I relate to ALOT of the people here. My lips swell for no apparent reason. Usually it is the right side upper lip, left side corner of my mouth inside (though when large still noticeable on the outside), or my chin will get tight. None of these happen at the same time, it is first one then maybe the other the next day or several days will go by before the next one. Right now yesterday my upper lip swelled, that has gone down and now it is the left hand side corner of my mouth...................................

Yes it usually reaches its zenith within an hour or two but takes 24-30 hours before it is completely gone.........................................

When it first started it would happen in the evening.......this most recent times predominately it happens before noon. But it does not appear to care what time of day now...........................................

Yes there is no pain (with the exception of the uncomfort of the swelling), these is nothing, no sores, no nothing but the swelling. (so the herpes idea was a good one but on all the herpes sites they very specifically talk about canker sores, cold sores or some type of lesion on the mouth..........this swelling has none of that and never had)......................................................

It first happened about 15 years ago and really freaked me out, we went to the ER several times. They just patted me on the butt said allergy and sent me home. ..........................................................

Thinking it was allergy I started eliminating anything I was eating or took around a swelling. Trust me my diet got very small. The swelling has started again since Oct. and it continues. ........................................

I DO NOT believe it is an allergic reaction. Though I still try eliminating things when it happens. ...................................................

It is frustrating, scarey, I hate it and want it to go away. But even MORE then that I want a DEFINITE diagnosis of what it is so I can stop worrying about everything it COULD BE. ...................................................

Some of the things on here have offered other possibilities. ...........................................

I have MS and was told one day by a co-worker that her uncle also had swelling of the lips because of his MS, at the time I was SO RELIEVED to hear this, however since I started swelling again to make me feel less alone, I have posted to a couple of MS sites and low and behold they also pat me on the butt and say allerigies....................................................

I take a baby Beyer aspirin every morning and right now am considering eliminating that.....................................................

I am TIRED and don't want to play this game anymore. ...........................................

If you have or got a definite diagnosis of what it is PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE write me at ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use
..............................

Malorie

I have experienced the same exact thing, off and on for 5 years. Thinking it was stress at first. Now, it certainly isn't stress. But I do take allegra, pecid, benadryl and other antihistamines which do help. Zantac also helps. It's my lip usually - just one part of it and sometimes I get swelling on that side of my face as well. Sometimes I get hives all over my body. My bloodwork did show that my body is responding to some type of allergy. I am going to ask my doctor about herpes. Going to see a dermatologist and allergist as well. I wish you all the best of luck finding relief - I know how aggrevating it can be! And, mine does always happen at night also!

The same thing happened to me a few years ago, when I was 16-17. It started with lip swelling and eventually became severe hives daily for around 2 months. I was at the doctor often, as you can imagine, and they weren't able to diagnose anything, nor get rid of my awful symptoms. I developed a bladder infection a few weeks later (completely unrelated) and I was given antibiotics. The antibiotics not only cured my bladder infection but totally rid me of my reaccurring hives! To this day, we don't know what it was or why it was. The last 2 mornings I've woken up with a slightly swollen lip, which is how I came across this forum. Im really hoping it doesn't progress like it did in the past!

I still contend all this swelling of the lip and eyelid has to do with stress. Mine occurs when there is something immediate going on in my life. Right now, it's my husband who has just been discharged from the hospital with a poor prognosis. What could be more stressful than that? At any rate, I can almost say, for a fact, it is not my usual allergies.

I stopped drinking from tin cans and my swelling stopped, hope this might help somebody

I have had this same issue, I would get hives all over my body and benadryl would seem to help a bit but it would then come back the next day. for a year straight i dealt with this and would get lip and eye swelling once or twice a month to start with then it would be every week. i was put on steroids and different histamine blockers. this went on for a year and out of nowhere it went away. this was 3 years ago. about 2 months ago the hives started again and havent gone away and tonight my lip started feeling tingly and over the last 30 minutes the swelling has gotten so bad my lip looks about 3 times its normal size. i am 21 years old and have been checked for diseases and the doctors still have no clue whats causing this. i wish i could figure it out

I sometimes also get swollen lips. The other day I ate a nice shrimp dinner* and I experienced a rapid growth of my upper lip. I didn't understand why because I had eaten shrimp dozens of times before and nothing had happened to me. Well, I took Benadryl but it didn't help me much. At this point, my mom did not know that I had a swollen lip and I was trying to evade her as much as possible so that she didn't get worried. It was too hard to not show my swollen lip for it was HUGE! I couldn't lick my lips without a portion of my upper lip falling to the side or middle. I didn't know what was wrong. I had my suspicions...Maybe it was the shrimp, or maybe it was the drink I had sipped along with the dinner. I had no idea whatsoever and at this point, I was going to have to tell my mom or in the end she'd see my lip and find out for herself that I had a huge upper lip. And for not telling her, I would get into even more trouble for not being honest. In the end, I had to tell her. Though, I still don't see what triggered the swollen lip. Maybe it was the shrimp or the drink, I honestly have no idea. Allergic reactions are unpredictable in every way whatsoever. All I can suggest is to see a doctor about it and ask him to diagnose the problem because as it seems, many people have it so you're not the only one that has to endure seeing your daughter suffer with constant swollen lips. I hope you find a solution so that one day you can find a medication to stop it in its tracks. There's a cure for everything, even cancer, you just have to find it. I wish you the best of luck.

-Melissa

I am a 42 year old female.  I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 8 years.  It was in remission until last Sept. 2010.  I take plaqeunil, prednisone and mobic daily.  I have suddenly developed swollen lips.  The top is worse than the bottom, but both swell.  They never completely go down.  Benadryl really has no affect on them.  They are worse in the morning and will get slightly better throughout the day.  I started on Enbryl and took it for two months.  It was not helping me.  My rheumatologist took me off to see if I was having an allergic reaction to the Enbrel.  It has been 3 1/2 weeks and no improvement.  Please help in anyway.

I've had the types of problems listed in all your posts for a long time now, at various intervals. Not only my lip (upper or lower or both) will swell to sometimes double or triple the size, but also at times I get a swollen area around my nose or jawline. Sometimes it's inside my mouth, on the inside cheek. I can always feel it coming on because it starts feeling numb and sometimes the skin turns slightly red.  I've been to different doctors and two ear nose and throat specialists, also a skin specialist, with no answers. I've noticed if it happens at night and I lay down the swelling gets worse. This starts to go down in 2-3 hrs, usually all the way gone by 4 hrs. I've been to the ER and they gave me steroids. I'm 50 now but this has been happening since my 20's

Two of my cousins from Florida came up to visit for 2 weeks. While they were up here, Elise's(youngest of the two)upper lip became swollen in the evening for no apparent reason. Her upper lip was swollen on the right side and it looked like she had bitten it or got hit in the face, but she said she did not get hurt. After a while the swelling went down. We all assumed she just didn't REMEMBER biting her lip and we ignored it. Today in the evening(around the same time yesterday)her lip became swollen even more than it had been yesterday, and it seemed to be spreading quickly to her skin and to other places around her lip. We haven't given her any medication she is allergic to,it's not allergy season,and she hasn't eaten anything out of the ordinary. This has never happened to her before at home, or here. We believe it may be a perfume allergy,but we are not certain. Another thing we noticed is that the first day she had it, it was swollen on the right side, and today it was severely swollen on the left side. Elise says that her upper lip itches from the inside of her skin,and some other parts of her skin are itching in the same way. Does anybody know of any medications or home remedies to help Elise?

My best friend today had his lip all swollen,2 hours later everything was ok and now the swollen lip is back and he got me worried....He stopped smoking few weeks ago but he started smoking again few days ago...I first thought that this is a reaction from the cigarettes, some kind of allergy or irritation..The doctor said that it doesn't matters if you wasn't allergic to something before, the allergy could show up anytime...The other thing that I thought of is bugs. Maybe spider or other kind of bug. There is no sign of bite or something but sometimes, it's enough for some spiders to touch the skin and the skin will react with redness or swollen parts...Two years ago I had problems with my liver so the first day I got my lip swollen, after few hours everything was normal and during the night I had my upper lip all swollen again..The second day my upper lip was a little bit swollen but my eyes were swollen, big time, and I looked scary...Later that night my stomach was with red dots..The doctors made some tests and they gave me some medicines and told me that all of this was result of my liver....So if anyone had this kind of reactions he should make test on the liver and check that....
Tomorrow we will probably go and make some tests so I hope everything will be OK....Salud! 

Could it be Melkersson-rosenthal syndrome?

I also am having these reactions with portions of my lip swelling like someone just hit me, later in the day or at night. The only difference in my diet is that I started taking Aleve twice a day for knee pain as I wait to have orthroscopic surgery.  It really helps the knee, but it seems like whenever my Doberman Pinscher kisses me on the lips, my lips swell up.  She sleeps in my bed cuddled up to me, and I've noticed I'm itching a bit too like I did when I first got her. I suspect that the Aleve makes me more susceptible to an allergic reaction to my dog.  I do have pet allergies, but about two weeks after getting my dog my body adjusted to her dander and I've been fine with her until now.  It feels kind of like when I first got her, except I never had a problem with my lips swelling up.

Incidentally, my mother (R.I.P.) was severely allergic to all NSAIDs, and her lips would completely swell up the few times she took them.  I also notice that occasionally when my dog has been at day care with other dogs, I also end up sneezing (and so does she since she has allergies) and itching probably from their dander.

I wonder if any scientists have looked at the possibility that NSAIDs expose people to allergic reactions the wouldn't normally have if they didn't take them.  I suspect if I didn't have a dog I wouldn't have this reaction, since it seems that right after my dog kisses my face my lips swell up, but only since I started taking Aleve.  I don't have any other reactions, so I'm going to continue with the Aleve since without it I'd barely be able to walk.

Good luck with this problem everyone!

Incidentally, I've taken Aleve off and on for years with no problems or reaction.  This is the first time I've taken Aleve since getting my dog 5 months ago, and the 1st time I've ever had  this problem with lip swelling and a recurrence of itching in reaction to my dog. My dog takes Benadryl twice a day for her allergies - I'm going to add that and see if it helps with mine.

It is NOT necessarily herpes!!!  I have a 6 year old little girl that does the same thing.  It is called angioedema, and 9 times out of 10, you never figure out what you are allergic to, but it IS an allergic reaction to something.