Yeah, I get the same thing, one side of my upper lip sporatically swelling up. It's flared up as I type this. It's occurs very rarely but I have noticed it a handful of times over the past few years and thought it was really weird. I was hoping that it might of been an alergic reaction to something but I did suspect it might have been herpes but was kind of in denial. Alas, it seems my fears were true, so it looks like I'll be getting some of that 'voltron' or whatever its called next time I'm at the chemist. But just to alleviate the mother of the 15 yr old girl, even if it is a herpes virus, which has been pointed out that most people carry, it doesn't mean she's having sex, she could have just got it from kissing.

Wow....I can't believe that I'm not alone. In the past 6 months, I have had 4 episodes of lip swelling. Each time it happens, only one side is affected. First the bottom, then the top, bottom, and this a.m., the top again. I wake up with a small swelling on the inside of the lip, on the corner and within 2 or 3 hours, the entire lip is swollen so big that it looks as if it could burst. By evening it is gone. I am 40 years old and have never had anything like this before. 7 months ago, I had a complete hysterectomy, and while in the hospital was diagnosed with Chronic Kidney disease/failure and high blood pressure. I now take hormones, and meds for blood pressure, uric acids, and water pills. Kidney failure also causes iron low iron levels, but my levels have been fine at my check-ups. Not to mean that today my iron is not low....after reading the entry about taking the iron pills and that helping their swelling, I just took some iron. I hope that it will help and that I can actually leave the house today. My top lip is so swollen that I look like a duck!!! I have also tried benadryl, but it just makes me sleep. I don't take aspirin, and I haven't had any type of NSAID since I was diagnosed with CKD. I also do not have any type of Herpes, so no, I am not in denial. If there are any other suggestions, I would love to hear about them. Thanks for reading!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaphylaxis

check this out, same symptoms. My lip just starts to swell, starts with like a small ball, but then spreads and my upper lip turns huge!

got hives too

also wheezing on occasion

I have had the case of swelling of the upper lip for quite some time (The swelling happens the most on the upper lip, but also to a lesser degree on my lower lip). When this happens, my lips are swollen and dry for 4-12 days. Then afterwords, a crust or scab forms around the part of the lip that was swollen, and and all the stuff inside the lip oozes out (A very uncomfortable, dry, itchy feeling). From experience, I know not to touch my lip, stop brushing my teeth (if it's really bad), and not to eat citrus or shellfish during this period of swelling.

I can't count how many times this has happened to me, but at least more than eight times in the last four years.

this has happened to me 2!I always take Zyrtec in the morning so my upper lip wont get swollen and soon im going to the doc to check my iron levels

I have the same problem - it started for me from a year ago. Then I realized that it was due to allergic reaction, whenever I was using the chapsticks that have more than SPF 5 and also the sunscreens that have SPF more than 30.
From then on, I was trying my best to not using them. However, sometimes my lips do get swollen when I use different swimming pools - not sure still as to what's the cause but it just gets cured by itself, only that it causes so much dryness as they get normal.

I have the same problems. Waking up with swollen lips, hives etc. I am allergic to Citric Acid and MSG.

I now take a Zyrtec every evening and watch my diet. I still have occasional flare ups (once every few months) but it's much better.

Taking benedryll in large doeses also helps. Zertec is supposed to be particularly good with swollen lips (agidna?)

I have had similar symptoms for years. I am a 27 yr old white male, in good health and have no other known problems. It first started for me years ago when i got a cold sore. I took abreva for it, thinking it would solve my cold sore. Well, i obviously had a reaction to it as the next day my upper lip swelled HUGE from left to right. I went to the hospital and they gave me steroids and benedryl. It eventually went down and i was fine for about a year. Then it happened again, and from that point started happening more frequently. I have been to the doctor and allergist and they have not been able to figure it out. I now have swelling in many different areas. I have had this swelling experience in my eyelid, lips, hands, wrists, and feet. It is only ever one area at a time, and only one side of the body at a time. Benedryl has always seemed to help it go down, it just makes me so drowsy. I have been taking zyrtec for about a year, and i would say it has happened less this year, but i still do get the swelling on occasion. Also, contact causes this exaggerated swelling as well. Like if i get hit in the face, i know i will get the severe swelling, and that Benedryl will help it go down in a few hours. I hope someone will eventually figure this out!

The day before yesterday, I noticed a fever blister starting to form on my upper lip, but I was in the middle of school and couldn't do anything about it. (I'd like to try ice, as I've heard that stops the stupid things dead in their tracks if you catch them early.)
(Mind, the only discrepancy in my day was eating a bowl of broccoli soup and a salad my friend and I cooked up, but I've never shown any allergic reaction to food before.) Once I got home, I didn't put anything on my lip, because, within my experience, nothing significantly helps, but I did arrange for an appointment with my doctor, hoping for some Valtrex. So I wake up the next morning to find that my upper lip has swollen to epic proportions.

I've had this virus since I was little (my grandmother passed it to me, I believe, and I'm seventeen now), but this is the first time I've ever experienced any swelling. I used ice; my mother suggested Benadryl. No effect whatsoever. As I type this, it's been over twenty-four hours since I woke up with the problem, but we're still swollen.

My appointment isn't until Monday, before which I have two more days of school and two days of work, and I really don't plan to go anywhere looking like an unfinished Botox patient. Can anybody help me out at all?

yesteday i was talking on the phone and the swelling of my upper lip started around 9.i dont think its a sign of herpes since im only 13 and has not lost my virginity.any orther reason?

I am a 16 year old girl, and I have had the same problem
My upper lip and eyelids were swollen and this was accompanied with hives.

Swelling of the upper lip and eyelids can be caused by mucus build up in those areas.

There are plenty of things that could set this off...Allergies change throughout time, and it could be that she has developed and allergy that you didn't know about.

Also, stress can trigger these reactions as well because stress weakens the immune system and this makes it harder for your body to fight off allergens. Her body is probably making to much histamine. Unless she has difficulty breathing or swelling of the tongue or throat...I don't think it should be problem.

I'm another sweller. Started about 12 years ago, usually in the lips, face, and tongue. Tongue so swollen you can't talk, swallow, or even close your mouth. Gross! And very painful. After a year of that c**p, finally realized it was ALEVE that was the culprit. The last time I took that was 4 days before my wedding, and was the worst episode ever. Thank goodness for prednisone had the swelling down in time for the ceremony.

!0 years of avoiding Aleve and all other pain medications and absolutely NO symptoms. Well, that is until about 18 months ago, they mysteriously started appearing again and I can't figure out what the trigger is this time.
Getting close though and pretty sure it's the preservative Sodium Benzoate, which is in a lot of stuff. I try to eat all natural food, but still have an episode when I eat something with that and forget to read the label carefully. It's in a lot of liquids - sodas, soy sauce, salad dressings, syrup, BBQ sauce, you name it. Really a pain to have to worry about. Sometimes I go on an all fresh made fruit juice and vegetable diet just to take a break from those stupid episodes. Once made the mistake of adding 1/2 teaspoon of soy sauce to my veggie juice to salt it up a bit. Lip started swelling within minutes. Doh!

Hi guys, I'm only a final year medical student so not actually a doctor but came across these posts whilst I was researching c1 esterase inhibitor deficiency. This is a hereditary condition which causes intermittent lip swelling, so you could always go to your GP and get a simple blood test which checks for the relevant antibody in your blood, which will indicate if you have the condition.

Hope this helps

xx :D

i am experiencing these hives, but more so lip swelling and i think for myself it is due to an underlying tooth infection. i was recently told by my dentist that i have a deep root canal that needs filling, and that there was also an infection there, so now i am a course of antibiotics to treat that. i think the body's immune system reacts in response in his way as it tries to fight off the infection and thus the recurrent lip swelling. i will let you know how it goes after my tooth is all sorted. am taking amoxicillin for the infection and loratidine for the swelling.

extreme cold can also affect one, and causes mainly hives, or just bathing with cold water, you itch firstly then the hives just appear. been there as well!

good luck to you and i hope you can find what it is, herpes is not universal in this condition, its only to a few. Some pple with hiv get unexplained swellings.....again that is not universal, so u can't place everyone under the same umbrella.

Most of you are describing a condition called hereditary angioedema; type it into Google images and see photos.