to be honest, around 9pm at night and it would swell a few days later...

could she be going out with a new guy friend a lot?

this has started happening to my 10yo been at hospital hours on end for severe allergic reaction!!

Anyways you may need to considering going back to your primary care DR and get a referral to a gastroenterologist for evaluation of Crohns disease.. common and an early symptom to IBD and IBS illnesses which are controllable....especially if everything else has been ruled out.

Good Luck
mom of 3 and grandchild too.

I've been getting this off and on (4-5 times a year) for twenty years or so. I'm a 57-year-old female. Mine always starts during the night and is apparent by the time I get up. It worsens throughout the day to the point someone across the street would be able to see it. Sometimes it's my upper lip, sometimes my tongue, sometimes just one side, other times the entire lip/tongue. It takes over 24 hours to resolve and can be VERY inconvenient if I need or want to go out that day. There is no pain, discharge, itching or rash. Just profound swelling; sometimes it looks as though the lip is going to split open. I've tried Benedryl (diphenhydramine), both topical and internal. I've even used my fiance's epi-pens twice, but nothing seems to help but time. There's no hurrying it; I just have to wait it out. It's especially frustrating when it is "on the rise". I know that I have to wait for it to keep getting worse and then wait for it to improve. It's a long 24-30 hours emotionally. I've got one building right now, that's why I'm on this site. Wish I could offer some words of wisdom, but it's just our "cross to bear", I am afraid.

I know the difference between cold sores and a swollen lip because I get both. The cold sore starts out itchy and a little bump. Putting some medication on it maybe twice a day, cures it before it breaks and gets crusty. A few days ago I had just finished my normal breakfast and my lip started to swell about 50% bigger, I could feel it getting bigger. I pointed it out to my wife who reminded me of the 3-4 other times this happened this year. Withing 1/2 hour, it was back to normal. Weird eh?

Hi. i have been dealing with all typed of swelling which started in aug of 09. Feet, hands, lips, throat, arm, shoulder, tounge have all been effected. Some instances are worse then others. ANd sometimes it one thing and others its many. Usually its one foot or one hand but i have experiencced both hands and feet at same time....which is the worst cause i cant walk or crawl. most embarassing ever. my whole face has swelled, which as you can imagine is VERY embarssing. I have gone back and forth with what was causing it. I was swelling about 2 times a week or more to at least one. FInally after 9 months of guessing i saw a specialist in Duke University. All this time i was thinking it was one of 3 types of angioedema. the doctor said he really didnt think it was angioedema at all cause i had no internal swelling or pain. its still a mystery. He put me on Fexadenadrine which is like allegra. I take 3 pills a day. I havent swelled since the appt back in july.

My husband gets the swollen upper lip. It always starts on his right side. He works third shift driving a truck, so I know it's not the pillows or bedding we use. He gets this once every two to three months and it lasts for a few days. This only started happening after he quit taking his acid reflux medicine, which the doctor told him he only needed for a year. He will be talking to the doctor to see about getting another prescription soon. They say that acid reflux, ulcers, high acid levels, etc. can cause the upper lip to swell. There are many health concerns for a swollen lip. Call your doctor the first time it happens, don't wait.

I'm a 50 year old celebate woman who had this happen for the first time. I thought maybe a spider bit me in my sleep. My bottom lip swelled on one side to twice its norm. Took benadryl and ibuprofen and after about 5 hours the swelling went away. Took a short nap that afternoon, woke up to find my TOP lip swollen to almost 3X its norm. Freakish...and I had to go on an engagement! Again treated with benadryl/ibuprofen. Other symptoms: dry mouth and sore lymph nodes. Possible causes: stress, indoor cat, change in weather (first cold front blew in). Or, as so many have pointed out, possibly herpes simplex.

Swollen Lips-I am 53 year old man. I never had swollen lip in my entire life until last 2 months. It comes and goes away. I thought Aveeno lotion was causing it. Stopped using. But problem exists. I take Altace and Aspirin since 2005. Now I stopped Altace, still exists. Now I am planning to avoid aspirin. Sometimes lower half( left or right), sometimes upper half ( left or right), sometimes entire lower or upper lip. I am sick and tired of this frequent problem. I went to Doctor, he told me probably Altace and Aspirin. So today, I stopped taking aspirin. Any one knows any thing? It happens any time of the day. How do I find ourt what causes it? Any time delay of reaction or it is instantaneous?

I do not think this is herpes my daughter has had the same thing. Once when she was about six she ended up in the hospital for three days because it had something to do with her white blood sells which an infection caused her blood cells to go crazy. Found out she had a whole in the back of her front tooth. Which she had pooled. Never had the problem after that. Until now this morning she woke up with a swollen lip. I checked he teeth and nothing wrong I have felt it to see if she had a pimple but nothing and no spider bite marks so why do peoplehave this happen?

im 14. my lip did this last night at a band comeptition and i looked horrible. i thought i was having an allergic reaction to a sting or something. my lip grew in size and it was super numb i had trouble breathing and still am. my lip is still swollen. i really wish i could help but i gave the benadryl a try and it actually worked:)

In case anyone is still reading this thread looking for reasons for lip swelling. I have one for you, I had it happen a couple ff years ago, my doctor had no clue why I woke up with a huge upper lip. Like injection gone bad! My husband was getting over a severe case of shingles at the time and they wonder could I somehow have gotten something from him, this was highly unlikely. I figured out the problem for myself within a couple days. Benzoyl peroxide, I had use some acne cream on a pimple near my lip. Now I have used this cream off and on over the years and on other spots on my face with no trouble, but if you research it you will find you can have an allergic reaction with swelling if you get it on you lip. My pimple was a small one touching the top of lip and I rubbed the cream thoroughly in. BAM! Allergy meds, ice pack and discontinue use. This is a likely scenario for women and esp. teenagers. Hope this helps someone.

Wow, I thought I was the only one! My Doctor said it may be an allergic reaction but I have not done anything different. I wish we could just find out why this is happening.

Upper Swollen Lip:

First occurred as the school year was winding down for the summer vacation. Without any apparent reason (I know now it was all the stress from getting the final grades in order for report cards, keeping the children busy with productive tasks because all grading was completed and just the rush and tension that comes at the end of any school year for the teacher. It's been so long ago, I couldn't tell you the name of the medication but, I did go to the doctor and get something which worked immediately. I am very allergic to so many things but, I'm certain this was stress. Another school year at the climax, I got a rash on my arm. Same thing....stress. Well, this was over 20 years ago and it's back.

This time the stresser is my husband's health. He has been in and out of the hospital numerous time with water weight gain so I'm not surprised the swollen lip is back. Today I will head for urgicare and get something because benadry and claritin just aren't helping. All the people who have written into this forum explaining their swollen lips may not be looking deeply enough to what's going on in their lives when this occurs to them. It's my guess you are stressed about something and may not even know it.

I am currently with swollen upper lip. This occurred right after eating fried Black fish, which I had eaten a year or so ago. I have never had any allergy (for 57 years). Then Last year I was prescribed a drug called Gabapenatin or something like that, for pain (fibromyalgia). The left side of my face swoll up.

I just took a benadryl pill. Nothing so far but I am hopeful.

To the person insisting that herpes is the cause, and those assuming that is the culprit, I strongly urge you to seek a medical analysis
to determine what is wrong. After researching this Last year, I have found there are literally hundreds of reasons for this and other reaction symptoms.

Hope this helps someone.

Angioedema could be the cause. My daughter developed it as a teenager and my husband had his first episode today. Consult a dermatologist. Hope this helps!