Thank you to whoever posted about getting checked for the herpes virus if you have lip and eye swelling. My husband was having a problem with this and had a blood test that came back for the herpes virus, not the sexual kind! If I hadn't found this website and read the posts and had my hubby tell the doctor what I had read, we may have never figured it out.

Thanks!

Carol

In my last post I thought we had this thing figured out as being herpes simplex virus, but what we have learned since...The blood test that came back positive for the herpes virus (the facial swelling kind) just means that at some point my husband was exposed to it, could have been when he was a child. 8 out of ten people test positive for this. What we are now leaning towards is angiodema and hives. There are many good articles on these conditions on the net. Unfortunately the cause is sometimes never known, and the treatment is antihistamines, that may help some. We have since started keeping a journal of what he did, felt, ate, etc. when the swelling occurs to see if we can find any kind of link, but we may never know! We also read that it may last for a period of time and then be gone as fast as it came. If we have anymore news I will post it. Good-luck!

Carol

I’m experiencing these same lip swellings, but mine occur mostly during sleep. I would go to sleep, then wake up with either a swollen lip (always the top one) or a swollen top eye lid (always just one eye) or occasionally swelling of my cheeks (happens rarely). So in short my swelling normally occurs at the break of dawn. All the swelling is normally preceded by instance itching prior to outbreak. I’ve paid careful attention to both my diet and environment and have found no discernable pattern to this. All the doctors I’ve visited simply made it off as allergies, but I’ve NEVER heard of any allergy that is so specific. I have a bridge spanning my upper front teeth and have had this checked to see if I’m not maybe allergic to the metal bracer backing the bridge (the black part); dentist told me if I was allergic to it then I would have constant swelling from it. When the swelling first occurred it only lasted about 2 hours, but I’ve lately given up on waiting after a full 24 hours, taking anti-histamines normally takes cares of it in about an hour, sometimes up to three. I’ve even checked blooming patterns of the plants in my area, no luck either. Will look into the herpes thing, but doubt it’s that. I would sooooooo appreciate any advice or relevant postings. p.s. I’m a 24 year old Caucasian male from South Africa.

Have you asked your doctors about hereditary angio-edema? Especially if you have isolated lip swelling and not other allergic type symptoms (itching, runny nose, watery eyes).

Felt the need to respond the post from April 17. There are eight types of herpes virus that make up herpes simplex. Herpes Simplex Type 1 (i.e. cold sores) is not contracted through having sex. That's (Genital) Herpes Simplex Type 2.
Don't worry, this daughter and monogamous couples likely aren't lying. Cold sores usually involve pain, blistering, and some signs of an open sore or lumps rather than just swelling, and can emerge at any time. They usually take more than a few minutes or hours to disappear.

I am amazed to read these stories. Because myself and my 9 year old daughter are going through these exact same symptoms. It started with myself,everynight around midnight i would have some type of facial swelling. Usually by bottom lip. My lip was HUGH! Nothing like i have ever seen before. This happened every single night for 6 months straight! This affected every part of my life, my job my home life and everything else. I went to every doctor possible.. I was tested for everything and no one had an explaination could be given. I was told that my iron level was very low and needed a infusion. The hemotologist said that this had absolutly nothing to do with my swelling but it was something that was needed.. After my infusion i have never swollen since, but sadly to say my 9 yr old daughter is going through the same thing but more extensive swelling. Its always one eye, one side of her lip, her check.. her swelling will happen anytime of the day for no apparent reason. She has a hard time when it happens at school. We have had her tested for everything! her iron levels are normal so in infusion is not needed in her case.. If anyone has and suggestions for me please help! Thank you

There is a bad flu going around. Yesterday, my voice was a bit horse and I sometimes had a runny nose. I took an Alegra-D tab for the drippy nose yesterday. I then partied last night with friends and drank more than usual.

First thing this morning, I described my fitfull, dream-filled sleep last night to a friend. I remember at least one interruption from a itchy skin episode.

I found this thread tonight after a whole day of appearing and disappering itchy skin welts that look like misquito bites and partial lip swelling. The lip swelling started as a tingling in the left side of the lower lip before it tripled in size. After about 4 hours, the left side of the top lip joined in. Then, the rest of both lips joined the party. Now, a inner right eyelid is swelling too.

Worried about where this progression might lead, I decided to do a lot of online research. My research found mentions of Alegra-D causing insomnia and even that alcohol greatly exhagurates the side effects.

Over and over here, I read of people with the same symptoms with a total lack of real diagonsis by professionals and negative allergy tests. The following link may not help me (I suspect that the Alegra-D is not a coincidence), but this may be of GREAT help to many. The food intolerance idea explains the negative allergy tests. Check it out.

http://www.talkallergy.com/webpages/features/feature_food_allergy_intolerance.htm

Good luck to you and wish me luck as well.

Although I suspect that the Alegra-D is more than a conincidence, I also feel that the flu attack may have acted as an immune reaction trigger and made me more succeptable to a slight food intolerance. I will closely monitor my diet now.

check out Angioedema - I have it ... can be severe, it's a food allergy. I am allergic to preservatives in food, peel your apples as they are sprayed with pesticides and some crazy thing sprayed on them to look shiny etc. It's impossible to detect a specific preservative. I have an allergy to hot dogs, sausage, chips with flavour coatings, pre-pkged powders mixed into foods for flavour, MSG, pretty much the stuff you can't pronounce on the ingredient lists are junk, chemicals etc. Garbage. I eat organic foods now. I've had major lip swelling, tongue swelling, eyes, hives, throat swelling ... more and more people are acquiring allergies now a days. Also I'm allergic to chocolate, citrus fruits, any candy suck as lollipops - anything with colour. It's tough to live with. My symptoms usually occur between 4-8 hours after I've ingested the food - does not usually show up right away so it makes it difficult to pinpoint. Sometimes it happens about 2 hours afterward. I carry epi-pens with me, take Benedryl and also Reactine (non drowsy). Found out I'm also allergic to aspirin, acetominphine. I also get hives from antibiotics. It's crazy but not uncommon now.
Hope this helps. Look up Angioedema ... it's very interesting and important you find out what it is you are allergi to. It could start off as lip swelling, eye swelling, hives ... and just get worse over time.
Take care!

I have finally found out what it is for me. I found out a few years ago that I'm allergic to shell fish. But, even when I didn't have any seafood at all, I would have swollen lips by morning or within 15 min. of eating some foods. The culprit is still seafood. I found I was swelling every time I ate frozen packaged foods from Trader Joe's. Upon reading the ingredients list I found they process the foods in a plant that processes seafood also. That was the only common link. I carefully read every ingredient in the labels now. I even swelled up once from accidentally using my cutting board designated for fish to cut up some pork. sheesh. what sensitivity. hope this helps.

I was partially misdiagnosed with a localized hive when my upper lip swelled to more than 3 times its normal size. Turns out ace inhibitors are known to cause angioedema. Look it up on the web!

This also happened to me and it was around 9PM also...though I believe that's just a coincidence.

It could be the Oak Leaf Gall Mite (Google it)...my friend had an egg sized swelling under her eye, thought it was a spider bite and was told about these mites by her doctor. They aren't just on Oak leaves and they've recently spread to Illinois. You can't see them or feel them when they bite, but they trigger an allergic reaction.

About three weeks ago, my forearms started to break out in itching welts while I was cooking. I took a benadryl, and by morning, was covered in hives from head to toe!
I went to my physician, and he prescribed famotidine (pepsid) as a histimine blocker, a steroid pack, and anti-itch pills. I was miserable! I felt swollen, tired, dizzy, nausous, and wanting nothing more than to feel better. Well, the next morning, I seemed to be cured, but kept on with the medication for the six days, as I was told.
Only just under three weeks later, I started to break out in hives again, just before bed. I took a pepsid and benadryl and went to bed. In the morning, I was fine, except for some faint pink patches where the hives had been the night before.
Well, the next day (Yesterday), I was covered in hives again! The benadryl did nothing to help, the pepsid did nothing, and this morning, my upper lip makes me look like a stunt double for Daisy Duck!

I've scoured the house and my room for anything different that could have set me off, but I can't find anything. I've not eaten anything out of my usual routine, and I'm just stumped.

My right cheek is now starting to swell as well, and if this isn't misery, I dont know what is!

Please help!

im 17 and i woke up with a swollen upper lip as morning as well.

I used to wake up with a crazy huge swollen upper lip, sometimes lower lip and sometimes around my eyes... No one ever could figure out why.. But they did find out I have a big Iron deficiency.. and as soon as I started taking Iron Supplements... I have never had the swelling problem again. I hope that helps some others out there.. if you have lip swelling have your iron tested !!!