing, and a runny nose. However, the severity of these symptoms may vary from person to person.

Some foods are higher in histamines that others. I did have oysters last night, also tomatoes and avocados, a lemon drop and half a glass of red wine... I was on my 6th tissue 20 minutes later.  Horrible. I'm going to start taking Advil Cold and Sinus a few hours before a night out. 

Hi, I am a 50 year old male in the UK and have had a similar alcohol intolerance since I was about 28. I was able to drink all types of alcohol for 10 years before that age. I get the symptoms of runny nose, sneezing and watery eyes. I find wine the worst and whisky the most tolerable - but it still affects me. So I find the grape is worse than the grain. Over the last 22 years I have had three operations for blocked sinuses and polyp removal, and after each one have been better for a year or so (been able to drink some alcohol) but the intolerance returns and I have to lay off it again. I currently use a daily salt rinse and nasal drops, but wish I could really eliminate the problem rather than just living with it. I have been told by the medical profession so many times "never heard of that problem before" so it's good (but also sad) in a way to find a site with some other co-sufferers. Has anyone had any luck with the gluten removal from the diet? Regards Alan

Sounds similar to my history, 3 operations, polyps. I take futicisone 2 shots each nostril twice/day. Still can't drink, but no more polyps and fewer sinus infections.

Rob

Hi - I am a 27 year old woman, and have suffered with these symptoms for over 12 years now.

I have had soooo many doctors appointments in London over the years, and no one has been able to tell me exactly what it is, or how to treat it.

However, I believe it is a YEAST allergy, as Yeast thrives in damp areas (like the nose) and my allergies get worse when I drink fermented drinks (eg wine, champagne and beer) and they are less bad with spirits (which are generally distilled).

Whenever I go on a yeast free diet I find it really helps my allergies - and it's the most effective method I know to stop my daily sneezing.

If you decide to give this a go, it's also important to avoid alcohol and too many sugary foods (as sugar feeds the yeast).

Regular excerise also helps too!

I know this sounds boring - but after a couple of weeks you can slowly reintroduce a small number yeast-y  foods (eg bread) and you'll notice you won't be sneezing at all!

ooh - also, just to make it clear - whenever I drink my symptoms are;

- immediate sneezing
- runny nose
- watery eyes
- loss of smell
- loss of taste
- congested nose

Symptoms can last for days after drinking, and if I also eat yeast-y or sugary foods (eg bread, biscuits, chocolate) then the symptoms don't go away.

Symptoms seem to be worse at night, and first thing in the morning.

Those are my symptoms too. I am going to try a yeast-free diet and see if it helps. I have never noticed any issues with yeast in my diet before, but I am willing to try anything. I will report back! Thanks for the info.

Hi, I am interested that you say you have attended multiple London Doctors, as I am currently an outpatient at Charing Cross ENT clinic as they are supposed to be one of the specialist centres for this in Europe and was wondering if you had ever been pointed in their direction? I was also interested if you or anyone has had a link between this alcohol allergy and the start of asthma? As my asthma started at the same time as my alcohol allergy, but funnily enough after each of my three sinus operations when everything has been under control my asthma has cleared up for a similar period - so it is possibly post nasal drip related.

Regards, Alan