I too had some hives about one week ago, on my arms in the evening. Never had hives before. Then this am I awoke @ 4:30am to have my upper lip swollen.(looked like someone who had to much Botox) Yes it feels like a waist of time to try and find a doctor that knows whats going on with patients no days, but they take your $ in a heart beat.

I have been dealing with this same condition for about 4 years.  It is a pain because you never know when it will happen.  I was told by my doctor to see an allergist and they did lots of blood work and allergy testing.  For me I am allergic to pollen, dust, grass, certain plants, trees... the list goes on.  I take Zyertec everyday and it seems to help.  Zyertec does not hurt your kidneys or liver so it is pretty safe.  I am highly allergic to   

Histamine, so Zyertec keeps it in check most of the time.  Hope this is of help to those of you that suffer from Angioedema .  If you have swelling in your throat area you may want to carry an epi-pen with you at all times, just in case. 

I had this problem for over a year now, I went to the doctors and they told me it was herpes and that it would go down and then start in esposides but I hasn't gone down since, so I went to the doctors and she gave me anti-hysistinmins it helps for a bit but then goes back up staight away. Can any prescribe something that actually works, because peoe often ask me if ive had Botox and I can't even explain what or why its happening..

Sounds like Hereditary Angioedema

So I had this same thing happen tonight and was freaking out. There are some strange similarities to what people have posted, and what happened to me. I got home and greeted my cat, gave her a kiss (as usual) and flopped down on the sofa to watch tv. I took vitamins..D, Garlic, and Vitamin C - the exact same mix you had taken! About an hour later I started getting hives, then the right side of my upper lip got really swollen. I've done nothing different from my usual routine. It's awful, because everything online regarding this is just a bunch of people with the same questions, but no real answers. The only thing that seems to be consistent is: herpes, and allergic reaction. Now, I do have the herpes virus...and I also think that hives are a form of herpes. Occasionally when I am stressed out I get hives - but no stress today. If I have a cold, I usually get 1 cold sore (herpes), but it is always small like a tiny pimple. So, am having a hard time believing this is a herpes outbreak because there is no small red dot. Instead I just have a fat lip like someone punched me. My immune system may be a bit run down because it's the end of a tiring week and also my monthly cycle started today - which can cause reduced immunities. I just don't know what could cause this...still looking for answers. l took a Benadryl and it helped slightly. No fever or any other symptoms, so hopefully this isn't a serious health issue. Just so weird how random it was - litterally popped up out of nowhere. Glad to see I'm not the only one who has had this strangeness happen though! Good luck on the quest for answers.

hi, so this has just happend to me, i have hives and  my top lip has suddenly just puffed up. It happened at about half 6-7 oclock. It has happened before at the same time, but i have a coughy coldy kinda thing too. It's really annoying me. oh and im only 14 

I have had the lip swelling twice before in my life, once when I was 30 in Costa Rica. I also have eie swelling im both eyes, especially underneath and at the inner corners. The latest time I got it, was last night. I had gun surgury yesterday and felt really tired afterwards so I took a nap. Around 8:00 I took Ibuprophen for the pain, and around 10:00 at night, my eyes and upper lip stareded swelling. I have two theories. One is I am allergic to Ibuprophen and two, that there is a virus dormant in my nerve endings, that was disturbed when I had the surgury. It may have been a type of Herpes, though I have not had genital Herpes or blisters. It could be from chicken pox or measles complications also. Chicken pox has been known to linger and appear later as shingles. I sometimes have hives, and it could also be related. I think it was related to the physical trauma of surgury or stress.

Oh sorry about the typos. I didn't have my glasses on. I meant to say "gum surgury". and "eye swelling in both eyes"

I'm sorry, i know this is a randomly and late reply, but there might be people out there who will start believing nonsense. You can't get a cold sore - herpes, from intercourse. A cold sore will only afflict the mouth area, and though it's a virus in your system, it's only infections on the site of the sore.

Hello I get the same thing my eye's and lip's swell the swelling goes down by the next day. This is called Angioedema please google it. It is when histamine release from allergic cells. Approximately half of people with these symptoms experience both urticaria and angioedema; 40% experience only urticaria, and 10% experience only angioedema.  Angioedema does not make the skin red, normally it is not itchy, and it most often involves swelling of only one side of the face at a time. Many people describe the symptoms of angioedema as tingling, numbness or a burning sensation, like after going to the dentist. The swelling of angioedema typically lasts for many hours, and once the swelling has gone away, the skin appears completely normal –- there is not typically any bruising, flaking, peeling or scar formation. My ENT gave my this information. I am currently on regular allergy med's as well as shot's so I hope this work's. I did not start tho get this until my mid 30's I have had allergies all my life and when I started to swell and it did not stop and my lip was three times the regular size I know I need to go to the ENT cause this scared me. So funny my ENT doctor us to get it also.  

I have RA as well. I've been having this swelling lip thing for the past couple of years but I haven't had an episode in awhile. Just recently, at night, my upper lip started swelling again after I had taken my Enbrel injection. I didn't think they were related because I've been taking it over a year with no problems just an injection-site reaction. this was Thursday, it was swollen until 9am the next day. It is now Monday and out of the blue, around 1030am my lip started swelling again slowly getting bigger all day. My lip is now huge. It doesn't hurt and I haven't come into contact with anything out of the ordinary for me. I don't know why this happens. I never take anything for it, it always goes away eventually. The week before I had weird bumps in different places every morning when I woke up. They itched a little bit but not bad. We've checked for bugs. Nada. I don't know what's going on!

my sister had swelling like that and it turned out that she has MS. she also found out she was allergic to all sorts of things like pine trees.

I cannot say for sure, but your daughter may have Melkersson Rosenthal Syndrome. I have Melkersson Rosenthal Syndrome myself and her symptoms sound very similar to mine. I am a 28 year old female and I have been dealing with these symptoms since I was 14. MRS is a very rare disorder and very few people have even heard of it including doctors and practitioners. I have had to find out most of the information I know about it through experience and self study and research. I started a facebook group for Melkersson Rosenthal Syndrome and here is a link for it.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** 

I invite you and your daughter to join my group. At the moment, most of the members of the group do not have MRS, and they are just friends and family of mine that joined in support of the cause, however there is another girl besides me that has MRS and joined the group. I am seeking new members so that we can connect with one another and find out what we have in common, and what has worked for us and what hasn't. I feel that this is something that I need to be proactive about and I hope I can help others in the process of my discovery. I will share with you that I have found a great improvement in the reduction of my symptoms through eliminating gluten and dairy foods from my diet. I also find that cinnamon and the food additive sodium benzoate aggravates my symptoms. I know that doctors classify this disease as a neurological disease, but I think it originates from the digestive tract and has symptoms that are neurological in nature. I think that the symptom that most people focus on is the swelling in the lips and face, but there are other symptoms that we cannot see outwardly, such as digestive problems and pain in joints and back for no reason. I have also learned that no two cases of MRS are alike and some people have varying symptoms and not everyone has all of the textbook symptoms, but some do.

okay so on sunday i took aleve due to having painful menstrual cramps.. 1 hr later i took midol. Later that evening, i felt my lips different and noticed they were gettin swollen. I assumed it would go away the next morning, but it didnt. I woke up w blisters inside the upper lip and cut/crust on the side of my mouth. A while back (idk how long), but i took aleve & my lip got swollen too but it went away the next day. I went to the dr on monday & i was told i am allergic to Aleve (the ingredient that is inside N.??) Dr advised me to take benadryl.. I have not noticed any change.

What do I do??

Swollen Lips, my father is 70 years old and had his first allergic reaction approx. 2 years ago. Out of no where, one side of his lip became massively swollen within minutes. We attributed it to the fried shrimp he ate before the incident and he avoided any further consumption of shrimp. about 6 months later the same reaction happened but he had no shrimp. He was eating a dry pita pocket when it occurred. A year has gone by without any further reactions and his dr. prescribed an Epi-pen for emergency use. About 2 weeks ago, my father woke up that morning and had his regular coffee and ate a pecan sandie cookie. His lip became so swollen, that he had to inject hisself with the epi-pen. It didn't get worse at the time and eventually went down after 3 days. Today the same thing happened only he had a bowl of cereal with strawberries. So the allergen is not a certain food that he is consuming. We have thought of everything including his denture tablets that he uses for soaking his partials to the toothpaste. I'm afraid the next reaction he has might affect his breathing because this last reaction definitely was worse with swelling and even had some shock symptoms such as rapidly decreasing blood pressure. It is very frustrating that the doctors can't figure out what it is that he is allergic too. He has not had any new medications during any of his severe allergic reactions. One doctor said it could be his blood pressure medication that he developed an allergy to but is seems like this could not be a likely culpret because he has taken it 2 times a day for several years. And 2 weeks ago when he had his allergic reaction, why didn't it repeat after he took his evening dose or any of the doses over the last two weeks? We are really worried about this because we know anaphylactic shock can be fatal. We are keeping a close eye on his breathing and his tongue to make sure the swelling doesn't reach these areas, if so, we will rush to ER after giving the epi-pen. My father doesn't want to take epi-pen now because he found out from his primary doctor that he is to go straight to ER after administering the epi as it can cause fatal heart arrhythmia's and or swelling could rebound after first dose and require another dose. Frustrated& cannot find trigger allergen. So we are in the same boat as you.