I am a 41 year old female. I just decided to google this cause everytime I drink wine or champagne the soles of my feet itch about an hour after drinking. When I was younger I never had this problem. Now I rarely drink. I'll go months without drinking and decide to have a glass or two of wine. I really didn't think much of it but it happens every time. Its good to know I'm not the only one.

Alan, your condition sounds very similar to mine. I've only had nasal polyps removed once thus far but could benefit from it again. How long ago was your last surgery? It has been two years since my last surgery. I was hopeful that the second surgery would do better since I've stopped smoking. I'm in my 30's and I sneeze uncontrollably after half of a beer, not even a glass of wine and half of a glass of Champagne. I use to drink every weekend for a few years. Now, I've developed an allergy to Ibuprofen (which I didn't think was possible) and now apparently alcohol. I'm a nurse and didn't think it was possible for someone to be allergic to alcohol but now see things a little differently. My asthma began after my first polyp removal and about a year and a half to two years after stopping my every weekend drinking days. Now I can't enjoyably have a beer with my friends.

Hi Ron, yes your condition sounds similar to mine, apart from I am ok with Ibruprofen. My operations (3 so far) to remove polyps have been approximately 6 years apart, and the last one done at Charing Cross gave me relief for a good 2+ years when I could then enjoy a few drinks and also my chest was much better, but unfortunately the polyps returned and so did the intolerance to alcohol. The NHS understandably don't seem keen to operate too often, and would prefer people use steroid drops to try and control the condition, but although I find nasal drops help, it never is the real answer. Have you looked into trying to improve this by a controlled diet? I did try a dairy free diet many years back for about a year but it made no difference. I would be interested if anyone with this condition has tried a yeast or gluten free diet and seen any improvement? Cheers

Im a alcoholic and have noticed after several beers I start to sneeze i'm not sure it is from drinking .I don't drink the hard stuff. My mom is a RN and told me it is from alcohol I find it hard to believe?

I just poured myself a glass of wine and immediately following the first sip I was sneezing. I've taken a few more sips and now I'm congested. I noticed this a few months back but decided to Google my symptoms because I thought I was crazy to think I was having an allergic reaction to wine. It's nice to see that it is not just me.

I just turned 36 and I started developing horrible allergies about two years ago. I like a small glass of wine before bed several nights a week but I always feel horrible afterwards. My allergies seem to just get worse with each season. The moment I put on perfume I know I need to grab some tissue. I don't think its gluten but it is definitely something. Waking up is the worst part of my day because I know I'm going to start off sneezing until I get lightheaded.

I've been a heavy drinker for the past three years - 1/2 pint vodka per evening.  For the last four nights, when I have a drink, my eyes swell shut, my nose runs, sneezing fits, and my face gets very itchy.  It is so uncomfortable and no pills have helped.  Last night, no alcohol, and this morning, no reaction.

I know from reading up on it that my body has developed a sudden allergy to alcohol.

Frankly I'm a little relieved.  I had been having a very difficult time stopping drinking just because "it's bad for me".  With this new allergy, I don't WANT to drink anymore because it's so awful.  The bad outweighs the good.

With these negative associations I think I will be able to abstain without too much of a problem from now on. 

I'm grateful to whoever/whatever decided to make me allergic.

I actually starting coughing deeping and sometimes violently after drinking any type of alcohol. I already have allergy problems (unknown allergen(s)), and last year I became allergic to something in toothpaste - this year alcohol (so it seems). I have been to allergists, internists, a pulmonary doctor, and a blood doctor. Nothing seems to be wrong with me, but I'm taking all kinds of allergy medicine to keep whatever it is at bay. Drinking alcohol now makes me cough and have an extremely runny nose.

I also sneeze uncontrollably when I drink beer, and some kinds of liquors. I don't drink wine so beer has been the worst for me. It's strange because I can't figure out which liquors I can and can't have. One night I drank only Jameson and ginger ale, no problem. Another night I drank 3 olives vodka and redbull, major sneezing reaction. I don't seem to have any reaction when I stick to Monopolova which is a potato vodka, not a grain based vodka. There are also grape (Ciroc) and corn (Titos) based vodkas. Titos, I can't tell yet if there is no reaction or just a milder reaction, I haven't tried Ciroc since I first noticed my allergy about a year ago, I'm almost 23. In high school however, I did notice on occasion that I sneezed after my first bite into a bread product, usually at breakfast or lunch (my first bread of the day). Really weird. I don't get red faced or nauseated. Just uncontrollable sneezes and congestion. Usually lasts through the next morning. 

I hope this post makes less people feel alone. I felt alone in this for along time. I still feel like an inconvenience and a pariah because of my weird and unknown allergy. At least we're not alone.

Does anyone have a post nasal drip and a cough that comes up from the chest and produces mucus? My congestion starts slowly and then builds. When I wake up in the morning, I feel as tho I've smoked a whole pack of cigs in one evening. This las time I also woke up witha stomach ache that isjust now subsiding after 3 days.

Interesting. I am also O+ & social drinker
Sudden triggered allergic to alcohol
No sneezing. Only itching rashes, starting from armpits.
Started when oyster/sushi and beer were taken
Repeated when only beer is taken
And again repeated when tried vodka

By mistake I voted against this post. In fact I wanted to appreciate it as I am in the same boat
my comments are below:
Sudden triggered allergic to alcohol
Repeated when only beer is taken
And again repeated when tried vodka

I am yet another late-onset sufferer (39yrs old, started a few yrs ago), the main & most debilitating cause is wine, due to this i googled & found the following article;

***post is edited by moderator *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

So glad to hear that I am not alone with this!!! I actually have sneezing fits  just randomly everyday. First thing I do when i wake up, for about 5minutes straight, extremely annoying!!! Can't drink alcohol, just get a runny nose, sneezing & wheezy, its not worth it. I started to take a couple of antihistamines and had food with alcohol and the symptoms don't seem to be as bad but doesnt always work. Just a real shame there seems to be no cure! :(

It is so good ?!? to know there are others with this problem.  Out of the blue about six months ago I started sneezing after drinking wine and it goes on the whole night after that, keeping me awake to blow my nose which runs constantly!  I have had Beer without this reaction, but I don't like beer, so I won't substitute, and do not like hard liquor.  what this has resulted in is I just don't drink at all any more.  My whole grownup life I have enjoyed a glass of wine with dinner and had no problems until now, and I am in my 70's.  Nothing else gives me an allergic reaction, and the reaction of those allergic to sulfites are usually headaches, itchiness, rashes, etc., not this sneezing - I will try the "take medication first" route, but am about to just quit drinking entirely, which does NOT please me at all.

SOLVED: For me that is :-D.  40 year old male who mostly drinks at the weekends, and about 4 years ago the symptoms started - the next morning after drinking i would wake up with a blocked nose, which would last until about 5pm. I would mostly drink bourbon with diet lemonade, sometimes I'd have a night on red wine.  Here is what i did, stopped drinking wine, and cut out all carbonated drinks - I now shake the fizz out of my bottle of lemonade and mix this with my bourbon, also no carbonated drinks in the week (never drank them anyway). The first weekend I tried doing this I still had a blocked nose, the next weekend, I was fine - It seemed to take a week without touching a fizzy drink for it to work - 5 weeks on... I'm great :-D

Hope this helps someone.

Happy drinking!!!