I've been going through the exact reaction for over a year (three allergists, one pulmonologist, one hemotologist, one internal medical doctor, and two ENT'S). I have been told I have non-something rhinitis, but no known allergies. I have also been told I have asthma, and I have been told I don't have asthma. Next month I go to a rheumatologist to see if I have lupus. I don't know why my sinuses go berserk, but drinking can make it worse, but then again I can have a coughing fit talking on the phone. Good luck to all of you.

Been living with this for a looong time now.  Here are my observations:

For me, it's seasonal.  There are some morning, even when I do not drink, I will be very congested.  Springtime is a guaranteed bad time to be drinking.  My theory is, I have allergies.  To pollen, alcohol, etc.  Sometimes I do okay with them and other times they hit me when it is a perfect storm.  For example, I can drink like a fish when it's been raining for a while...but when those flowers bloom I have to put the brakes on.That said, plain old antihistamines clear me up right away...but that means that antihistamines + liquor = sleepy no fun me.  SOOOO...I take literally a 1/4 of an antihistamine an hour or two before I go out.  Make sure you don't drive and don't plan on drinking a ton.  You will still get the buzz.

I have noticed that when my girlfriend (f/w/ late 40's) over 'imbibes' on alcohol she will at some point begin to continually sneeze, 30-40 times. She does have some seasonal allergies but believe me, one too many vodka martini's and it's time to get the Kleenex ready. Never saw her have these fits when she has not drank.  

I was just here lurking, trying to find if anyone else had this problem and had any solutions to it. Then I saw your post, I am also O+ as well. This is too weird. As with almost everyone here, my symptoms were sudden. If I drink anything I immediately start sneezing and and have a runny nose for the rest of the night, and some lingering symptoms in the morning. I have had 2 sinus surgeries in the past. Sever polyps blocking all of my nasal cavities, along with a 2 benign tumors.

Saying 'My parents will be disappointed at Thanksgiving.' is the most desperate thing you could say.... because we all know there isn't really a set of parents on the planet who would be upset their child couldn't drink alcohol ESPECIALLY when it causes you an allergic reaction.  (If that were my child's case i probably wouldn't even mention it all together)   ....  The only thing i can assume is that you drink way more than occasionally and have been doing it since way before 21.  It is common for people who consume Alcohol regularly to eventually develop allergies.... it's your bodies way of saying it's had enough.  Which means.... No, there isn't a way around it.  Say good bye to your 'occasional' glass of wine.... I don't see why that would be a big deal anyways?

My intolerance to alcohol happened when I was visiting a friend who has cats (I am allergic to cats).  I had a couple of glasses of wine at dinner then went to bed and woke up with terrible itchy eyes and a bad itchy rash on one side of my neck. My eyes were so puffy I could barely open them. A week later my daughter in laws father, who is a doctor, gave me an allergy shot and my eyes improved immediately. However, it has taken 6 months for the neck rash to go away and I still have a patch that moved to the back of my neck but is now much smaller.  Tonight I went out with my daughter and had a margarita for the first time in 5 months.  About 15 minutes after the last sip I started having bouts of sneezing and thought I only had one drink, I felt really tired and tipsy.  I went home and my eyes started itching and swelling and the back of my neck is flaring up and itching as well.

What helped me was 2 things - a homeopathic antihistamine and an enzyme.  Enzymes help break down things we need to filter in our body and they have helped me in the past with digestive issues and also solved a minor eczema problem.  I have also heard drinking a glass of milk to coat the stomach helps with alcohol consumption but if you're allergic to dairy of course don't do that.

I'm not a doctor but personal experience has shown the enzymes (Whole Foods - Advanced) to be very helpful.  I would typically take 1 or 2 before eating spicy food, drinking or eating dairy (all things I have trouble digesting)... tonight I ordered a drink to see what would happen which ended miserably but I will try again next weekend with first taking the enzyme and see what happens.  Bummer going into the holidays!  

Someone mentioned being O+  Odd I am O+ as well. hmmm wonder if any studies have been done on this.

I was always able to drink alcohol casually, including wine.  At around age 55 I went out one night and ordered wine with dinner.  I got a terrible stuffiness in my sinuses, runny nose, and wheezing.  I attributed it to the restaurant or the food.  A few weeks later I tried a different wine and realized it was wine causing the issue.  I tried white, red, blush, low sulfite, you name it and I had same reaction.  I started drinking pina coladas and had little problem and then it seemed all alcohol was causing the same symptoms.  I couldn't drink pina coladas or rum and coke or anything.  I told my allergist and he said people develop allergies and I have a million other allergies so he blew it off.  Now I cannot drink anything.  I also developed a sun allergy around the same time.  When I go in the sun without sunscreen within minutes I am red and itchy all over areas that are exposed especially tops of feet, hands, arms and legs.  Pretty much anything that the sun shines on.  I don't know if this is all related to other unrelated health issues I have but I don't think so.  I have burning feet even though they are cold to the touch.  I get some twitching as well in various places like a jumping nerve or muscle.  Not an eyelid jumping but a muscle in leg or foot or arm or even back or chest.  It's very annoying.  Anyone experience any of these things together with the alcohol intolerance? 

I also started having this problem. It turned out I have polyps in my nose. They gave me cortisone tablets to reduce the polyps so I can have surgery. When I take the cortisone I can drink and no problems at all. This is the 3rd time I've had polyps and everytime they come back I have a problem with alcohol so I know that it's time to back to the nose doctor..

Have had this problem for many years when I have any type of alcohol, tried them all to see if any differance to no avail, I go to sleep then wake about 2/3/4 with total nasal congestion and am then awake there after. Seen docs and ent they just say don't drink but it's not that easy if you have a social life. Fingers crossed I have found a bit of relief that has got me through till the morning without any problems so far tried 4 times is taking a piriteze tablet before going to bed hope this helps someone as I know how bad it is and docs brush it under carpet.

Hello, I am a 47 year old male I have drank all kinds if scotch and whiskey, single malt, blended scotch, bourbon, you name it. Just a few days ago I had some Crown Royal Maple and within minutes my nose was stopped up, my throat felt as though it was swelling, I could hardly breath. I took a hauls cough drop and it seemed to at least give me comfort for a short time. The next day my throat still felt funny and when I tried to have a drink it happened all over again however, my wife suggested that I drink some tea and to my surprise it seemed to clear up my allergy lie symptoms. The tea was called monkey oolong tea.

I LOVEEEEEEEE wine, but I don't think it loves me. I am a 43 yo, caucasian female. I was born and raised (and still live) in central Texas. The airborne allergies here are unreal, so I've dealt with them my entire life. I started my love affair with wine around the age of 35. A few years ago, my then boyfriend also noticed that I seemed to get congested and start sneezing almost immediately after drinking my 1st glass of wine. We watched to see if it was a coincidence but night after night, I had the same issue. I refuse to believe I am "allergic" to my precious wine. He's long gone, but the issue's still here. I refuse to give up my wine. However, I have noticed that some wines give me a more violent reaction than others. Has anyone else noticed this? 

It's probably the sulfites in the wine that is causing the reaction.

I have been drinking Monopolova pretty much exclusively and I had wine instead last night and rum the night prior. I have been itchy alot and figured it was just this harsh winter. I did not itch the past few nights and had my vodka tonight and I am all itchy again! Go figure!

I'm sixty two and I have noticed I have started sneezing when I drink wine or rum but it seems to get worse when I mix the two I don't know if this is an age thing but once I blow my nose a few times I'm ok again. Although not a big drinker I enjoy a glass of wine or two so it won't put me off