My lip swelling went away when I stopped using regular toothpaste.  I know that I have an intolerance for sulfites and sulfates in food, and for chemical sweeteners of any kind, and I noticed that my toothpaste did have a chemical sweetener.  I have since found two toothpastes that do not:  Biotene, which can be found at a lot of mainstream stores, and Tates, which I buy from a local health food store.  I have had not lip swelling since switching toothpastes.  When these chemicals appear in foods that I mistakenly eat, I get migraines.  

story of my life..... notice that I get extremely depressed about it. Don't know if it is a symptom or a cause.

I am 14 and i just woke up with a huge upper lip, my parents arent home and i cant find any benadryl what do i do?

wife has simular problem upper lip, rashes itchy hands, they all developed after back surgury then came on big time week after gulblatter removed, she was in the emergency room once a week for a month. last night on tv show royal pain lady had alike symptons. they said related to stress and common after surgerys, and they called it quichy or quinci dont know the spelling but sounded like this so we have a call into the doctor, she [my wife] also gets rashes that what one doctor said looked like chemical burns, ill keep you posted

This is the first time that my lip has swollen and I am freaking out I don't k ow where it came from or anythig

Hello, I too have been going through the same issues.  One day my bottom left side of my lip doubles or triples in size and stays that way for hours unless  I benadryl it.  Then other occassions it will start on one side of my lip and slowly travel around to the upper lip almost in a clockwork fashion and sometime one of my eyes is affected.  From all the research and medical professionals i deal with it seems that I have Herpes Zoster (Shingles).  And hives are a mutation or variant of shingles.  So my Doctor prescribed to me Valtrex for the shingles and Benadryl for the lip and eye swelling.  My wife has Epstein's Bar which is a form of Herpes as well, and she too has similar issues.

my five year old son has been having swollen lips for the past 3 years we are seeing the doctors but nothing known as yet , nut last week my son ended up in hospital with sickness and sore throat  and his lip was swollen again we are about to go back for bloods to be taken but they have said its a long shoot its as if his body shuts down because it cant cope and his lip swells with this x

Well, the left-hand side of my upper lip just swelled up this morning and I have no idea how. Ive read that it could have been a high intake of sodium. And I did happen to finish off a bag of doritos. No I'm not fat. I'm a 16 year old teenager with a very high metabolism and I go to my community gym about every other day. I also have braces. Ive been wondering if the inside of my lip sliding against my braces could have triggered the swelling. Ive been drinking a lot of water after I saw the swollen area and I took an allergy pill just to be safe. The swelling has gone down a little but not 100%. I'm not sexually active so I know for sure that I don't have herpes.

I've had this problem for about 5 + years. My bottom lip starts to swell, usually in the middle of the night, starting on one size and working its way over. The swelling can last days if untreated and moves to different areas of my face (lips, jaw, tongue, eyelids) and even happens in my arms, hands and bottoms of my feet. I've been to a few doctors about this problem, most recently an allergist who herself has the same problem. She told me it can occur due to stress or a weak immune system, which made total sense for me. At the time I was a smoker and would often have swelling issues. In the last few years I have quit and only seem to swell when I'm sick with a cold or not feeling well. For times when u do swell I take Allegra, sometimes a few doses are needed to knock it out completely. My best advice is to eat healthy, keep your immune system strong and stock a good antihistamine for times of need!

She's doing cocaine

I started to have this problem I'm very scared of what might happen to me it feels ichy it is very big and stiff some one respond to me please!

I've been tested for stds and they all come back negative! It is not herpes - I have allergies and acne and my doctor believes it is related to both!

The sinus sounds correct - draining thru the lip AREA. Vibrations will make more fluid drain! A cell phone vibrates at a high frequency - in the GHz. No cell phone, use a NETI POT!

Your description of symptoms fits me to a tee... the first time this swelling lip occurred, I had taken a prescription of amoxicillin...and the doctors told me to stop....now a month later out of the blue...the swelling recurred just like when I was on the prescription. Any one else experience the recurrence with amoxicillan?

My daughter has had issues with her lips, eyes, and ears swelling for the last couple of years. She also goes through spells where she will start itching really bad and get hives all over her body. We have taken her to an allergist and they have done tons of blood work but they cannot figure out what is going on. We have tried not using perfumes and tried free and clear detergents but the hives keep coming back. She takes lots of medicine to keep from getting them but they come back. It is very frustrating to see your daughter go through something like this and not be able to fix it. 

Does anybody have suggestions on the next step to take to get help?