This happened to me when I was in high school. It was random, had quick onset, sometimes the swelling would travel from my eye to my nose, or from my nose to my lip.

It freaked me out the first time. Then it happened about 20 times while I was in High School.

My eye would get so big I would stay home from school. I went to Doctors, they said allergies.....but I hadn't done anything different.

It just went away....I'm 39 now, and it hasn't happened since I was about 15.

JUST WEIRD!!

hi i also suffered this problem in UK many times Actually I am indian origin In India its called Cool acidity
It happenes due to acidity and its one type of acidity which can be recovered by Kokam Juce or soup
Doctor told me it happenes due to dry skin also

I too have the same almost instant swelling that starts usually on one side but seems to move around, never any higher than the skin between my nose and lip, always my upper lip and usually 1-12 hours in duration. This only happens every few months and sometimes I go for what seems to be over a year without any problems, but once it happens, it seems to be intermittent lasting just under a week, and then as quickly as it appears it goes away again. You did a much better job of describing the feeling than I did (Novocaine), the only way I could think to explain it is that it feels as though I have a parasite in my face slowly moving through my lip and then going back to where ever it came from I know that makes me sound as though I'm writing this from a padded cell but... Anyway for a long time it appeared to be related in some way to yeast, it seemed every time I would drink (usually darker colored) beer from the bottle, within two days it would show up. I can't say with certainty that it is or isn't herpes, but I do have what appear to be cold-sores occasionally but never in tandem with this mysterious swelling. If anyone gets to the bottom of this please let me know...

I almost started crying when I read this... I am in the exact same boat. I am a 27 year old female experiencing hives everyday when I wake up. I take a daily antihistamine just to relieve a little of the itching. At least once a week sometime more I get swollen lips. sometimes my bottom, sometimes the top and sometimes just one side or the other but almost ALWAYS in the evening. At times my throat will swell making breathing difficult but antihistamines never decrease the swelling... I just have to be patient.

My thyroid tests were normal and I am not allergic to anything. Im so beyond frustrated. The last 3 months of my life have been horrible. I really hope you have found out something.

Well at least I am not alone! We are triplets ladies, only I am 11 years older than you two, everything you both just said-all the symptoms, I have them. I go see an allergist next week, as hives haunt me daily and my lip has swollen 3 times in the last week! I was told to go to the ER next time it swells, part of me wonders-if I go to the ER, perhaps someone there will do something that will stop everything (hives and lip swelling) for good?! Doubt it! I am under a lot of stress with work, going to school FT and caring for my elderly parents, my daughter, and husband (TG for my husband!). Anyway-let's pray for a miracle, this is torture!

My 13 yr old daughter ate noodles and then 2 hours later had a fat upper lip.
She has never had chicken pox or been exposed to herpes.

I had the "Swollen upper Lip" problem for the last 3 years now, just the upper lip and like most of you, no real pain, just swollen.
It takes about 12 hours for it to go away.

At first I was able to link all the occurrences to eating or direct contact (with my lip) to jalapeno peppers, but only the raw pepper or its oil (not pickled or cooked). The first this happen I was eating jalapeno flavor potato chips, 2nd time was Korean soup with Jalapeno slices on top of the soup. 3rd. it was a stuff jalapeno appetizer at a Xmas party (had to leave the party early... ) Since the onset happens so quickly, I was clearly able to link all these to the peppers, but the last two time was out of nowhere...interesting observation about the night time only occurrence by some of you, my where also all at night...

Jalapeno Peppers??? Can anyone link their swollen upper lip to eating hot peppers??? I know some of you mention eating noodles, where there hot sauce involve?

Can anyone link their swollen upper lip to eating hot pepper or hot sauce?

My swollen upper lip problem started about 3 years ago. Like most of you, when this happens, there is no real pain, just swelling of the upper lip. The first 3 times were clearly related to Jalapeno peppers (raw or its oil). Since the onset happens so quickly, it was easy to pin point what I was reacting to...but the last 2 times was out of no where. Interesting observation by some of you that it only happens at night, my too only happens at night (about 1/2 dozen times now). Anyone with experience with hot peppers or hot sauce? someone mentioned swelling up after eating noodles, were the noodles eaten with hot sauce? Thanks for keeping this post going, this problem is drive me nuts...my doctor don't know what this is either.

My swollen upper lip problem started about 3 years ago. Like most of you, when this happens, there is no real pain, just swelling of the upper lip. The first 3 times were clearly related to Jalapeno peppers (raw or its oil). Since the onset happens so quickly, it was easy to pin point what I was reacting to...but the last 2 times was out of no where. Interesting observation by some of you that it only happens at night, my too only happens at night (about 1/2 dozen times now). Anyone with experience with hot peppers or hot sauce? someone mentioned swelling up after eating noodles, were the noodles eaten with hot sauce? Thanks for keeping this post going, this problem is drive me nut...my doctor don't know what this is either.

Someone is suggesting that my 3-year-old son has herpes? I find that highly unlikely. Yet his upper lip is swollen and there is no history of herpes in my family. Did anyone else think it could be linked to fever?

I don't think fever has anything to do with it, I have not yet come across any account of anyone with fever when their symptom occurred. As for herpes, the symptoms are very different, people who has never seen the symptoms of the swollen upper lip assume its herpes, but it is not. So far, I can only linked two possible things to my swollen upper lip problem, first 3 times was raw chili peppers (direct contact, not a digestion allergy) , and last 2 times was excess amount of salt eaten (or dehydration).

I don't think this is herpes. I have been getting this a couple times a year since I was 14, and I didn't have any sexual contact until a few years after that. I saw a doctor who sent me to an allergist. He couldn't figure out what the problem was, but he told me that it is a contact allergy -- some people get allergic reactions to certain types of food the same way that other people get itching and swelling from poison ivy. The swelling will appear a day or two after the contact. Try to map out any dietary patterns.

This happened to me and guess what, further testing and I was diagnosed with Celiac disease. Ask your doctor to do a blood panel and test for wheat and gluten allergies! If you have them, cut wheat and gluten from your diet and you will feel much better!

I tried cooking with jalepeno peppers for the first time steaming it with fish and that's exactly what happened...my upper lip became swollen-not a whole lot but it's noticeable to me. Unfortunately, I ate from the dish on two occasions before pinpointing the cause.

I thought at first I was dehydrated because my upper lip was so dry but the constant underlying burning sensation made me think of what was new to my diet...the peppers! Will not be trying that again. Pickled peppers are fine so it has to be the oils.