i'm 14 and its happened too me all the time. i thought it was a mild case of a cold sore but turns out its not a cold sore at all.
but from what i've tried garlic woks the best. it reduces the swelling in a day.

I have a swollen right bottom lip and the right gland is also swollen. It hurts super bad, i have to take vicoden to get to sleep at night, the doctor i went to has no idea wat it is. if you know anything that mite help let me know please :-(

I am so glad i found this website! the same thing is happening to me! my bottom lip swells three times it's size. This has happened 7 times within 6 months!. It all started after i came back from vacation in Boston. Nothing i have done or ate was out of the norm and everytime it happens, im eating something totally different. I take benadryl and zyrtec. It takes about 2-3 doses for my lips to get back to normal. At first i thought i was allergic to my bed or detergent because it always happens late at night, but i changed the detergent and sheets and i disinfected the mattress, so i ruled that out. At times, depending on how long i take to take the bendadryl, my eyes and right cheek swell up. As i speak, my bottom lip is swollen and i am itching all over! I also have uncontrollable sneezing. I dont know what to do! Im sick of pumping my self with medication. I want a diagnosis and a definate solution. Someone please help...should i go to the emergency room?

I take 50mg of benadryl and 2 pepcid stops the swelling faster [ the allergist suggested this ] but still don't know why it is happening!!!!!

HOPEFULLY FIGURED THIS OUT ONCE AND FOR ALL!

This is so weird I can't beleive I actually found this website, everyone looks at me weird when I have an outbreak with my lips b/c they've never seen anything like it before and I began to think I was the only one! I am 25 yrs old and have had this problem on and off since I was 12. I went to many specialist when it first started happening and got tested for many things and I wasn't allergic to anything. At one point they thought it was the small amount of mercury in my fillings so I had them all replaced...but it wasn't...the reaction s will go away for years at a time for me then out of the blue I'll get them one night and after that first night I continue to get reactions for weeks/months sometimes. sometimes it will go away for a whole week then come back or i'll get them every night of the entire week, theres no telling. I've written journals of my diet and other things I've come into contact with and can find no common denominator. It's mind boggling. This last time i've got them though it sometimes starts off with bad heartburn which is new and then the usual swollen lips and hives sometimes. After all the research i've done on it and my mom who has been a RN for over 25 years recently concluded it is related to acidicity in the stomache. I will be testing medicines that treat this and let everyone know. B/c as of now i'm just like everyone else "just taking benadryl" sucks when you get the reaction late at night and have to take a dose you wake up feeling like a train ran you over in your sleep!! It's always great going to work with a lip that looks like the nutty proffesor and feeling like you've been out drinking all night. I sympathise with all the younger kids who get this b/c kids can say some real nasty things to each other w/o thinking. Just know your not the only one and that they'll be an actual solution to this soon!

I have been experiencing swollen lips and hives on various other parts of my body. Turnes out it is Pressure Uticaria. Uticaria is a deep tissue hive that occurs when you have an allergic reaction. A somewhat rare form of Uticaria is caused by applied pressure on the body part that becomes affected. If you apply hard pressure to a spot on your arm, for instance, and five to six hours later you devolep itching and swelling and slight redness then it is most likely Pressure Uticaria. The reason the swelling is so pronounced when it happens on your lips is because the tissue is so soft that the pressure from the initial swelling causes more swelling unitl your whole lip and sometimes both lips are severely swollen. The only treatment for this is a steroid you can get from your doctor. There is no known cause, prevention, or cure. This condition usually lasts for five to eight years and then goes away on its own.

Hi. After i got married i started experiencing swolling lips and i used to think it was stress because i used to work 11 hours a day 4 days a week and then go home and take care of my husband and home. But, when i became pregnant it stopped until now that my son is 2 years old. Now one of the sides of my upper lip would get swollen and when i take benadryl it barely helps, because there was this one time about 3 days ago that i took some benadryl at night and when i woke up my lip was still swollen and in the afternoon of that day my other side got swollen also and i took some more benadryl, and it still didn't work. Now, i have experienced that my right side eye got swollen in the middle of the night 3:30am and i went to the doctor and all she said was that it must be an allergic food reaction, but when i think about what i've eaten its nothing different from the usual, and so she gave me some eye drops. On thatsame day i had gone to the doctor my right eye had gone down but then the otheir eye started swelling also, together with my chin, but it lasted half the next day. Last night i took a shower and my hands were perfectly fine and when i came out the shower i noticedi was feeling my left hand weird and when i looked my skin was peeling off and feels heavier than the other, so i have no idea what all of this can be. I would really like some help because i have never ever been allergic to anything so i really feel uncomfortable with this situation,......Can someone please help out here...........?

P.S. When my lips would get swollen is at any time of day.......Day evening, ANYTIME

About 3 years ago I broke out in hives all over my body. The hives would come and go, but never completely stopped happening. My lips would also swell up occasionally. While some allergy medicines helped to control the hives somewhat, it did not help the lip swelling. I would always have to take benedyrl, which was annoying since it made me so drowsy. My throat never swelled up, just my lips. I went to several doctors and they just diagnosed them as hives and though when my lips swelled it was just hives in my lips. They also believed it could potentially be an allergic reaction to NSAIDS. After discontinuing use of NSAIDs, the lip swelling stop happening as often, yet still occured every now and then. The hives still happend a few times a week, lasting for hours. After a year of this I just stopped breaking out in hives. Now, 3 years later I occasionally will have a few hives every now and then, but never break out badly like I was. I also get the occasiona ip swelling every once in a while, which I take benedryl for. The doctors were never able to figure out the cause. Also now I have begun to take NSaids again and they have no affect on hives or lip swellling anymore. I also recently have been newly diagnosed with asthma, which I never had any problems with in the past. I believe somehow the asthma could be related to the other stuff. I really wish the docotrs knew exactly why my lips swell or I get hives so it could be stopped.

Lip swelling could well be caused by caffeine as I have a 15 yr old child who has this problem.

Hi !

I read the problem and I understand what mental stress you are going through.

I also faced this lip swelling problem , without any reason. As far as I know , I dont think I am allergic to any kind of food. Today also I faced this problem - when I woke up in the morning I found a swollen upper lip , which made me dull. I talked to my Guru - my mentor - and i came to know that this is because of stress, which I am actually going through because of some tensions.

So, if your daughter is not experiencing food allergies , it should most probably be STRESS.

So, I suggest your daughter to do meditation, yoga or exercise , laughing therapy, dance or to do anything which is a stress reliever for her. Especially, I suggest meditation - which helps in relieving stress and also has many other benefits.

Try to interact with your child and find what difficulties she is facing at school or with friends or something else may be bothering her. Try to boost her confidence. Remember, stress is the cause of many diseases. Dont worry, Be happy.

Drink lot of water - which many people dont drink due to ignorance - daily about 5 litres of water is recommended.

Ultimately, HAPPINESS is the keypoint for stress relieving.........Good Luck and God Bless you and your child.

hi, im 14 years old, and i have been getting my lip swelled up about three times since october of 2009, i have one today, and it just started. my whole upper lip is swelling up, and the only conclusion my parents and i have found is probably since i used to always get cold sores every month, and now i don't, we think i get cold sores very badly. and by badly i mean, BADLY. it doesn't go away for about a week. and this has ruined many things for me, im starting to think it's an allergy of some sort. but really no one knows. i put abreva on it, and it tends to go down. but since i ran out,i dont know what to use. im going to ask to go to a doctor, or something. i hate these things, i just want them to go away, cause the worst part is, i don't know when they come, how they come, or why they come, and they just show up unexpectedly during the night. and by morning, theres nothing i can do then to wait a week for it to go down. what should i do?

Just thought I'd leave my ideas to help any future individuals. Basically I have the same thing with gigantic lip swelling of the upper lip. I also have preceeding hives every episode. I am 20y/o and recently had a full STD screen, which said I am totally clean, so no simplex of herpes seems likely in my case. I'd venture to say most of the rest of you guys are in my same boat. I have only had the lip swelling on a few occassions, all of which, in retrospect, were during high-stress times for me like finals time and recently when I was starting a new apartment lease. Because anti-histamine drugs help me, allergies are most certainly the cause. And yes, for anyone who might be unaware, emotional stress is an impetus for the body to have an allergic reaction. Your body can also be sensetive to heat and other things besides alergens as we traditionally think of them.

Good luck.
-An EMT and Pre-medical student

hi,
i am 15 years old.I just got my braces on before a couple of months. At around the second month, one side of my upper lip began swelling. All of us thought it was because of the braces. But later, it started appearing more frequently.Most of the times, one part of my lip swells up, during the evening. It gets abnormally huge during the night, and begins to gradually subside during the day, when i'm at school.For a few days, we thought it was due to citric acid, or potatoes, or some kind of gas causing agents. I never use any kind of cosmetics. This thing irritates me a lot, and is getting out of hand day by day. Most of the times, it appears when i think of it. Please help me out. Right now a part of my upper lip and a part of my lower lip are swollen :'(

please somebody help me... i have very big upper lip and i'm a boy.. i don't know what to do... please give me any natural thing to reduce my lip size

thanks

I had this really badly once and the doc said it was a common reaction to the coating of a vitamin I'd just taken, since then I've randomly got it with no obvious triggers. It's never been as bad again since though because I always head it off with an antihistamine.