Just read about sulphites in wine as a preservative which is higher in white wines than red low sulphite wines are available giving up wine is not an option

I have too had the alcohol allergy for a few years now, but recently have noticed the top of my hands start to itch when I am in the sun! I am not sure of my blood type, I have to check

Hi, I just googled "sneezing while drinking" and I came to you. I have an extreme allergy to alcohol, whether I drink a lager, spririts or wine I sneeze uncontrollably and feel I have a severe cold coming on, I am also allergic to perfume, aftershave, air fresheners, you name it I am allergic to any smelly going. I wonder if this is the reason I sneeze with alcohol?

I have the same problem buy I;d like to know what the cause is--

I have this happen to me when I drink white wine and some beers. I dont know what the reason is but it might be to do with preservatives. Try organic wine/beer especially vegan if you have allergies as they don't use seafood and other products in the making process

Hard alcohol started bothering me like this in 2001 and as a result I quit drinking liquors entirely.  Now though I find that beer and wine are doing it as well, especially white wine and craft beers.  It would make me sad to have to give them up as well since I still enjoy good wine or a cold beer especially in summer. 

I was never allergic to anything as a youngster, I did not even get poison oak rashes after touching it, till I was about 23 when I had a bad reaction to penicillin.  Then at 30 became severely allergic to poison oak in spectacular fashion that ended up in the ER.  By 40 I had a head to toe rash and sloughing of skin that lasted for two weeks from sulfa.  It is as if my body is becoming sensitive to more and more things over time. 

There is some debate in the scientific world about the possible role of histamines (a byproduct of fermentation), tannins,  and sulfates, but also some have come to suggest it is the alcohol itself causing the problem.  Alcohol in excess will cause a lot of misery, but I am pretty sure that the majority of us with an intolerance can report this is not the culprit because for instance I can drink one glass of red wine or one glass of white with the same alcohol content on consecutive nights and while the red may or may not cause noticeable cold-like symptoms the white always will.  I have to drink more than two pints of beer to get the same reaction and again some days it is worse than others.  If it were the alcohol, which is chemically the same in all beverages and present in all the beverages, then one would conclude that the reaction should be more or less the same for all alcoholic drinks. 

I have never tried taking antihistamines prior to drinking and wonder if that is a good idea.  I should think combining them would be unwise, and if histamines are not the problem then taking these would not help anyway.  Besides, I used to take Claritin for seasonal allergies (which I developed in a big way in 2006) until I started to have mild convulsions associated with taking it.  I take no other meds except omeprozole (generic for Prilosec) for acid reflux. 

I, too, have an uncontrollable sneezing reaction to all kinds of alcohol if I drink more than one glass of wine (or more than one beer or one mixed drink).  There is a SOLUTION that works for me every time -- ginger.  If I eat some pickled ginger, the sneezing stops within a minute.  Drinking ginger ale works, too.  Has anyone else discovered this cure?

So after yet another episode of getting bad congestion after drinking beer... I googled. I ended up here > ... my reaction doesn't seem as bad as some peoples here, but, there's still a noticeable reaction which only happens with alcohol (namely beer/vodka/whiskey for me). Also, this has only just started to happen in the last six months. Before then I drank without any issues. My quick 30 minutes research concludes that basically my body has too much histamine/or cannot deal process histamine efficiently, and when drinking alcohol (which contains high levels of histamine), my body is having a reaction to having too much at once, and the side effect is a runny/blocked nose, and occasionally itching. The solution, either A) avoid alcohol completely. B) moderate my consumption (so that I do not overload my body with too much histamine at once), thus giving my body time to process the alcohol and (hopefully) avoiding the reaction. So in stead of having a pint of beer, I should be having around a third of a pint an hour (which kind of runs counter to why I actually have a drink in the first place lol). Or I should simply avoid beer completely and stick to spirits and again limit my consumption. Also drinking more water between drinks will aid the alcohol removal process (a bit of a no brainer there really). I'll just chalk this down to yet another growing old pain I'll just have to live with ;0) (male, age 40).

Alan, my reaction to alcohol started right after I was diagnosed with asthma. Asthma just started in the middle of nowhere at 44 yo. I also lost taste of smell and have nasal congestion all the time now. Not sure what to do about this now.

Nate, do you have your taste of smell back? What helped you? I am tired from this constant congestion, sneezing, etc.

Hi, I am a 24year old Caucasian female. I have a history of random allergies since I was about 16. photoptarmosis (sneezing at bright lights/sunshine) dust mites pollen (hay fever all year round) perfume I was a social drinker when I was 18/19 but by my 20th birthday I had a sudden onset of allergy to alcohol. the uncontrollable sneezing, the congestion, red itchy eyes, runny nose and this would last for hours. Any alcohol brings on this reaction (working in bars for years I have tried and tested every type of alcohol possible) with even a few sips sending me into a worldwind of sneezes. In the last year or two I seem to be sneezing daily with no clear cause or stimuli setting me off. I am awakened every morning with a sneezing fit that lasts up to 2hours (similar to when I drink) I am training to be a nurse so carry out placements in hospitals. I struggle with the air conditioning in these hot stuffy hospitals, sneezing uncontrollably and becoming congested within an hour of starting every shift. I am currently awaiting a referral for skin prick testing but I'm not convinced they will be able to tell me what are all these allergens that are trubling me so much. Being T total by the age of 20 was a bit of a shock!

I'm 43 and experiencing the SAME thing! Researching now....

This just started w/ me like 6 months ago after one beer I get violent sneezing & congestion blowing nose there's a ton of flem Ughh? I went thru a small packet of Kleenex at dinner in a restaurant tonight then had to run to bathroom for more toilet paper to blow?? Very weird?

I've drunk heavily since I was 18 (am now 32). Heavily being maybe 100 units or more a week, maybe 200 if I went out on the weekend. Never had a noticeable problem with my nose. I say noticeable because I used to get a very small cut inside my left nostril at the top for a few weeks then it would disappear for months then return. I never put it down to alcohol until a year ago my nose became inflamed and sore to touch as well as the usual small cut. The inflammation went after maybe 2 months but the little cut just won't heal. I get sneezing fits now every now and again. I did a little research and have come to the conclusion that the affliction is Drinker's Nose (inflamed capillaries). An occupational hazard I think.

Yes to your question I have gone a few years without. And with my tolerance gone a half a drink will put me over the edge in a sneezing fit anywhere between 10 to 25 times you can take me 10 to 15 minutes to gain my composure I am not allergic to anything except perhaps ...this not so healthy fluid