I am a 35 year old female and about 6 months ago I developed the symptoms described by so many people here. I have drunk since I was 18, quite a bit through University and then in my late 20's just really social drinking enjoying a glass of wine or a pint of cider however now if I have a glass of wine my eyes stream, I sneeze and my nose runs like a tap. At first I thought it was just red wine then the same happened with white and now even cider seems to have that effect. Last night I tried a fruit cider to try and mix the drinks but the same happened. I also find the next morning I feel less than 100% even if I have only had one or two drinks the night before. I have been trying to think if anything may triggered my new found 'allergy' I had reduced my alcohol to only weekend/Friday wine over the 6 months prior to my allergy occurring in preparation for a half marathon I ran a couple of weeks ago so I wonder if I have effected my tolerance that way. I also changed my contraceptive and wondered if the hormone change could have effected me - I wonder if anyone else has other similar changes and if they have had an effect?

Finally I am really so grateful to see others posts and know I am not alone. I dont have genetic alcohol intolerance and there are no medical sites I have found that even come close to explaining this and those who say 'lucky you - you have an excuse to give up alcohol' are a little insensitive to the fact that everyone likes the odd drink now and then and forced abstinence is actually quite depressing in modern society.

I work in the medical area so will continue to research and test things on myself but would be keen to hear if others have made break throughs...

Catherine

Hey there I'm 31 and I'm going through the same thing with drinking at the moment. One glass of wine and I'm sneezing like crazy. Ur posts have been very helpful as I worked out some months ago I'm severely allergic to dust mites (had a skin prick test done at the doctor) so I've changed my bedding in particular and been trying to keep the house super clean and it seems to be getting better on all fronts... I also have had a continuous cough for over a year which has subsided and I'm pretty sure was also due to the dust mite allergy as that's gone away since I implemented the sever cleaning regeme. i also wake up sneezing and extremely puffy eyes. Am thinking of switching my carpets for some wood flooring as i didn't have this problem at my old place (had wood floors) but was diagnosed with bogus asthma when I was younger (doctors are idiots) with similar symptoms and had carpet in that house growing up. Anyway hope that helps, sometimes the answer is right in front if u but its hard to work out eh?

Wow!! Thank you. So informative. I am there with you!

Sweetheart. Just stop drinking period.

GSP
i have suffered from this for 2 years now,after a beer.i start sneezing,lose my sense of taste this last for about a day,then gone,had a few beers last nite.same problem.woke up at about 2am,aching body,nausea,sore throat,blocked nose,went to doctors about a year ago,all he said is that i am allergic to some ingredients in alcohol,his advise was stop drinking or put up with it,

I quit drinking 6 years ago while I was pregnant and breast feeding and haven't been able to touch the stuff since. I certainly think it is either a hormonal change or an autoimmune disorder that was triggered by something. I haven't found any remedies or types of alcohol I can tolerate yet.
My intolerance also coincided with the onset of asthma, and I also became intolerant to nsaid pain relievers, but my reaction to these are much more extreme. I have been to several doctors and have no answers, most of them act as if it is no big thing and say things like, there are worse things to have an intolerance to.
I read about and thought about trying a reintroduction, where you start with very small amounts every day, slowly increasing it.
Good luck and if you find anything that works please post and let us know.

Not everyone wants to stop drinking. Being insensitive about peoples health issues is rude and unnecessary.

I find this very interesting as I have samters triad disease and have two surgeries 2 years apart for nasal polyps. If I drink any beer or wine my face goes red and I start sneezing uncontrollably and feel horrible the rest of the day/evening. I am also O+ which I think a few people have mentioned too.

I am wondering if anyone has tried gluten free beer and organic wine/beer and if the same thing happens?

i have the same problem found no answer

Hi all I too share your pain

It started over a pint of Guinness about 10 years ago, developed through all the types of alcohol, now I'm intolerant of dust mites, I have to change bedding Hoover and dust all the time, if I'm going to be drinking I'll take 2 antihistamine I find the regular tesco allergy tablets work best, I think I became too fond of piriton and no longer works.

If I stay off bread and milk products the day I'm drinking it reduces the amount of sneezing ammo, if I start to sneeze while drinking a very strong black coffee helps, I'll sometimes go to hot toddy or brandy in a coffee if larger is becoming an issue.

Stay away from prusseco champagne and fizzy beverages, the most promising drink I can choose is Becks lager as I think it's gluten free.

I hope my research helps I know just how bigger balls this allergy sucks.

Cheers Arran 34 north wales

I am so glad I am not the only one suffering !
At the age of 43, I have just started with streamng eyes and runny nose / sneezing symptons after drinking wine. This was after a weekend of sneezing.
As my dad is a hay fever sufferer, I thought I would investigate further. ALL Alcohol contains histamines, which is why most people suffer hayfever type symptons after drinking. I have cut out rose wine, after a night on cider I have also cut this out. Next stop - white wine............

I have the same issues. Sneezing uncontrollably after 1 or 2 beers. I did stop drinking for over a year. When I resumed it still happens. I have noticed that if I drink more (4+) it subsides and I can continue to party the night away(+/- 20) beers in tandem. However if I have 2, wait until I am sober and restart, the sneezing fit comes again.

I was having this reaction to two glasses of wine, now it is just wine. I sneeze uncontrollably, deep body wracking sneezes, my nose is completely stuffed up and I am using tons of tissues. I feel lousy. I take benedryl and this seems to begin the healing. It is NOT immediate though and I feel exhausted. The next day, I am fine. I am going to try some whiskey in ginger ale and take some pseudophedrine before I drink anything. I have always had a stuffed up nose with wine before, but nothing like THIS. I am a 73 year old caucasian female.

INH A keyword for anyone else like me skimming through this thread. I'm a 31 yr old male hispanic. I was in the military from 19 to 30 yrs of age. At 20 yrs old, in Japan, I tested positive on a PPD test (tuberculosis). I didn't have TB at that time, but may have been exposed to TB at some point in my life. I was prescribed the the usual antibiotic plan (INH) for anyone testing positive on a PPD. I was told not to drink alcohol during this nine month regime. I disregarded the no alcohol rule and this is when my allergy developed. I would sneeze anywhere from five to fifteen times once my influence kicked in. If liquor was involved, I would break out in red rashes on my face and chest. Fast forward a decade...whenever I drink, I sneeze as soon as I feel the buzz coming on. The red spots have shown up only twice in the last 10 years.

I'm a week away from my 33rd birthday. Casually drinking my entire adult life and low and behold, it started with a little congestion after my second beer about a month ago. Then it was a slight runny nose and itchy eyes. It has since turned into a sneezing fit and horrible congestion during beer #2. I've never known this to happen to anyone else.