I too am having this pronblem of a swollen lip and it is starting to get very bothersome. How do you go about this how did I get this. What do i do to fix it there are nights that I do not sleep because my lip feels itch and then bothersome. It gets to a point that it hurts. At first I thought that it might be an allergic reaction but I realized I was eating the same things on days that I did and did not have this reaction. What can i do I feel like I am going to go crazy. At first I thought that it was stress related but i noticed that it would occur on both days that I felt stressed and days that I was not stressed .

My lip is swelling as I type this! Over the last 3 years this has happened to me about half a dozen times. Initially I thought this was some kind of allergic reaction which still may be true as I had red chilli one evening and the swelling came with sickness and diarrhea. The following time red chilli was an ingredient in my meal previous to the swelling occurring. So I thought I'd discovered the cause. Sadly this was not to be. I stayed away from any kind of chilli for a few months and i then found that the swelling could be triggered by a slight bump or bite of the lip. i'm not talking a slight swelling due to a severe blow to the mouth, i'm talking my lip swelling to 4 times its normal size due to a slight bump on the lip. A trip to the doctors and a referal to a specialist after numerous tests just resulted in lots of shrugging and no answers as its very difficult to pinpoint a reason. Obviously taking care not to bump my mouth or eat red chilli, i thought id seen the last of this but recently this has happened again. Each time its a little more severe as last time I got a large swelling on my back (a hive I presume). I put the last occurrence down to a very slight bite of my lip, but it was so slight I thought this to be highly unlikely. After reading several of these forums i'm starting to think its definitely stress related. I have a close family member seriously ill in hospital as the moment and this latest swelling has no trigger (no chilli, no lip bite or physical trauma to the lip) so i am convinced this is stress related. Its good to know there is medication to take to suppress the swelling but I think many who have no answer to their swelling problem should consider stress or trauma as the cause of the problem. Knowing the cause is not a solution but it certainly makes you feel a little more in control.

This is the second time in two weeks, both evenings, when my daughter's lips have swollen to twice their size. Each time she ate something different, first time ice cream, second was spaghetti sauce. She wears braces so I thought that could be ii - i am going to call her dentist to ask that her wires be replaced with titanium which is supposed to be good for allergic reactions.

It's scary for me to see her that way, but she feels no pain. Only embarrassment.

I have a similar condition:

In my case.. i have had the cold sore herpes virus ever since i can remember since i was 4 years old. I used to get really bad outbreaks but as i got older the outbreaks became less and less severe. I now get a cold sore outbreak about 4-5 times a year.

I am 35 now and about 6 moth ago i started getting a tingly feeling in my lip telling me that an outbreak is coming.. I used the typical ViruMerz which i have been using for years. Later that day i noticed my lip starting to swell.

This was later at night and i though that its just a cold sore reaction... even though my upper lip never swell like that before.

I woke up in the middle of the night with a lip that was swollen to a size of roughly half my face and oozing some kind of sticky yellow liquid.

- I drove myself to the emergency room that night... the Dr there told me it was basically an infection of some sort and prescribed antibiotics/ benadrill.

I started taking Augmentine/ benadrill twice a day and the swelling/ oozing came down in the next 2 -3 days.

I stopped taking antbiotics about a week later.

The problem is that now every time i am feeling a cold coming on my lip starts to swell. Its not that a cold sore starts coming on.. its that the lip starts to swell like it did 6 moth ago. I start taking antibiotics and the swelling goes down for a couple of weeks. Then is starts up again and the only way to bring it down is antibiotics and antihistamine(benadrill)

Now i have the swelling sensation constantly and it feels like the lip is a little swollen all the time.. and i have red discoloration on top of the lip over the upper lip dimple.

In your case you can try antibiotics and see if it helps.

My own thirteen year old daughter had the exact same problem as you mom. Her upper lip began to swell for no reason. The lip swelled only on the left side and it always began around 7:00 p.m. Forget those who write or respond telling you that this is a sign of herpes or possible signs of worst things to come like cancer. We are fortunate to have one of the country's well known allergist in San Antonio. Although very expensive, no price could be placed on a cure for my daughter. No one wants to see their child suffer. After months of giving her allergy medicines such as Zyrtec, Benedril for the swelling {which by the way worked very well} and God knows what else, and after completely changing her diet, the problem continued. My biggest question was "Why did the swelling occur only after 7:00 p.m. and only on the left side of her lip. After a visit to the doctor who informed me that swelling of the upper lip is common and treats at least three cases each month, he informed me that the swelling is caused by not allergies but rather an infection in the sinus. When the sinus area fills with mucus, it becomes infected. we all have glands or veins in the sinus area that run to the rest of our body, run particularly through our lips. The infected sinus on the LEFT side of my daghter's face
causes the LEFT lip to swell. If the infected sinus was on the right side of the face, the left lip would then become swollen. Why was the lip only getting swollen after 7:00 p.m. It was a result of physical pressure being placed on her face. This made sense. On the days that the swelling would occur, my daughter would began talking on her razor cell phone begining at 6: 30 p,m. for at least one hour. The pressure applied to her LEFT cheek and face irritated the infection and initiated it to cause the swollen lip. After a through exam of her nostrils, sinuses, etc., it was clear that the infected sinus was on the left side. {This was proven later when I experimented with his theroy. On the days my daghter spoke on her phone for a long period, the swelling occurred}.

After determining that the swelling lip was caused by a sinus infection called ANGEONOMA, he informed me that Zyrtec and other allergy medicines that dried up the mucus in her sinus was the worst thing you could give to someone with a sinus INFECTION. He also said that although Bebedryl is good for the swelling, Benedryl often makes you sleepy. Instead he said that in a case where infection is present, we need to drain the sinus, not dry it up. He prescribed something called CEFPROZIL two times per day for the infection and Mucinex D once a day {Not just Mucinex} to help drain and not dry up the mucus. He also prescribed XYZAL for the swollen lip instead of Benedryl. XYNAL does not make you sleepy like Benedyl.

After taking the medicaiton, The swelling of the lip stopped completely and her nasal cleared up. I hope that you find this information helpful. Tell your sons and daghters that swelling of the upper lip is very common and that it will most likely be an infection in the sinus area. Don't assume that it is the beginning of something worse like cancer or herpes. There are other signs of cancers and herpes besdies just a swollen lip.
Good Luck.

Good Luck.

I am a 26-year-old female with dark red upper lip and some red discolortion of tongue also,

May be suffering with thrush, but symptoms are mild.

I do not think i have sinus infection.

I do not know exactly that it is from thrush or sinus infection

I am taking homoeopathic treatment

Almost three months ago, I broke out in hives all over the back of my legs (hives upon hives). Luckily they did not itch at the time. Since then, almost every night I go to bed with hives or wake up with hives that itch to varying degrees. They move around from my legs, knees, butt, arms, near my eyes, chest, and so on. I have been out of town to different states and homes, where I did not have reactions before, but now did. Any place I go I get the hives! I have found when I wear tighter pants, cross my legs, or sleep with heavier/warmer pants, I get more hives on my legs. I assume from the heat.

I went to my doctor, who thought it was an allergy to a change in laundry detergent. Tried the Clean and Free detergent, washed EVERYTHING, but no luck there. I was told to take Benedryll or Zyrtec for the hives and itching. But who wants to take drugs there ENTIRE LIFE for this stuff! I was given Prednisone, a corticosteroid, to try to get the "infection" out of my body. Instead, I broke out in the absolutely worst hives EVER! I wanted to rip my skin off it was so bad. Took a Benedryll and didn't take another one of the steroids. Doctors assume it was an allergic reaction. I was referred to an allergist, who took a ton of blood work ad told me that since the hives had lasted over 8 weeks, it was probably something auto-immune. I had to be patient and let whatever was in my body run it's course. So...come back in four months. Yeah!

Then, last night I noticed a tingling feeling in my lip, and found just the right had side of my upper lip had swelled to over twice it's size. First time this has ever happened. I had just taken a Benedryll for the hives, so I hoped it would be better in the morning. I wasn't so lucky! I called my doctor, and she had no ideas. Just as long as I can breath and swallow, it is OK. It's not OK to me though! Plan is to possibly go see an auto-immune specialist to figure out what could be causing it. If I have any luck, trust me, I will be back to let you all know. This is not fun or flattering! Does it seem like the hives and swollen lip is striking mostly females though?

History:
I am a 27 year old female. The only other person to get hives in my family was my Dad when he was in his twenties, but it lasted a couple days and was gone. My family has a history of thyroid problems, but all of the blood worked on my has said my levels are good.

im 14 years old and the same thing has been happening to mee. it all started around a year and a half ago. i was driiving home from a vacation in california. we stopped in burger king and got a bite to eat. about 15 minutes later i felt an odd tingling feeling in the upper right side of my lip. it swelled to almost twice its normal size. my mom then gave me a benadryl and it went away.
close to a year later it happened again. i had taken a headache so i took an advil. then i had some celery and took a hotter than normal shower. ten minutes later my lips, top and bottem (mostly bottem) had swollen to huge sizes! it was the same tingling feeling too. i took a benadryl about a half hour after we noticed it. my dad had told me that i looked like i had a duck bill. my mom sceduled an appt. with the allergist for the next morning. that morning it was still noticibly swollen, and that was after at least 15 hours!
i continue to get hives almost every night. this has been happening for almost a year now. my doctor perscribed allerga for me, she also told me to continue taking zertec and zicam. ive been on these meds for about 2 weeks and im sooo happy to say that i havent had hives. 2 nights ago though, i did get swelling in my lip. it was not tingly as it was before though. it was still a little puffy in the morning after a benadryl.
even though im incredibly happy that i have not had hives for sevaral nights in a row, i dont want to be on medication for the rest of my life. if anyone has any advice or a cure for this mysterious case, please let me know
oh, and im a virgin, so i know that its now herpes!

Good day, one of my fiance's eyes and one of his lips started swelling on Friday for no apparent reason. A few days later his other lip swoll up. He took Benadryl both times with some success in decreasing the swelling. By Tuesday (today), his upper lip started to swell again. He finally went to the doctor and was told the swelling was related to his blood pressure medication. The doctor gave him an IV (I don't know what was in it) in hopes that the swelling would go down. The doctor said the Lisenopril (and other medications ending in "pril") tend to cause such swelling especially in African-Americans. I hope this encourages others to visit the doctor if they experience something similar. You may have underlying reasons why the swelling is happening in your personal case.

Sounds like Angioedema
go to wikipedia.com and search it. See if it matches

Im 15 And This Has Happened To Me Twice.. I Went To The Doctors And They Told Me There Was Nothing I Could Take & To Just Leave It And It Will Go Down But It Doesnt Seem To Go Down Much It Takes Weeks!
Soo Does Anyone Know Anything I Could Take?

It is NOT herpes...my daughter is 3 years old and this past Friday night actually Saturday morning at 1230a was rushed to the ER with a puffy eye. Her eye puffed so fast and big the cop at the hospital thought it was a domestic case. Found out she had a middle ear infection and angioedema (see webmd about it) which caused the hives. We were prescribed moxicillan and benadryl and she's doing MUCH better.

I have a 15 year old daughter who has an occasional lip swelling that occurs mostly when she wakes up in the morning and gradually decreases through out the day. She also has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. She experiences aches and pains and electrical shock sensations and a rapid heart rate. I do not believe she has fibromyalgia. I don't know if the lip swelling is related or not but was wondering if anybody else had these symptoms and also has complaints of lip swelling?

I have had breakouts on my lips also, It starts at the top left side and throughout the day seems to move toward the corner of my lips then to the bottom. It first happend when i took lortab, I also had taken ibprophen..So i figured it was a reaction to that. I quit taking it. I also had small circles of swelling breakout on my arms or legs, bottom of my feet, my fingers would swell also..not all at once but here and there. It comes and goes. I also had tried an ex pill at a club once and did some coke..and i had a reaction to it..I will never do that again! If you have a teenager with this conditions, you might want to find out what they might be taking as far as pill and drugs. I have learned my lesson and I wont be taking anything like that again. It scared me pretty bad. I hope this helps any parents that may have concern with there child. Im 28 and have never had any other problems..this i believe is a drug reaction!